What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

908F0241-7D3D-46F8-8882-14DE891935FF.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 10 Penultimate shave today with the Eddison.​

Discovery Adventure week 10 and the Penultimate shave with the Eddison Stainless and for for this whole Discovery Adventure. I am feeling trepidation as I don’t think that I want this to end. But end it must. A great shave today, no blood, redness or a anything out of the ordinary just a great shave to end 2022.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

F5B964AB-E895-4F4A-B157-A5496CCF5A43.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 10 Final Shave of the Adventure.​

Well my 10 week Discovery Adventure Challenge has finally come to an end. After 10 weeks and 70 shaves my last remaining blade has seen its last shave and entered the razor blade receptacle. Today’s shave being the first for 2023 was still close but I did finish up with one nick on my cheek. I have enjoyed this challenge immensely although the Timor blades left a lot to be desired. I must thank @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for arranging this challenge and supplying the blades for us. It has been fun and I will miss adding my posts in the future.

Date
365 days of shaving1/365
(100%)
GRUME January1/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slant (SW-NE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
Eddison (1)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
MWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

A very happy New Year brothers!

The last of the Discovery Blade Adventure blades went in the Timeless this morning. Based on past performance I should be discovering along for most of January! I have practically only used the Discovery blades throughout November and December. Again, hats off to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for putting this adventure together and so far it has been a wonderful ride.

I was better in dialing in water and soap for a luxurious lather this morning. MWF performed splendidly and I had the same experience as yesterday: not a full blown BBS, but a BBS post shave feel nonetheless. And LOTH seal of approval for this soap - she liked it very much.

Excellent shave for an excellent start of 2023.

@Grundi, Happy New Years and as always thank you.
My wait is finally over. First shave with the Timor blade. 1.65 Ti WR2 with B&M Death soap. End results was a super close shave, glasslike on 4 days growth. The shave itself was not comfortable. Very scratchy and not smooth, but no sting from the AS. I’ll see if the next few smooth out but I am happy with the results. Good way to start out 2023.

Happy new year. Caught some respiratory crud and getting over it.

Timor blade one shaves 2-5

Start of the second shave it was obvious which side of the razor had been used more as it was far smoother. While it got smoother it did not feel sharp. Pretty uninspired by the performance. Could have binned the blade but kept pushing a while longer. I will not be purchasing Timor blades.

Eddison blade one shave 1-2

Carbon R2 Ti web plate .71 - back to back day shaves - slightly better than Timor not feeling sharp or aggressive.

New Years Day shave:

Eddison blade 1 shave 3
Razor R41 wanted to try a more efficient razor
Bowl Dirtybird Scuttle - made in VA rather than Maine
Brush Shavemac Ebonite two band
Soap MDC Forgue
Thayer’s Rose Witch Hazel
Stirling A/S Tea Tree

New to me R41 has been feeling great with pre-war Astra Green. I wanted to see if the more efficient razor would help the Eddison blade. Ok shave - seemed a lot duller and less smooth than the Astra Green. No nicks but in buffering after two pass shave felt grippy and not sharp.

Bolzano (German made) are the champion for this shaver.

Best wishes to all for a great new year. Thanks for allowing to participate - it has brought me joy and gratitude.

Amazing Adventure
Jan. 1, 2023

Razor: Razorock German 37
Blade: Eddison, use four
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum

I had an extra two days’ growth, a four-day beard, but the Eddison/German 37 took care of it in one pass. Second pass was as easy as any other day.

Some resistance in mustache and elsewhere and skipping on the jawline. I’m getting better at learning this razor, knowing when to pull back so I don’t overshave, but it’s hard to know when a blade is done, given the extra variables. That said, I think it’s four for this blade. Had a few weepers, but none persisted to the aftershave, and some irritation but not much. Some stubble under jaw and on mustache where I held back, mostly still pretty impressively smooth.

Somehow the holidays slowed down both my shaving and posting. I still have some shaves left in these three blades, but I'm ready for a more casual approach to my DEs. Less blade and razor juggling for a bit.

It was a wonderful Adventure. Discovering the Eddison was the biggest plus, but my reversal from disdain to esteem for the Bolzano and Timor was the big surprise.

Thanks @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for a great, eye-opening participation PIF!
21425621-87EA-4CBA-91F6-3439BB94EB8D.jpeg

Somehow the holidays slowed down both my shaving and posting. I still have some shaves left in these three blades, but I'm ready for a more casual approach to my DEs. Less blade and razor juggling for a bit.

It was a wonderful Adventure. Discovering the Eddison was the biggest plus, but my reversal from disdain to esteem for the Bolzano and Timor was the big surprise.

Thanks @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for a great, eye-opening participation PIF!
View attachment 1581538
Well those are some fine razors to be juggling around!

