What's new

Revised version - opinions sought!

Tell me what you think! I wanted to get feedback from you all on our brushes. We have an artisan that has made them for many years to my design. Both shape and color. They have proven to be steady sellers from day one. Our current offering is on the right. Secure grip, nautical color to the resin - a swirling blend of blue and bronze.

I had him make up one this shape in a different color resin, call it abalone. It favors the shell of the same color. I had him create a new shape for us on his lathe. In the hand it feels chunkier to me in a good way, fingers nestle right in there.

What do you think of:

1. Color
2. Shape

Be candid, you aren't going to hurt any feelings here. Mainly I had him create this one-off for feedback both good and bad. Both of these have the synthetic knot and we have them available in Silvertip as well but are presently out of stock.

And there is an idea: What if silver tip were only available in this new color and shape handle. Then the synthetic remains as it is. Or maybe you can come up with another version? Would love to hear what you all think!

~ The Captain

IMG_9827.jpeg

IMG_9828.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve seen some very expensive brushes with handles similar to the one on the right. I’ve always admired the design. I’m more of a two-band silvertip myself as I like a bit of gentle scrub.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve seen some very expensive brushes with handles similar to the one on the right. I’ve always admired the design. I’m more of a two-band silvertip myself as I like a bit of gentle scrub.
I see I’m confused once again. I’m colorblind, as some might recall. I thought the abalone was on the right. I’m home from work now and took a closer look (and read). I do like the simple design of the new proposed brush on the left as well.

An aside: a few of us have been looking for something special for our Athenas: a clear razor stand. I don’t know if your handle guy and you would be interested in a small project like that or not. It might not be worth the investment for you but I thought I’d mention it. My own idea for the shape would be a Persian Jar design, clear so its beautiful handle would be visible.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The one on the left is my preference. Simple and easy to grip.

I have a brush with a handle like the one on the right and I almost never use it even though I want to. It’s the grip that keeps me from using it. Maybe because the first joint of my thumb bends back so far, I just can’t get a good comfortable grip on that thing and it annoys me.

I'm the wrong person to comment on aesthetics, but I do like the classic look of the one on the right. I especially like how the handle tapers to allow the brush to hang better from brush stands, which should allow the brush to dry better (this may be more of an issue with natural hairs, like silvertip, though).

I've had brushes with thick handles; drying them was difficult. I really didn't want to dry them upside down, as that could lead to mold in the knot.

I like the color of the one on the right, as it's more classic metallic theme, but I respect the one on the left, as it could be more of a hippie vibe. I don't think the shape of the one on the left works for the color, though. It's frumpy instead of playful, creating an undesirable contrast with the color pattern.
I like the shape of the one on the right. For looks and functionality both, I'd suggest moving the ring up the handle so the collar is less thick and the grip part of it is a little wider. That would make holding it more comfortable.

The Rights have it for me.
Sync's use for vegan soaps.
Boar for the occasional tallow.
22/24 mm
Don't know anything about the knots ..
Like the colors but think a more contrasting colors mixed might pop more...

BFX

The Captain Rocks!

Top Bottom