What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - Can You Fffeeeeelll The Difference?!?

Shave one and two of the Super-Max:
IMG_7531.jpeg
IMG_7635.jpeg

Shave one was decent. Good shave overall, just not as smooth shaving as the Gillette Platinum. Shave 2 took care of that though, the blade smoothed right out and provided a very nice 3 pass with some touch ups DFS+.

Have a great day y’all! 😃😎🤙

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9501.jpeg

Blade challenge can you fffeeeelllll the difference.​

Third shave for this week and third shave on the Black Dot Gillette Platinum Blue Box White Lettering blade. Another good shave this morning, this blade is working out pretty well for me. No blood, weepers etc and hardly any sting when I applied my Alum Block. I have four more shaves left in this challenge and I am hoping that they are all like this morning.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9517.jpeg

Fourth shave for this week and fourth shave on the Black Dot Blue Box White Lettering blade. Another great shave this morning, nothing to report but a great shave with a great blade.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9533.jpeg

Fifth shave for the week and fifth shave on the Gillette Platinum Black Dot Blue Box White Lettering blade. Another good shave this morning, no blood etc and very little sting when I applied my Alum Block. I really like these blades, so far they are working really well for me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9551.jpeg

Second last shave in this blade challenge. Sixth shave for this week and sixth shave for the Black Dot Gillette Platinum blade. Another good shave this morning, not a lot of sting when I applied my Alum Block and no blood. These blades are pretty darn good IMHO. I like them a lot and it will be sad to finish this challenge tomorrow morning.

Razor: Merkur 38c aluminum blue barberpole 💈
Blade: Gillette Platinum #2 shave #4(silver)
Soap: WSP gaelic tweed w/menthol sprinkles ☃️ 🥶
Pre Shave: PAA menthol cube & Stirling glacial ❄️
Brush: Frank shaving G5B
Aftershave: WSP Gaelic Tweed

Last shave for this blade,which isn't bad since I shave like every 3-5 days. It slowed down I think, but shave was still good 7/10.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_9567.jpeg

Final shave in this blade challenge. What a fun challenge it was. I would definitely use all these blades in a blade rotation, they all worked well for me. Todays shave was no different to the last six. I had a really good shave, no blood and only a small amount of sting when I applied my Alum Block. Thanks to @Grundi, @Space_Cadet and @Tathlum for supplying and sending out the blades. I really enjoyed using these blades for the last six weeks.

Razor: Merkur 38c aluminum blue barberpole 💈
Blade: Gillette Platinum #2 shave #1(black)
Soap: SVC Cubebe
Pre Shave: Stirling glacial ❄️
Brush: AP shave co G5B
Aftershave: Stirling Triumph

Good shave, but to me the black feels more draggy, but still somewhat smooth.

2 head/face shaves to report, both had 5 days dense growth.
First: planned head shave w new to me Gillette Milady Decollette OC with a new Gillette Plat.
I guessed I needed an open comb at least for the first pass..... this razor was new to me.....and it was a total failure....did not cut smoothly.....so I had at hand a new to me Merkur 37G w a 3rd use Feather.....this one saved the shave.
I then tried the Gillette Plat blade using a new to me New Short comb in the face and also was rough......the Merkur Slant w feather saved the shaves. This two failures I will directly attribute to the razor and NOT the blade. Interestingly when I rinsed the Milady Decollette OC USA, there was a LOT of stubble on both sided of the blade.....I had twisted it tight...I thought, using a plastic washer.

Second Head face shave today:
I put the feather 4th use in a Black Flair Tip 1969 and tried hard a head.....was NOT smooth (mind you this blade was top notch last time). I finished the shave this time using again the Merkur G37 with the Gillette Platinum (from last time, use
#2). The head shave was smooth w the G37. Now to the face , I tried the Flair Tip.....awful, put the Feather in a SuperSpeed no date.....and it was also rough (surprised.....these are usually good, it was the 1st time I used this one razor, that looks new(ish).
So I finished the shave w the G37 w Gillette Plat.

Take home message here: The Merkur G37 beat 4 Gillette razors.....irrespective of blades.....; I am a bit baffled by this results as I had high hopes for the newly acquired Gillette razors....., they may be 2 day growth razors.....and the G37 will mow down anything...... Gillette Blade was very good today 2nd use w G37.......it choked the first time around w the Gillette razors....God knows why.....because I don't.

2 head/face shaves to report, both had 5 days dense growth.
First: planned head shave w new to me Gillette Milady Decollette OC with a new Gillette Plat.
I guessed I needed an open comb at least for the first pass..... this razor was new to me.....and it was a total failure....did not cut smoothly.....so I had at hand a new to me Merkur 37G w a 3rd use Feather.....this one saved the shave.
I then tried the Gillette Plat blade using a new to me New Short comb in the face and also was rough......the Merkur Slant w feather saved the shaves. This two failures I will directly attribute to the razor and NOT the blade. Interestingly when I rinsed the Milady Decollette OC USA, there was a LOT of stubble on both sided of the blade.....I had twisted it tight...I thought, using a plastic washer.

