What's new

Any guitar players out there?

Same
my start is black with white pickguard, but I've been thinking about having her redone to a natural finish, or a two-tone natural-to-black fade. But this is pretty :thumbup1:

Thanks so much. I always seemed to get compliments on this Strat when I played out and that could be because a person doesn't see Naturally finished Strats very often (or I don't at least). As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it.

Thanks so much. I always seemed to get compliments on this Strat when I played out and that could be because a person doesn't see Naturally finished Strats very often (or I don't at least). As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it.
I've seen a couple vintage ones with the natural finish, but nowhere near a price I could even begin thinking about, hence my wanting to turn mine into one. Got it second hand so it was half price, put the difference into new parts. What's a little more for some new lacquer and paint:lol:

Last edited:
I've seen a couple vintage ones with the natural finish, but nowhere near a price I could even begin thinking about, hence my wanting to turn mine into one. Got it second hand so it was half price, put the difference into new parts. What's a little more for some new lacquer and paint:lol:

I hear ya. When you get it finished post a pic. I'd love to see it. I could talk guitars all day long.

Same
my start is black with white pickguard, but I've been thinking about having her redone to a natural finish, or a two-tone natural-to-black fade. But this is pretty :thumbup1:

Let me urge a little unsolicited caution on this... If it's a poly finish, that's going to be really a lot of work to strip to bare wood. You can use heat gun and chemical stripper to make it easier, but you have to be very careful not to scorch the wood.
Also, something to consider, being a solid color, (and depending on the product line your Strat is) you may very well have a 2 or even 3 piece body that may not look to your liking naturally finished. Don't mean to upset your plans (I love a natural finish myself!) but something to consider nonetheless.

This Natural Strat is the one I play the most. Always have and probably always will. I bought it brand new in the Summer of '98 and have played it nearly every day since. Sure, I'll grab other guitars and play em for a while, but I always revert back to this one eventually. This particular run of American Standard was not one of the most desirable. The heavy lacquer, swimming pool route and Delta Tone pickups were kind of looked down upon by a lot of players. However, this is the heaviest and darkest sounding Strat that I've ever played. The neck is extremely shallow too for a "C" shape. It is so quick and smooth. It has broken in very nicely and I just love it.

Some nice maple figuring on that neck as well. You don't see a lot of that on production Strats.

Let me urge a little unsolicited caution on this... If it's a poly finish, that's going to be really a lot of work to strip to bare wood. You can use heat gun and chemical stripper to make it easier, but you have to be very careful not to scorch the wood.
Also, something to consider, being a solid color, (and depending on the product line your Strat is) you may very well have a 2 or even 3 piece body that may not look to your liking naturally finished. Don't mean to upset your plans (I love a natural finish myself!) but something to consider nonetheless.

Some nice maple figuring on that neck as well. You don't see a lot of that on production Strats.

I'm nowhere near skilled enough to do it myself lol
Gonna bring it to a professional so it's done right. And probably not anytime soon. Couple of other items on the "want" list that take precedence

I've got a few guitars. I used to teach but not for years now:

'51 nocaster custom shop:
proxy.php

'88 Clapton strat, one of the first batch with the wrong "deep C" neck that Clapton didn't like. They changed it after about 100 guitars were already shipped to a "V" neck to match the feel of his Martin.
proxy.php

have some others too, a Gibson ES335 that i'm not a big fan of, and a strat i built to my own specs that is my #1. Also have a Warwick 5 string Thumb bass that i never play.

I've got a few guitars. I used to teach but not for years now:

'51 nocaster custom shop:
proxy.php

'88 Clapton strat, one of the first batch with the wrong "deep C" neck that Clapton didn't like. They changed it after about 100 guitars were already shipped to a "V" neck to match the feel of his Martin.
proxy.php

have some others too, a Gibson ES335 that i'm not a big fan of, and a strat i built to my own specs that is my #1. Also have a Warwick 5 string Thumb bass that i never play.

I'm really diggin' that Nocaster!!! I can't say that I've ever seen a black Nocaster before.

Yeah, it does have some decent figuring. I like the fact that it's a darker maple in color too. Years of playing in smokey bars and practice rooms may have contributed to some of that though.

thanks. Its really a very impressive guitar. One of the nicest sounding and playing ones i've owned over the years. Sorry i dont have any decent photos of it, but heres a small gallery http://saliv8.com/gallery3/index.php/Guitar/51-Nocaster-Relic

Very nice. I've been fortunate enough to play 2 original '51 Nocasters at a guitar show and they both played very well. I have yet to play a relic, but I'm sure it's straight "butta!!!". I've owned a few modern Tele's and loved 'em. Bare bones and to the point. There is absolutely nothing to hide behind when playing one of those. Just CRANK IT and SPANK IT!!!

I'm almost 70 and bought my 1st guitar before Christmas and started lessons this week. I bought a Seagull folk. I first tried to talk my wife into letting me buy a 64 Fender Strat at the store for $11k, so she was pretty happy I bought the Seagull.

I'm almost 70 and bought my 1st guitar before Christmas and started lessons this week. I bought a Seagull folk. I first tried to talk my wife into letting me buy a 64 Fender Strat at the store for $11k, so she was pretty happy I bought the Seagull.

That is great news! I wish you all the best in your new adventure. Took me months to master my first chord switch, one finger at a time, slow as molasses... it was so worth to stick it out and decades later i'm still plugging away. And the calluses will build on those tender finger tips, you just need to put in the time.

Next year the Strat!
dave

Could've used the argument that it's an investment. As long as it's all original and nothing catastrophic (stratastophic?) happens to it, it's value will only increase with time

Congrats on the guitar. YouTube is your friend. Free lessons all over the place

That is great news! I wish you all the best in your new adventure. Took me months to master my first chord switch, one finger at a time, slow as molasses... it was so worth to stick it out and decades later i'm still plugging away. And the calluses will build on those tender finger tips, you just need to put in the time.

Next year the Strat!
dave

Thanks for the encouragement. I can deal with the tender finger tips. My focus is right now is on arching my fingers so I don't mute other strings. I'm retired so I've got the time (God willing and the Creek don't rise).

Could've used the argument that it's an investment. As long as it's all original and nothing catastrophic (stratastophic?) happens to it, it's value will only increase with time

Congrats on the guitar. YouTube is your friend. Free lessons all over the place

I tried the investment angle with no luck. My wife wouldn't know a Strat from a canoe. I tried youtube, but need one on one help with that fret hand. My teacher plays a telecaster during lessons, so I immediately took a liking to him.

View attachment 591258
I've got a number of guitars, but I always go back to my Telecasters!

2012 American Standard - Mystic Blue
1988 American Standard - Tobacco Burst
2012 American Special - Blonde (I highly recommend this guitar!)
1995 '52 Reissue
2003 American Standard - Natural Ash

Very nice collection right there. Love the '03 Natural Ash. Cheers.

Top Bottom