What's new

BOTD: Black Of The Day

Tea Habitat house yunnan buds.

Imen Shan is very much a five flavor, every tea must be thick sort of woman. Much less fruity/winey/desert spicey than other yunnans. More earth, mushrooms, caramelized onions, and butter. Very sensual and adult tea. Her teas are not really to my tastes, but they really challenge my taste-intellect!

proxy.php

Taking pictures for Simply Tea in Aarhus today

2010 Anhui Organic Spring Dawn Keemun, teamaster; Hu Xi Yun

If just all black/red teas could be this good

Regards.

Jakob

Last edited:
2010 Spring Harvest Hong Mei Mao Feng
Dark and syrupy, like molasses but without the sweetness
proxy.php

Last edited:
Single estate Nilgiri, from Special Teas, Tiger Hill FOP (CL) #331, with milk & sugar, tasty with some Little School Boys
proxy.php

Assam Gold Tips TGFOP with milk and honey. I don't often drink any other black tea. I just got a new 1kg bag of this tea from my tea merchant here in Calgary.

2006 Jing's Keemun.

This is great stuff. Unbelievable value at $6.99 per 100g. The few years of age have really taken the edge off this tea, and in the past two years I've noticed a decrease in astringency. Still has a potent caffeine kick as well!

I'm new to B&B thought not to wet shaving...kinda new to that.

But I love black teas. Today my tea of choice is Kenyan Kapchorua Estate.

Though it's a pretty inexpensive CTC tea, it makes a nice, dark tea that has a mysterious mix of tastes. Some claim to detect a bit of roses or fruitiness, though I find it a very "masculine" tea. I find it forgiving of over-steeping, not very tannic at all. It takes milk wonderfully.

I make it about 5g of tea to 10 oz of water, a 3 minute steep right off a rolling boil.

Kapchorua Estate is located W of the Rift Valley in the high country of Kenya, in the heart of the Kalenjin area populated by Kipsigis, Nandi, and other tribal groups related by language. This estate is noted for a generous profit-sharing plan, exemplary labor policies, and making a strong contribution to the local economy as well. They are recognized as a more "organic" tea grower thought they do not tout this widely.

Overall, I like this tea for any time of day.

I love this particular black tea, and always ordered from Upton Teas. They no longer carry it, so I've ordered from Virtuous Teas recently. For some reason, the VT Chisunga Estate does not taste like the CE I got from Uptons, and others have noticed this too.

I'm not complaining about either vendor, they are great!

But I cannot seem to find any other company importing this particular tea. If anyone should know of a source for this tea, I'd be grateful for a PM.

Yunnan Gold Tips from Imen Shan, same as always, very buttery, not fruity or winey, but has plenty of depth and mushrooms. Bai Lin Gongfu from Camillia Sinesis, finished off the bag--dissappointed me again. The dry leaf is so nice tasting, while the soup is merely interesting, has sharp apple taste and soft chocolate notes. Those were yesterday.

Today, I had Teaspring Yin Jun Mei. It was good, very deep in that chocolaty sense, decent texture, has a bit of flavor fun in a couple of cups. It's just not worth how much it costs though. After that I did a gongfu of Jutlibari Assam. Completly awesome black tea for the puerh lover. Requires skill for minimizing tannins and maximising smooth, but herby fruits broad flavor, dynamic tastes, and even a huigan present makes this tea so worth the roughness. Well worth the $24 Uptons asks for 100gms.

Top Bottom