Second Head face shave today:
I put the feather 4th use in a Black Flair Tip 1969 and tried hard a head.....was NOT smooth (mind you this blade was top notch last time). I finished the shave this time using again the Merkur G37 with the Gillette Platinum (from last time, use
#2). The head shave was smooth w the G37. Now to the face , I tried the Flair Tip.....awful, put the Feather in a SuperSpeed no date.....and it was also rough (surprised.....these are usually good, it was the 1st time I used this one razor, that looks new(ish).
So I finished the shave w the G37 w Gillette Plat.

Take home message here: The Merkur G37 beat 4 Gillette razors.....irrespective of blades.....; I am a bit baffled by this results as I had high hopes for the newly acquired Gillette razors....., they may be 2 day growth razors.....and the G37 will mow down anything...... Gillette Blade was very good today 2nd use w G37.......it choked the first time around w the Gillette razors....God knows why.....because I don't.
WOW!! These are interesting results!! I'm glad the Slant and G37 were there to save your shaves!! I think the only vintage razor I tried these blades in was my Gillette Slim (on 4), but it behaves more like a modern razor and likes most blades that I try in it.

Having several razors to try (both modern and vintage) is part of the fun of these Blade Challenges!!

⚫️ shaves up to 12:
Ti 1.65 WR2
Melange Soap
Blade is starting to lose its umph. Slowing down some redness and few spots. I’m going to run it through Friday for a 13th shave and see how that gamble pays off for me 🤣. A good long run with this blade and would be very happy to have more like this. This thread is getting super quiet but a last thank you to: @Tathlum @Space_Cadet and @Grundi gor this and every other ones you guys have done. These are awesome and enjoy each I am a part of.

I can still feel the difference.....this is really not the original motive BUT:
found half a Gillette Plat/Plat blade (I usually will use them in DE razors....+- 5 times and then split them and use in some sort of Leaf or shavette)

Razor: Thorn
Soap and AS Tabac
Brush: Polo 12

I start shaving my face w a Henson +++ and a Bic 2or 3rd use.....and it did not feel right (efficient enough) and last 2 failures w this razor were a new Gillette Plat and a Feather..... message: Henson is NOT good enough for me with 3+ days of stubble.

So I grabbed the Thorn w the Gillette and did the other half of the face (smooth, no drama) , and then decided to shave the head.... All good w the Gillette Platinum.....; good blades.

So I kinda fell off the internet for a few months, with life getting intense for a bit. But I did continue with the comparison shaves between the Platinum Light Blue and Dark Blue blades. I used my RazoRock Lupo 95 OC, Semogue 620, and Tabac to compare them. The TL;DR of that comparison is that I find the Light Blue blades a little better in the Lupo 95, but not enough better to go to the effort of sourcing out bulk quantities of them.

I still have the Supermax blades to try out in the near future.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So I kinda fell off the internet for a few months, with life getting intense for a bit. But I did continue with the comparison shaves between the Platinum Light Blue and Dark Blue blades. I used my RazoRock Lupo 95 OC, Semogue 620, and Tabac to compare them. The TL;DR of that comparison is that I find the Light Blue blades a little better in the Lupo 95, but not enough better to go to the effort of sourcing out bulk quantities of them.

I still have the Supermax blades to try out in the near future.
I too have had my life be a bit intense. You chose a great descriptor!

I have only used one of the blades, probably close to 20 times, but it's still going strong. I've used it nearly exclusively for shaving in the shower. The one with the silver dot on it, whichever blade that is. Phenomenal blade! Each time I think it is time to toss it, it just gives me another great shave!

I had two left-over Plat-Plat blades , not sure how many uses.
Intended to use one in a Muhle R41, as dared by my bro.
Grooming Dept soap
sagrada fam brush
Tuff AS
This was an unpleasant start.....tuggy, rough and wasn't very close, I remember getting almost good one pass shaves w this razor years ago.
So for the other half I used a RR .95 razor.....was smoother and more efficient.

Had no blood/cuts on either side; BUT the R41 still burning....not sure if it was the blade or r41 or both....
Anyway, I picked all the leftover blades and tossed them.

Razorock Lupo 95 OC, Supermax Blue Diamond, Semogue 620, La Toja shave stick

This blade felt scratchy the whole way through this shave, but didn't actually leave any irritation behind. Definitely an odd one. I'll try it one more time to see if it normalizes on the second use. but if it's more of the same, it'll be the last use.

Razorock Lupo 95 OC, Supermax Blue Diamond, Omega 10086, Stirling Varen

Second attempt with this blade, still very rough. Swapped it out for the fresh one after 1 stroke, and it was more of the same. I binned them both and treated myself to a Polsilver Super Iridium instead.

Top Bottom