What's new

Blue Floid -- overrated? which BLUE is best ...?

I repost this message, as I realize my title the first time around was hopelessly misleading ...

"Blue" aftershave ....

To me it continues to pose a kind of elusive attraction ...! Not as my only aftershave, but as one distinct "class" of aftershaves, which I am really prone to spend money trying.

I became a full-blooded wet shaving hobbyist in early 2016, so I am "too young" to have tried the fabled Floïd Blue.

The FLoid Blue seems to have achieved and almost mythological status among blue aftershaves, a gold-standard against which every other blue aftershave is measured. I would have really liked to try the Floid Blue, given all the hype (and given that I love Floid's orange aftershaves).

But since trying the Blue FLoid is not an easy option, I am beginning to find the persistent talk of Blue FLoid a bit annoying.
Every time I try a new Blue, I can't help wondering how it might compare to Blue Floid.

There is good reason to, and my latest example proves my point.

I recently purchased two new "Blues":

The Razorock "Blue Barbershop" aftershave splash, and

The FURBO Blue Vintage aftershave.

I admit that the main reason I purchased these two aftershaves was precisely that each of them have been compared to, and claimed to closely resemble -- the Blue Floid ...!

In fact, I have even read, of each of them, that it is THE Blue aftershave that comes closest to the fragrance of Floid Blue.
Allegedly the Razorock Blue Barbershop was even created specifically to resemble Blue Floid as closely as possible.

So being curious about "Blues" in general, and the fabled Blue Floid in particular, I splurged yet again and got the Furbo, and the Razorock Blue.

They arrived, and so what did I find ...?

I have to confess, I am under-whelmed, somewhat disappointed, with both of them...!!

It is not that they don't "smell good". They do, the smell "BLUE" alright. Both have a nice menthol kick as a BLUE should have, the Furbo being on the strong side. They also each have an OK postshave feel, the Furbo even contains allantoin, which is an ingredient I really have come to like for its postshave feel.

Yet, if either one of them is "the closest you get" to Blue Floid nowadays -- as many have claimed -- I am left wondering what all the hype about Blue Floid is about. I certainly don't think they are the best BLUES that I have tried. Perhaps Blue FLoid is mainly talked so much about, precisely because it is NOT available anymore.

So, I give up now. No more chasing something "like the Blue Floid" for me. Given the experience I now have, I conclude that the Blue Floid probably was not really that spectacular.

And in fact, after the disappointment has settled, I find this quite liberating. I can now leave Blue Floid behind me, forget about it, and be more open to other "Blues".

So, as far as BLUES still in existence go ...

I still think good old Williams Aqua Velva Ice Blue has a lot to recommend. Excellent and very distinct spicy blue scent, nice postshave feel, nice subtle menthol kick, not too powerful. And cheap and readily available, in a variety of bottles. Perhaps a bit overly "Retro" in its scent profile, but entirely appropriate for a true "vintage" aftershave.

I have also really come to appreciate the scent of the Myrsol Blue. Very clean and pure "Blue", but subtle, both in menthol kick, scent and post shave feel. It's nearly a pure alcohol based aftershave, active ingredient otherwise is just sorbitol, so for lingering postshave feel it is not the strongest aftershave. But then, reapplication through the day is always an option, leaving you in control ...

But my favourite among the Blues I have tried so far, has got to be the Epsilon Blue Mediterranean. You will readily find information that this aftershave too is "like the Floid Blue", and fitting replacement for, etc ...
Be that as it may. At first, I found this aftershave too "sticky", too much glycerin in it. But after some use, I have really come to appreciate it. Let the glycerin dry out a bit, and after one hour or so, you have the most wonderful postshave feel on your face for much of the remaining day. Another thing I really like about it's postshave feel, is the level of menthol kick. It is quite powerful and lingers for a long time, yet not quite as potent as the Furbo. But what really nails the number one spot for Epsilon Blue Mediterranean, is its scent ...! It is within the BLUE register of course, but it has a particular flavor of Blue, a subtle "spice" to it, that I think it will be hard for other Blues to beat. At that, it is long-lasting, like the rest of the postshave feel for the this aftershave.

If some day I get the opportunity, sure I would love to try the Blue Floid. Meanwhile, after having chased BLUES ostensibly resembling the Floid, I must conclude that Blue Floid most likely was not really that outstanding, compared to the many other nice Blues available today. Certainly not worth obsessing about. In the process, I have found some very nice blue aftershaves, even a favourite, which will forever be among my top picks.

__ So, over to you, fans of the BLUES. What are your experiences ..?

_ Have you too chased "something similar to the Blue Floid" like me, if so, what have you found ..?

_ Did you even have the good luck to actually try the Blue Floid, if so, how do you find it compares to other Blues ...?

_ And, in the process, did you find a favourite BLUE that you want to recommend ... if so, which, and why ...?

I was just thinking about the BLUES! I had the floid amber and loved it. I was so curious about the floid blue and looked into similar aftershaves. When I had the opportunity to buy it I never did, once it was unavailable I wanted it. I bought the barbershop blue from razorock and was totally underwhelmed. Im now considering trying the Blue spice from lustray

I like the Epsilon Blue Mediterranean very much. At first, I thought it had too much glycerin, but I changed my mind. The trick is to apply just a small amount to your face when the face is still damp after shaving. Rub it in, and the resulting post-shave feel is really nice, with a great menthol kick.

