What's new

BOTD: Black Of The Day

That being said, I just completed a course of Lochan Tea's Jungpana muscatel from last year. Vastly more elevating tea experience, if a bit fewer brews. More flavors, more interesting, if weaker aftertastes (including a small camphor huigan), and it's almost as smooth. Lochan Teas is like the Menghai (at least to westerners) of North Indian teas. The higher end material don't strike me as very good, but their cheap stuff is second to none for daily drinking. This Jungpana was $4.50/100gm. Completely unbeatable.

Even Proinsas?

Heck, I don't even mind splitting the narrative, but my philosophy is simply that my tea day is my tea day, and everything flows from setup to cleanup for the night. It doesn't feel right to talk about one tea without mentioning you've had something else before because many times, how you feel about the tea is influenced by what you've had before. I had less than little to say about my shu, and very little to say about my oolong, so why not?

Adagio had a holiday sampler that was mainly black teas; it included flavors like candy cane, gingerbread, pumpkin spice, and chestnut. I tried those out tonight and they were just awful. I don't know any company that can get flavored teas down. They all taste like acetone. The chestnut had a nutty aftertaste so it was tolerable, but everything else was bad.

S

sam_213

Just tried the teas of DarjeelingTeaXpress Goomtee Teas. DarjeelingTeaXpress seems to be only dealing in Darjeeling teas and the teas I received were very fresh as they had packed in their aroma seal packs (vacuum pack). Inexpensive and great service.

Better believe I'm getting some of Nada's black tea next time I order from there. I almost got the souchong, and probably should have...

I sucessfully used Yin Jun Mei for a holidayish gathering with some neighbors I've known a long time. Sheer quality inoffensiveness makes this tea worth having...

Greenfield Ceylon from Uptons. One of the best Ceylons for people who don't like non-ratnapura/otherwise elite Ceylons. Makes a great Western brew. This time, I did gongfu, and it turned out much like the Hattialli assam gongfu. Just didn't have much when the flavors were seperated.

Later on, I did Phuguri again. Really enjoyed it. I guess I should start experimenting with purchasing Darjeelings again, now that I know how to brew it...much, much, MUCH easier to get right gongfu than Western brewing. Not likely when my wishlist for Houde pu is hundreds of dollars long and little chance of satisfying any of it...

I should also try Bai Haos again...those are much like Darjeelings, and I've had much the same issues.

Tong Mu Wuyi red tea from Postcard Teas
proxy.php

So far so good, a waft of qimen and some nice chocolate notes. The past six months or so have opened my eyes once again to the wonders of Chinese red teas.

I'm not the hugest fan of chinese red teas. Far, far, far too smooth for far too much money. Megabucks for Darjeelings and Assams will always be preferable. I have decided that these oversmooth, overchocolaty teas are great to have around for company who don't really drink tea, though.

Keeping an eye on African reds, though. Sooner or later, something really interesting will come out of there.

I'm still new to teas and blacks are just my least sampled, but today I had Tazo's Earl Grey (which actually adds a hint of Lavender) and it was definitely enjoyable.

2010 Spring Organic Lapsang Souchong from JAS-eTea

Made a couple big mugs for the morning again today. I may have understated in my review on Steve's site how unique this tea is - it's just that, aside from being smokey, it's just a good standard black tea. Leaf quality is excellent, and not just "for a black tea" (which tends to exhibit less gentle processing).

I've found that 2.5 minutes for the first brew, western style, makes a great cup but leaves plenty of life left in the leaves for a longer infusion to keep some for iced tea to drink with dinner (unsweetened).

A couple of days ago, from YS, I had 2010 Imperial Feng Qing Dian Hong and 2010 Autumn "Feng Qing Gold Needle" Yunnan Dian Hong Black tea. I found them ok but rather sweet and simple. Maybe that is what these teas are supposed to be but I found them lacking in complexity.

Top Bottom