Guido

Timor Blade #2, Shave #3

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Timor (3)
Brush: Yaqi synthetic
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Lather: L’Occitaine Cade
Aftershave: Stirling Executive Man

The shave was a little rough. It was technique, the blade, or the razor. Not sure which, but the lather was great. I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

C86C472E-C343-4DA6-A37A-6BD53F8A0BF1.jpeg

Adventure 15 - Second Bolzano (2)
RazoRock Lupo 72 SB w/ super knurl handle, RazoRock BC Silvertip, La Toja Shave Stick

About a week and a half of growth built up since the last shave, but the Bolzano in the Lupo slid through it without concern. A no frills kind of affair in the end, effective and comfortable, but nothing really worth calling attention to, heh.

Timor Shave Blade #2, Edge #1, Shave #4

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Timor (4)
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Lather: L’Occitaine Cade
Balm: Cannon
Aftershave: Bootlegger’s Perfecto

This blade and razor are giving me some nice DFS+ shaves. And the soap as well. My urge to switch around is pulling in one direction, but my face says I should stick with this combination for longer.

1C63EFBC-830F-4F90-8BB9-DB2CE06B9470.jpeg

Timor shave 3
Same 1.65 WR2 and B&M Death soap
One side of the blade is definitely much smoother than the other. I can get a fine shave with this one but it’s scratchy at best. Hoping a few more shaves will smooth out both sides. If not, looks like this would be the looser in the group. Either way what an enjoyable discovery.
4775BA92-185F-4939-B31A-1353384AE7CA.jpeg

96F33654-6144-431C-80F1-A6721B0CF7B8.jpeg
035C1DF4-8DCE-4F0B-A403-90A1BA3C9ED3.jpeg

Discovery Blade PIF / BADGERary

Pre: Hot shower

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Eddison Super Stainless (D13)

Soap: Stirling Soap Company - Alighieri
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Company - Alighieri
Finish: Stirling Soap Company - Alighieri

I had to do a quick shave so I opted for the Blackbird with a day 13 Eddison blade. The Blackbird is a beautifully efficient razor and this Eddison blade has been the biggest surprise (for me) of 2022. This blade has blown away any and all expectations I had about what a double-edge blade can do.

For an early morning, rainy day shave Alighieri just felt like the right choice. It's scent is an homage to Fahrenheit by Dior. Enough said.

The Heritage Collection Ever-Ready easily whipped up some great lather. Enough for a good quick four-pass shave leaving me with a nice DFS shave.

I then finished things off with some matching EdT and off I went...

Take care my friends. Happy Saturday and enjoy your shaves!

Date
365 days of shaving7/365
(100%)
GRUYERE7/365 (100%)
GRUME January7/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
Eddison (2)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Lavanda
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Slightly pressed for time today and so I was less diligent in my follow through (and a bit careless during the ATG). In these cases the Ti95 shines especially when paired with an excellent blade such as the Eddison. The simple passes and I was wonderfully smooth and soft.

I noticed that yesterday’s combination of the Matador and the Personna did a remarkable job. Even this morning I was already at SAS level and feeling quite smooth actually. Would not have guessed that from happening. I believe the Matador benefitted from the longer handle (as opposed to the Fat Handle or Lasta Handle I normally use).

Lavanda was sitting idle since the summer holidays and Shave Yahtzee proposed using it today. Excellent lather with a wonderful scent ensued (while bringing me back to the camping site). My badger has no backbone left and all it is a nice floppy lather painter.

Straightforward and efficient shave with very fine results.

Adventure 16 - Second Bolzano (3)
RazoRock Lupo 72 SB w/ super knurl handle, RazoRock BC Silvertip, La Toja Shave Stick

Another nice shave with this combo, but I felt a little scratchiness from the blade, so it's on to the second Timor with the next adventure!

Date
365 days of shaving12/365 (100%)
GRUYERE12/365 (100%)
GRUME January12/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WTGC: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Mirrored Gillette Slide (NW-SE in a NE-SW motion)
N: Mirrored Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Mostly straight/Slanted (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Swedish SwingEddison (2)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
MWF
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

The Swedish Swing is my latest acquisition from the last day of December. I finally jumped at the opportunity of having one after Jack Goossen planted the mental seed for it. And when Jack says something is good it is, because he knows the shaving trade and he is miles in front of me.

Shave Yahtzee provided the third Eddison blade which is a very fine blade in my book. The combination is a shaving laser. After the first pass I had DFS cheeks. I hesitated to do a two pass shave, but I like the combination and I want to minimise irritation. The passes and blissfully smooth.

A very fine addition to the collection and again an example of a razor you could shave with daily and need nothing else to get excellent results.

More details can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Top Bottom