What's new

GIVEAWAY! Participation PIF - A Tale Of Two Bridges

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Red Tip Super Speed
Light Brigade (4)

Today was as much a test of the Red Tip Super Speed, as it was for the Light Brigade. I have a 1985 Super Speed with the rectangular bottom plate inbound. And these are said to be as aggressive and efficient as any Super Speed, or even more so. Many compare it to the Red Tip. Well, despite my supreme love for the Super Speed in general, I dont really have any special love for the Red Tip. But since i have this '85 on the way, and it is heavily compared to the Red Tip, that was the required choice for today's shave.

As expected, the shave was super mild and smooth. The overall results were barely DFS. Same as any other Super Speed for me. So minor scratchy bits left in my trouble spots. If you want to read more, and especially why I love Super Speeds, feel free to read my journal for today.

But this blade is still working flawlessly. The Light Brigade is incredibly smooth and sharp. As indicated in my last shave, which was with an OG Charcoal Goods razor, it has the capability to provide amazingly close and smooth shaves. Even in an aggressive razor. But when paired with a Super Speed, the blade can not surpass the limitations of the razor in which it is installed. And that is case here, unfortunately.

So this blade will live on to fight another day. But it will be after my next travel adventure to San Diego, for which I leave in the morning. Stay tuned for some travel shaves in my journal though. I am bringing a couple of cool vintages that I dug out from deep in my stash. These have not seen the light of day for years. So its time to give them some lovin. Catch you guys when I get back! This blade challenge is featuring some blades with a very long lifespan, so i have a feeling it will go on for quite some time!

2024-04-24 12.28.12.jpg

English London Bridge edge 5 shaves 1-3

R89; Cella red; various synthetic brushes.

Having got into trouble chopping & changing kit, this time I kept the soap constant for the life of the edge. I also turned back to the R89, which seems to suit this blade just fine.

The story arc developed pretty much as I'd have expected from earlier rounds: a good if unremarkable first shave, a marginally improved second, and just the hint of a feeling of rawness on the third.

These vintage blades are a solid performer, but not something I'm going to hunt down to replenish my stash. Despite the fact the modern Bridges give me some irritation, I think I prefer them over the vintage blades. I've been concentrating so much on the vintage blades, though, I need to revisit the Chinese blades to be certain.

Blade: London Bridge (UK)
Razor: Ikon X3 Slant
Mug: Green Rubber Marvy
Soap: Vintage Williams (AKA "Old Willie")
Brush: Mixed badger/boar
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

One tiny weeper today, on the fleshy part of the cheek, just at the edge of the eyesocket.
Other than that, today's shave was very smooth in process. I've gotten a lot of good shaves so far from this blade, so I'm not complaining.

The end result was a smooth, mostly drama free shave; DFS with little effort.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
One of the main reasons I was excited for this Blade Challenge was the highly-discussed notion that the British London Bridge Blades are the same blade as the Light Brigade in a different wrapper. I have been a fan of the British London Bridge for a while. But I have never had the opportunity to compare it to a real Light Brigade. After a few shaves with each during this blade challenge, i am 90% certain that they are NOT the same blade. I will keep testing until both Light Brigades are expired. Which may take a while. But I will keep at it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1322.jpeg

Participation PIF: A Tale Of Two Bridges.​

Week seven and shave number four of my third dig with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. This mornings shave was not to bad. No blood, no real redness and just a small amount of sting when I applied my Alum Block. I hope that this continues on for this blade as I would like to finish this blade on a high note.

Blade: Light Brigade (UK)
Razor: Blackbird
Mug: Green Rubber Marvy
Soap: Vintage Williams (AKA "Old Willie")
Brush: LJS Badger
Post-shave: Thayers Toner WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PSB

Lot of appointments today and tomorrow so a short comment. The Blackbird/Brigade combo had much more blade feel than usual. Still, today's result was a smooth, drama free shave; BBS- with little effort.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1339.jpeg

Week seven and shave number five on my third dig with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. This morning’s shave was much like yesterdays shave. No blood, no real redness and minimal sting when I applied my Alum Block. I am really hoping that this continues until Sunday morning.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

IMG_1359.jpeg

Week seven, shave number six on my third dig with the Chinese London Bridge Super Stainless blade. My wishes continue so far, no blood or redness today and maybe a little more sting when I applied my Alum Block. So far I am reasonably happy with this blade. Like most they better with use for me. I could honestly never be a one and done club member. The best shave on the blade are to come IMHO.

Top Bottom