What's new

Badger Blends: Your Homemade Aftershave Mixes

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Great job on finding those threads lexar. Even though Aqua Velva is such a cheap aftershave, It makes me nervous mixing and messing around with such an classic aftershave. I feel the same way about Pinaud Clubman. in my mind, there is no way to improve on these famous aftershaves.

Skin Bracer is just as much of a classic. But when I created Bootlegger's Green Freeze, I realized the Skin Bracer did not take anything away from the Osage Rub. It only helped mask OR's medicinal scent. And vice versa, Osage Rub, helped boost the menthol kick and cooling blast of Skin Bracer to the next level. They both were green, so it didn't affect the color at all.

This seemingly perfect pairing and marriage of two great aftershaves is what I call, "Synergistic". In saying this, while Aqua Velva is a classic that doesn't need any improvement, in any area. If there was one other aftershave I would ever even think of mixing with the greatness that is called Classic Aqua Velva Ice Blue?

It would be Florida Water. I have never tried Blue Steel. And I don't know, who originally came up with the mix. But I think I would like to make up a sample and try it. If it's as good a I read in the threads you found, I would want to get permission from the original creator of "Blue Steel" to nominate it for a place in the Bootlegger's Collection.

Last edited:
I may have stumbled upon a new dual AS formulation this morning. Inspired by the bootleggers review I decided to mix up the only two AS I have. My wife was at an appointment during my experiment and upon her return the first words from her mouth were "why does it smell so good in here." I'll have to do some more tweaking and finalize the formula but I love the scent. More to come.

I may have stumbled upon a new dual AS formulation this morning. Inspired by the bootleggers review I decided to mix up the only two AS I have. My wife was at an appointment during my experiment and upon her return the first words from her mouth were "why does it smell so good in here." I'll have to do some more tweaking and finalize the formula but I love the scent. More to come.
So you're just gonna leave us hanging??

I had thought of this Bootlegger's thing , I have a 12.5 bottle of Stephan Bay Rum and it's a dud , but deluding a Super Strong type might save it from no use at all . My old Barber recommended cutting all the Old Barbershop AS's with witch hazel , but most I like the stronger scents , but one may show up .

Last edited:
Just when I thought nothing more could be learned on B&B...

i've been in Igor mode, trying to emulate Dr. Frankenstein, but really just throwing a whole bunch of body parts together, hoping something comes to life.

I do know I'm hoping that my creation will be worthy enough to be called Abbie Normal.

I've been splashing about with Tabac, Superior 70, Stephan Lilac, Indian OS, Clubman, Murray and Lanman FW, de Rosas, and Pacholi, AV Ice Blue, English Leather, 4711...with the non boot legger's Fine Sampler on standby, and some nonscented thayers thrown in.

But I must give high praise and thanks to the creator of Blue Steel. I love Aqua Velva, and I love Florida Water. But holy all that's holy, Blue Steel is a million times greater than the sum of its parts.

I've used Blue Steel twice now.

It certainly makes Florida Water palatable, because I can't stand the stuff by itself. But, the Florida Water actually overpowered the Aqua Velva. I didn't think that was possible. After all, Aqua Velva "covers up the smell of horse sweat and sin"!

What was left on my face after the dry down was just a more pleasant and milder FW. I really didn't detect anything that the AV was providing to the mix. And to me the longevity was s bit less than just AV by itself.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, just not as much as I was hoping I would. It is a good was of using up some FW.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Did Blue Steel this a.m.

Dang if they never blended- simply smelled both AS at once.

Really and truly strange. Looked cool, though. Well named.

AA

I've been experimenting with some varieties of Clubman, and I really like this one:
2 parts Clubman
1 part Clubman Special Reserve
1 part Gabels bay rum
1/2 part Clubman musk

no name yet

OkieStubble

Did Blue Steel this a.m.

Dang if they never blended- simply smelled both AS at once.

Really and truly strange. Looked cool, though. Well named.

I mixed up a small sample and tried it myself today after my shave. First impressions were the same as yours and Kj's. I could smell the ingredients of both aftershaves, but neither seemed to benefit from the addition of the other.

This is why I am always hesitant of mixing stuff only for the sake of mixing it and not because it was lacking something. Aqua Velva nor Florida Water lack anything that would warrant them needing to be mixed. Except for maybe a little bit of Glycerin for the FW.

What is a great classic like Pinaud Clubman missing, that would want to make someone mix it with anything? Is it possible to make Clubman better than what it already is?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I mixed up a small sample and tried it myself today after my shave. First impressions were the same as yours and Kj's. I could smell the ingredients of both aftershaves, but neither seemed to benefit from the addition of the other.

This is why I am always hesitant of mixing stuff only for the sake of mixing it and not because it was lacking something. Aqua Velva nor Florida Water lack anything that would warrant them needing to be mixed. Except for maybe a little bit of Glycerin for the FW.

What is a great classic like Pinaud Clubman missing, that would want to make someone mix it with anything? Is it possible to make Clubman better than what it already is?

Completely agree! Clubman is one perfect blend as is!

Even Pinauds other offerings based on it- Clubman Vanilla or Musk- I think are weak siblings in comparison.

AA

While we're on the topic of Pinauds aftershaves and mixing for the hell of it. I have come to the final ratio for my blend. I started at 50/50 which was a natural beginning for me. It seemed perfect. Just in case I tried various ratios in favor of one aftershave or the other. In the end a 1 part HBG bay rum to 1 part Pinaud's Clubman results in a scent I am happy with. In regards to messing with AS that don't necessarily need messing with, I say why not? Even if it makes something only one person is happy with, what's wrong with that?

Anyway I hope others try this out and give me some feedback about the new scent. Is the ratio off, is it synergistic, etc.

Don't get me wrong I love both these AS individually but they're all I had at the time of mixing so experimentation was limited.

Attachments

• $IMG_20160314_231429.jpg
    $IMG_20160314_231429.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 148

OkieStubble

No offense meant Glen, it is just my personal opinion. And you know what they say about opinions... Everybody has one, along with other parts of their anatomy... :)

My question to you is this:

Do you like your mix, better than Pinaud Clubman alone?

No offense meant Glen, it is just my personal opinion. And you know what they say about opinions... Everybody has one, along with other parts of their anatomy... :)

My question to you is this:

Do you like your mix, better than Pinaud Clubman alone?

I wasn't offended. It's difficult to convey tone via written word, but I digress. In regards to pinaud Clubman. I like Clubman and the new blend equally. I left out the bay rum because it isn't as long lasting by itself. It gets a boost to scent duration by mixing with Clubman.

Is it possible to make Clubman better than what it already is?
Completely agree! Clubman is one perfect blend as is!

Actually, the more I use clubman, the more I don't like it. I love the base smell, but it is way too powdery for me. The weird thing is, I didn't even used to notice the powdery scent. Now, it seems stronger than ever. I've tried mixing clubman with a few things to maintain a barbershop scent, but kill the powder, without luck.

Oh well, at least there's Avon Wild Country, which to me is Clubman, without the powder.

OkieStubble

This is why I like variety and a big rotation of AS. By the time I get back to Clubman, I am looking forward to that powdery, old timey, barbershop scent. :)

Top Bottom