What's new

HELP - Great Blade of China Research Project

In March I want to begin my research project on Chinese blades. For each brand, I will test sharpness on a BESS-certified edge-on-up PT50A, take microscopic photos after each shave of the blade edges, and test each blade in a mild, medium, aggressive, and slant razor (except no slant for the AC blades).

I need the following help:

Take a look at the picture and the list below and let me know if there are other Chinese-manufactured blades that I need to add to the research.

My own experience and the public AIs (Bard/Gemini, You, CoPilot) have suggested the following razor options to test which were most likely to be familiar with the wet shaving community. I want the results to be useful, so someone may not have the specific test razor but should be generally aware of its shaving characteristics:

Mild: EJ DE89. Merkur 34C, Rockwell 6S plate 1, Karve CB AA or A or B plates. Henson AL13

Medium: Karve CB B or C plates, Merkur 23C, Parker 26C, Muhle R89, Rockwell 6S plates 3 or 4

Aggressive: Karve CB D or E or F plates, Muhle R41, Rockwell 6S plate 6

Slant: Merkur 37C, iKon X3, ATT S1

Are there any other DEs that should fit into the category of commonly understood mild, medium, aggressive, slant razors such that if you found an evaluation of a blade in that razor you could map the results to your razors?

For the AC blades, I am looking for input. I have at my disposal:

• Alpha Claymore
  • Asylum Rx-V2
  • Blackland Vector
  • Mongoose
  • RR Hawk V2
  • Shield Avenger
  • Shield AC SE
  • Stando Jaga
  • Stando Rod
  • Yaqi Remus
  • Yaqi Romulus
  • Yaqi Excaliber
  • DSCosmetic Legend
How would you rate these, are there any others I should consider?

Once I have gotten your feedback on what razors should be used in the evaluation, I will put out a poll to help select which razors I will use.

Finally, I am looking for volunteers to help as the project is too big for just one person, plus I cannot replicate all the beard, razor, and skin conditions out there. I will send each selected volunteer 5 blades or one brand. I am asking the volunteers to use four of their razors and shave four times with a blade in that razor. You can volunteer for more than one brand evaluation. Selection will be optimized around the broadest selection of razors, the least number of volunteers to track, and my supply of blades (I generally have 30 to 50 of each brand).

You can use your regimen. I will be doing two 3-pass full monty shaves (shower, hot water, oil, full lather, etc.) and two 2-pass quick shaves (cold water, pre-shave gel, non-lather cream like Lucky Tiger, Grooming Lounge, Razor MD) with each of the 4 razors.

I will provide an evaluation template so you can report consistently and I can load my database.

If you are interested, please comment here and list the 4 razors you would be using (DEs only, I just have the two packs of the AC blades in the picture).

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Current Test Blades:

Manufacturer
Name
New Gain Industrial LTD
WMARK Stainless Steel
Jiangxi Huyidao Industrial Co., Ltd
PearlMax Platinum Stainless Steel
Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
FlyDear Super Platinum
Yi Wu Baolai Razor Co., Ltd
Jifuli Platinum Edge
Ming Shi
Ming Shi
RZR Iguetta Blue/Jifliio
Ningbo Haward Razor Co., Ltd.
Haward Stainless
RZR Iguetta Platinum Edge
Unknown
RhinoSwiss Stainless
Xirui Manufacturing, Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Matgicol Super Stainless
Xirui Manufacturing, Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Matgicol Swedish Quality
Zhangjiagang Zhongbao Blade Manufacture Co., Ltd
Suneko / Suneco “My Way” Double Edge Razor Blade
Bailli Shaving Products Co., Ltd.
Baili Super Blue
Weishi
Yintal Stock Blades
Weishi
Weishi Extra Stainless
Vikings Blade (brand, mfg unknown)
Viking Hot
Gillette (brand, mfg unknown)
King C. Gillette
Shanghai Cloud Blade Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Cloud Stainless Steel Red
Guangdong Jinda Hardware Products CO., LTD.
Rimei Super Stainless
Unknown
Colorlamb
Foshan Yingjili Electrical Equipment Co., Ltd.
YingJili Stainless Blue
Foshan Yingjili Electrical Equipment Co., Ltd.
YingJili Stainless Red
Shanghai Cloud Blade Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Cloud Stainless Steel Blue
Baili Super Stainless Gree
Baili Blue Platinum
Baili Green Platinum
Baili Super Blue Platinum
Baili Super Orange
Carlife-Razor (both USA & China)
Apache Double Edge Safety Razor Blade

Attachments

• 20240209_093920 (1).jpg
    20240209_093920 (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
I volunteer as tribute. I have the following razors.