I still want to try some of the other blue aftershaves, though.

Post an add on the BST WTB and try it first hand. It pops up every now and then.

Floid Blue is Floid Blue. Based on what you have said, tried and are hoping to achieve in Floid Blue, I think you will be disappointed when you finally find/try it. To me RR "Baby Blue" was fairly close and a decent interpretation. At least good enough to be in the ballpark of the scent.

What does "blue" smell like anyways? At one time, RR had an error sale on "Mr Pink" It was "Baby Blue" with the wrong color added. Smelled like blue, but looked pink.

Obligatory Floid 400ml photo
1708095186619.png

Last edited:
I like the Epsilon Blue Mediterranean very much. At first, I thought it had too much glycerin, but I changed my mind.

Yes, I too was thinking of Epsilon, the other one being Myrsol Blue, which might be easier to get in some countries.

Truth be told, I had the original Floïd Blue years back and did not find it as impressive as people today make you believe. Nice enough, but nothing worth going gaga over…

B.

Truth be told, I had the original Floïd Blue years back and did not find it as impressive as people today make you believe. Nice enough, but nothing worth going gaga over…
That's exactly what I suspected. Thanks!

I too was thinking of Epsilon, the other one being Myrsol Blue

As said, I can recommend both. In one regard they are quite different (apart from scent): Myrsol Blue does does not linger for nearly as long as Epsilon. Depending whether you have a preference, that could influence choice ...

Post an add on the BST WTB and try it first hand. It pops up every now and then.
I did find on Ebay before, just wasn't prepared to dish out 100€ for it.

Floid Blue is Floid Blue. Based on what you have said, tried and are hoping to achieve in Floid Blue, I think you will be disappointed when you finally find/try it.
You may well be right there. I really think the Amber Floid is in a league of its own, absolutely love it (The Genuine, and the now discontinued Vigoroso). But of course that does not mean that the "Blue" is/was in a league of its own as well.

Last edited:
I wouldn't judge a product based on other products that are supposed to be similar. I'm using Floid Blue now and love it.
Strictly speaking you are right. Nonetheless, When those other products are quite consistently claimed to be very similar to the real thing, I don't think it is entirely unreasonable to draw conclusions based on those other products.

I have only tried Fine Barber Blue - I enjoy it, but boy... It's manly 😅 Not sure I'm old enough for it yet - I'm 32... But still like it, and wife likes it too - not sure my confidence is good enough to wear it outside house 😎

Really like the mentol hit, though

The B&B BST will be more reasonable.
I never tried that before -- how does it work ..? I am based in the EU, and was under the impression that this kind of trading within B&B was mainly between people based in the US ... but perhaps I am mistaken ...?

Fine Barber Blue - I enjoy it, but boy... It's manly
:kyle1:
:c18::lol:
The first aftershave I ever became aware of was my uncle's back when I was a kid in the 1970s. He was a very "manly man", having emigrated from Europe to the USA, chain smoking cigarettes, drinking whisky and wearing "bolo" neck ties, AND, appearing every morning in a scent-cloud that I now recognize as Aqua Velva... !! So Aqua Velva has a very special place in my scent universe. For me, Aqua Velva constitutes something like the "Ur-Blue", if not the Ur aftershave scent .... I can easily get too much of it, but once in a blue moon, it's heavenly, and I find it very "manly" .... :Veg:

I never tried that before -- how does it work ..? I am based in the EU, and was under the impression that this kind of trading within B&B was mainly between people based in the US ... but perhaps I am mistaken ...?
Post a thread in the Marketplace. Use the prefix "WTB - Want to Buy". Specify you are looking for EU members.

I'm in Canada and have done the same with Buying or Selling.

It's worth a shot

Ps. My Mom is from Denmark, so I'm 1/2 Danish. Mmmmmm Risalamande!!!! My Wife learned to make it from my Mom. That and Boller I Karry are my favorites.

I'm in Canada and have done the same with Buying or Selling.

It's worth a shot

Ps. My mom is from Denmark, so I'm 1/2 Danish. Mmmmmm Risalamande!!!! My wife learned to make it from my Mom.
Thanks for sharing. Small world. I was born and raised in Denmark, but I have lived many years in Canada (AB and BC) due to a previous marriage, I'm a dual Danish/Canadian citizen too. My son still lives in Victoria, and loves Risalamande..!

Post a WTB post with your location. Aftershaves are a bit of a special case because of postal rules about shipping things containing alcohol. Should be OK within the EU, but not allowed from USA to EU or visa-versa for whatever reasons.

I had the original Floid blue.

I bought it because, even when it was still available, people on here talked about it like it was the best thing ever.

Needless to say, I was underwhelmed. It was definitely aftershave. It was definitely a nice product. But, it wasn't really any better than the proraso sandalwood i have now. At least that's my opinion.

I don't even remember what it smelled like. In other words, it didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

Top Bottom