• Fatip Grande
  • Gillette Tech Prewar
  • King C. Gillette
  • Gillette Super Speed (unsure about year or model - it's old)
  • Van Der Hagen
I am interested in testing the Baili blades. I currently have Rhinoceros XR, FlyDear, Jifuli, Pearlmax, and Suneko and could test those without needing any blades from you.

Chinese AC blades?! Makes perfect sense but I had no idea.
This is a remarkable project, especially with your access to microscopic pics.
I'm interested. I use mostly big gap razors, like the Karve CB G OC, but I also have a B SB plate.
I have big gap Wolfmans, Carbon, ATT and Blackland.

Interesting project, I look forward to following it!

A bit off topic, but are any of the listed blades in the AC style/format?

I volunteer as tribute. I have the following razors.

• Fatip Grande
  • Gillette Tech Prewar
  • King C. Gillette
  • Gillette Super Speed (unsure about year or model - it's old)
  • Van Der Hagen
I am interested in testing the Baili blades. I currently have Rhinoceros XR, FlyDear, Jifuli, Pearlmax, and Suneko and could test those without needing any blades from you.

The initial DE razor list is conspicuously lacking in vintage Gillettes, which are generally important references. A Tech seems like an especially good idea, as does a Superspeed, maybe one or more adjustables. Does it matter? Not sure if you have that many razors already.

The initial DE razor list is conspicuously lacking in vintage Gillettes, which are generally important references. A Tech seems like an especially good idea, as does a Superspeed, maybe one or more adjustables. Does it matter? Not sure if you have that many razors already.
Agreed. I think the AIs were just looking at recent and I only have a Fatboy and a Slim. I'm looking for what others come up with and then the poll results. Thank you. I've collected a lot and have access to more. I am also hoping volunteers fill in what might be important but that I don't have.

Interesting project, I look forward to following it!

A bit off topic, but are any of the listed blades in the AC style/format?
The two bottom ones in the picture are AC. They have no name on them and were $8 on AliExpress. The blue box looks like a Feather Pro, the Green a Feather Pro Guard. I haven't put them in the database yet which is why they don't appear in the list.

The two bottom ones in the picture are AC. They have no name on them and were $8 on AliExpress. The blue box looks like a Feather Pro, the Green a Feather Pro Guard. I haven't put them in the database yet which is why they don't appear in the list.

Interesting!

I have found two Chinese made AC blades that you might be interested in including. I have not checked if they are available from Aliexpress or other "Western faced" sites.

The first blade is called 猪佐 (Zhuzuo). Seems to be a pretty recent trademark (2022), owned by "Guangzhou Jimi Technology Co., Ltd" (广州集米科技有限公司). Some basic info here.

USD 3.6 for 24 blades.

Screenshot_20240210_103342.jpg

The other one is from the 鱼雷 (Yulei) brand. Which also sells other blades under the same name ("Torpedo" in English).

USD 2 for 15 blades.

Screenshot_20240210_123848.jpg

For what it's worth I asked they guy selling these how they compare to other AC blades. He pretty bluntly said that they can't hold a candle to the Japanese blades when it comes to sharpness, and recommend I rather get any of the Japanese options (which he also sells) instead if I was buying blades for myself... So I wouldn't expect much from these.

In March I want to begin my research project on Chinese blades. For each brand, I will test sharpness on a BESS-certified edge-on-up PT50A, take microscopic photos after each shave of the blade edges, and test each blade in a mild, medium, aggressive, and slant razor (except no slant for the AC blades).

I need the following help:

Take a look at the picture and the list below and let me know if there are other Chinese-manufactured blades that I need to add to the research.

My own experience and the public AIs (Bard/Gemini, You, CoPilot) have suggested the following razor options to test which were most likely to be familiar with the wet shaving community. I want the results to be useful, so someone may not have the specific test razor but should be generally aware of its shaving characteristics:

Mild: EJ DE89. Merkur 34C, Rockwell 6S plate 1, Karve CB AA or A or B plates. Henson AL13

Medium: Karve CB B or C plates, Merkur 23C, Parker 26C, Muhle R89, Rockwell 6S plates 3 or 4

Aggressive: Karve CB D or E or F plates, Muhle R41, Rockwell 6S plate 6

Slant: Merkur 37C, iKon X3, ATT S1

Are there any other DEs that should fit into the category of commonly understood mild, medium, aggressive, slant razors such that if you found an evaluation of a blade in that razor you could map the results to your razors?

For the AC blades, I am looking for input. I have at my disposal:

• Alpha Claymore
  • Asylum Rx-V2
  • Blackland Vector
  • Mongoose
  • RR Hawk V2
  • Shield Avenger
  • Shield AC SE
  • Stando Jaga
  • Stando Rod
  • Yaqi Remus
  • Yaqi Romulus
  • Yaqi Excaliber
  • DSCosmetic Legend
How would you rate these, are there any others I should consider?

Once I have gotten your feedback on what razors should be used in the evaluation, I will put out a poll to help select which razors I will use.

Finally, I am looking for volunteers to help as the project is too big for just one person, plus I cannot replicate all the beard, razor, and skin conditions out there. I will send each selected volunteer 5 blades or one brand. I am asking the volunteers to use four of their razors and shave four times with a blade in that razor. You can volunteer for more than one brand evaluation. Selection will be optimized around the broadest selection of razors, the least number of volunteers to track, and my supply of blades (I generally have 30 to 50 of each brand).

You can use your regimen. I will be doing two 3-pass full monty shaves (shower, hot water, oil, full lather, etc.) and two 2-pass quick shaves (cold water, pre-shave gel, non-lather cream like Lucky Tiger, Grooming Lounge, Razor MD) with each of the 4 razors.

I will provide an evaluation template so you can report consistently and I can load my database.

If you are interested, please comment here and list the 4 razors you would be using (DEs only, I just have the two packs of the AC blades in the picture).

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Current Test Blades:

ManufacturerName
New Gain Industrial LTDWMARK Stainless Steel
Jiangxi Huyidao Industrial Co., LtdPearlMax Platinum Stainless Steel
Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.FlyDear Super Platinum
Yi Wu Baolai Razor Co., LtdJifuli Platinum Edge
Ming ShiMing Shi
Yi Wu Baolai Razor Co., LtdRZR Iguetta Blue/Jifliio
Ningbo Haward Razor Co., Ltd.Haward Stainless
Yi Wu Baolai Razor Co., LtdRZR Iguetta Platinum Edge
UnknownRhinoSwiss Stainless
Xirui Manufacturing, Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.Matgicol Super Stainless
Xirui Manufacturing, Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.Matgicol Swedish Quality
Zhangjiagang Zhongbao Blade Manufacture Co., LtdSuneko / Suneco “My Way” Double Edge Razor Blade
Bailli Shaving Products Co., Ltd.Baili Super Blue
WeishiYintal Stock Blades
WeishiWeishi Extra Stainless
Vikings Blade (brand, mfg unknown)Viking Hot
Gillette (brand, mfg unknown)King C. Gillette
Shanghai Cloud Blade Manufacturing Co., Ltd.Cloud Stainless Steel Red
Guangdong Jinda Hardware Products CO., LTD.Rimei Super Stainless
UnknownColorlamb
Foshan Yingjili Electrical Equipment Co., Ltd.YingJili Stainless Blue
Foshan Yingjili Electrical Equipment Co., Ltd.YingJili Stainless Red
Shanghai Cloud Blade Manufacturing Co., Ltd.Cloud Stainless Steel Blue
Bailli Shaving Products Co., Ltd.Baili Super Stainless Gree
Bailli Shaving Products Co., Ltd.Baili Blue Platinum
Bailli Shaving Products Co., Ltd.Baili Green Platinum
Bailli Shaving Products Co., Ltd.Baili Super Blue Platinum
Bailli Shaving Products Co., Ltd.Baili Super Orange
Carlife-Razor (both USA & China)Apache Double Edge Safety Razor Blade
Hi Stikeyoda, I look forward to seeing the results of this and would be happy to participate. I already have a few Weishi and Ming Shi blades on hand that came with my razors so would be happy to evaluate those or another brand from your list against your criteria. I've three razors to use including:
  • King C. Gillette - Mild
  • Razorock Adjust (Baili) Adjustable - Mild to Moderate range
  • Weishi Long Handle - Moderate
A few of thoughts on your test structure:

• One of the key criteria we look at for DE blades is longevity (# of shaves). If limit ourselves to 4 shaves per blade we will not be able to evaluate longevity as the typical shaver averages 5-7 shaves per blade. Some of my blades go a lot longer than that. I just had my 15th shave with a Dorco ST300 in my King C. Gillette razor yesterday. Some of us, including myself, realize similar quality shaves from all of our blades (Derby Extra, Astra SP, Dorco Stainless and Dorco Prime in my case) with the only performance difference being in the area of blade longevity.

• Recommend you consider having 3-4 well regarded non-Chinese blades included as controls to be evaluated against your criteria. This will give us a better basis against which to evaluate the Chinese blades. Possible controls could be Feather, Nacet, Dorco Prime and Astra SP.

• Note that @Kent Kimmons evaluated a large number of well known blades over the past year or so. You may be able to leverage some of his research and methodology. He spent much of his career as an engineer for NASA providing great expertise for his well crafted methodology. A link to his recent research summary is below. Note that he tested just one blade per brand so while his overall findings make general sense there was the risk of impacts from individual blade manufacturing variations. For example in his testing Derby Extra Blue (6.14 score) were rated fare lower than regular Derby Extra Green (8.27) even though these are the exact same blade with the Blue sold in tucks of 10 and Green in tucks of 5. Kent would test a blade for up to 7 shaves to better get at longevity.

Link to Kent Kimmons 132 Blades Research Summary Post:

Hi Stikeyoda, I look forward to seeing the results of this and would be happy to participate. I already have a few Weishi and Ming Shi blades on hand that came with my razors so would be happy to evaluate those or another brand from your list against your criteria. I've three razors to use including:
  • King C. Gillette - Mild
  • Razorock Adjust (Baili) Adjustable - Mild to Moderate range
  • Weishi Long Handle - Moderate
A few of thoughts on your test structure:

• One of the key criteria we look at for DE blades is longevity (# of shaves). If limit ourselves to 4 shaves per blade we will not be able to evaluate longevity as the typical shaver averages 5-7 shaves per blade. Some of my blades go a lot longer than that. I just had my 15th shave with a Dorco ST300 in my King C. Gillette razor yesterday. Some of us, including myself, realize similar quality shaves from all of our blades (Derby Extra, Astra SP, Dorco Stainless and Dorco Prime in my case) with the only performance difference being in the area of blade longevity.

• Recommend you consider having 3-4 well regarded non-Chinese blades included as controls to be evaluated against your criteria. This will give us a better basis against which to evaluate the Chinese blades. Possible controls could be Feather, Nacet, Dorco Prime and Astra SP.

• Note that @Kent Kimmons evaluated a large number of well known blades over the past year or so. You may be able to leverage some of his research and methodology. He spent much of his career as an engineer for NASA providing great expertise for his well crafted methodology. A link to his recent research summary is below. Note that he tested just one blade per brand so while his overall findings make general sense there was the risk of impacts from individual blade manufacturing variations. For example in his testing Derby Extra Blue (6.14 score) were rated fare lower than regular Derby Extra Green (8.27) even though these are the exact same blade with the Blue sold in tucks of 10 and Green in tucks of 5. Kent would test a blade for up to 7 shaves to better get at longevity.

Link to Kent Kimmons 132 Blades Research Summary Post:
Thanks for the suggestions and link!!!! I was worrying about how to set up a control (thought about rewrapping the blades in blank paper and not letting anyone know what they were getting and including some feather, dorco, astra, etc... then realized the blades themselves are printed :-(

If someone has already done a review of existing blades, then I can use it for a baseline. Might also ask participants to do a round with their favorite blade and report on it in the standard form.... liking that idea. Thanks again

I'll reach out to @Kent Kimmons to see if he might want to collaborate. I can take what he has done and add the microscopig and BESS testing.

I've wrestled with the durability issue as I started thinking this through. It has so many more variables - how the user rinses, stores the blade, hardness of water, ph of water, humidity of the environment, etc. That's how I settled in on 4 shaves - even expensive blades are generally cost-effective at 4 shaves and it is such a small amount of time that these other variables are probably not significant and I keep the data more or less standardized. Maybe I'll ask it as an optional part of the participants report.

Interesting!

I have found two Chinese made AC blades that you might be interested in including. I have not checked if they are available from Aliexpress or other "Western faced" sites.

The first blade is called 猪佐 (Zhuzuo). Seems to be a pretty recent trademark (2022), owned by "Guangzhou Jimi Technology Co., Ltd" (广州集米科技有限公司). Some basic info here.

USD 3.6 for 24 blades.

View attachment 1793985

The other one is from the 鱼雷 (Yulei) brand. Which also sells other blades under the same name ("Torpedo" in English).

USD 2 for 15 blades.

View attachment 1793986

For what it's worth I asked they guy selling these how they compare to other AC blades. He pretty bluntly said that they can't hold a candle to the Japanese blades when it comes to sharpness, and recommend I rather get any of the Japanese options (which he also sells) instead if I was buying blades for myself... So I wouldn't expect much from these.
Thanks! I haven't encountered them before. I will try and find them.

Interesting!

USD 3.6 for 24 blades.

View attachment 1793985

USD 2 for 15 blades.

View attachment 1793986

I can't find these anywhere. Would you be willing to get them for me and I could PayPal FF back to you.

I'm a little surprised not to see the Gillette Super Blue mentioned anywhere, that's the only blade I ever found 'in the wild' (in a properous area of Chengdu). Good blades, too.

I can't find these anywhere. Would you be willing to get them for me and I could PayPal FF back to you.

Yep, definitely. I will PM you once they reach my "ship forwarder" (Taobao and other platforms for the domestic market typically doesn't ship abroad). Could take a good week now with Chinese News Year holidays and shipping delays.

PS: The 鱼雷/Torpedo blades are the same as the Riren ones mentioned by another member (blue and red box varieties) according to my source, so I assume you're not interested in those if you already secured them through Aliexpress. I assume Riren is just one of many vendors selling those blades.

Top Bottom