What's new

Blue Floid -- overrated? which BLUE is best ...?

I can't believe that Will decided to discontinue Cool. After Floid Blue, that was my favorite and now they are both gone. :(

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I first started traditional wet shaving 7 years ago people who used Floid blue where taken back that they had stopped making it so a few other fragrance makers like Razorock came out with their version and its enjoyable.
I use RR Blue Barber this morning and it was great, great lather and splash fragrance and even better when on sale!
SOTD March 2 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Oh, I forgot to say that I strongly recommend Blue Spice by Lustray as a deserving member of the blues club. It's powdery and very 1950s barbershoppish. Quite nice. I always feel like I should be having a cigarette when I use it.
The scent you describe sounds right down my alley.

However, I looked up Lustray Blue Spice, and learnt that it is produced by Clubman (Pinaud Clubman).
The issue I am having with the Clubman "aftershaves" is that I feel there is not much "aftershave" about them, strictly speaking. It's just scent and alcohol. Thus, the ingredients I find for Lustray Blue Spice are as follows:

SD Alcohol 40B, Water (Aqua, Eau), Fragrance (Parfum), Alpha- Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Cinnamic Alcohol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Evernia Prunastri Oakmoss Extract, Hydroxycitronellal, Limonene, Linalool, Blue 1.

In other words, no moisturizer, no skin pampering otherwise, not even menthol, nothing -- as far as I can tell.
But please correct me if I am mistaken.

For this reason I think Clubman "aftershaves" are more appropriately characterized as "colognes", as this pretty much holds true for all the Clubman products commonly mentioned as "aftershaves".

And there is nothing wrong with using a cologne as a part as the ritual/treat "after-shaving", but, in terms of the meaning of the word "aftershave", I feel a proper aftershave should contain a minimum of skin pampering ingredients to qualify as an "aftershave", even if it is just glycerin or castor oil, menthol, or the like (apart from alcohol, which of course is also an "active" ingredient disinfecting the skin). Many of the "classic" aftershaves already mentioned among the "Blues" here don't have more than that (just glycerin or castor oil, and perhaps menthol as "active ingredients", apart from alcohol and scent). But just alcohol and scent does not quite cut it if it is to pass for a proper aftershave -- as I feel about it.

I intend no critique here, this is just for clarification -- and some of you may well feel differently about this issue. But it makes a difference in terms of what should be "on the list" of great BLUE aftershaves ....

Say, Myrsol's Blue COLOGNE -- would cancel out the well known property of the Blue Myrsol AFTERSHAVE that it does not having a long lasting scent. The Myrsol Blue Cologne does have a longer lasting scent I believe (have never actually tried it) -- it's just not an "aftershave", as (I guess) it's lacking in this case sorbitol, and menthol, which the aftershave does contain as active aftershave ingredients.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to start a long rant about this, the way it ended up now -- But there you have it

Last edited:
The scent you describe sounds right down my alley.

However, I looked up Lustray Blue Spice, and learnt that it is produced by Clubman (Pinaud Clubman).
The issue I am having with the Clubman "aftershaves" is that I feel there is not much "aftershave" about them, strictly speaking. It's just scent and alcohol. Thus, the ingredients I find for Lustray Blue Spice are as follows:

SD Alcohol 40B, Water (Aqua, Eau), Fragrance (Parfum), Alpha- Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Cinnamic Alcohol, Coumarin, Eugenol, Evernia Prunastri Oakmoss Extract, Hydroxycitronellal, Limonene, Linalool, Blue 1.

In other words, no moisturizer, no skin pampering otherwise, not even menthol, nothing -- as far as I can tell.
But please correct me if I am mistaken.

For this reason I think Clubman "aftershaves" are more appropriately characterized as "colognes", as this pretty much holds true for all the Clubman products commonly mentioned as "aftershaves".

And there is nothing wrong with using a cologne as a part as the ritual/treat "after-shaving", but, in terms of the meaning of the word "aftershave", I feel a proper aftershave should contain a minimum of skin pampering ingredients to qualify as an "aftershave", even if it is just glycerin or castor oil, menthol, or the like (apart from alcohol, which of course is also an "active" ingredient disinfecting the skin). Many of the "classic" aftershaves already mentioned among the "Blues" here don't have more than that (just glycerin or castor oil, and perhaps menthol as "active ingredients", apart from alcohol and scent). But just alcohol and scent does not quite cut it if it is to pass for a proper aftershave -- as I feel about it.

I intend no critique here, this is just for clarification -- and some of you may well feel differently about this issue. But it makes a difference in terms of what should be "on the list" of great BLUE aftershaves ....

Say, Myrsol's Blue COLOGNE -- would cancel out the well known property of the Blue Myrsol AFTERSHAVE that it does not having a long lasting scent. The Myrsol Blue Cologne does have a longer lasting scent I believe (have never actually tried it) -- it's just not an "aftershave", as (I guess) it's lacking in this case sorbitol, and menthol, which the aftershave does contain as active aftershave ingredients.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to start a long rant about this, the way it ended up now -- But there you have it
I don't dispute or take issue with your personal definition of "aftershave" - mine is much broader, and I simply refer to a product as aftershave if that's how the maker labeled it. I included Lustray Blue Spice as a member of the Floid Blue-type family of scents, since scent was the primary focus of this discussion, that's all. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I believe I have come across another Floid Blue imitator, but I'm not certain, as I haven't smelled either. Has anyone tried it?
1709974753564.png
It's Turkish Marmara Barber Deluxe No 12. They call it an eau de cologne, but it's intended to be used as an aftershave.
The descriptions from the manufacturer and retailers seems vague, but the notes are listed as
"TOP NOTES
Citron, Tangerine, Sea Juice, Orange
MIDDLE NOTES
Jasmine, lily of the valley
BASE NOTES
Oak moss, Tonka bean"

The other scents in the Deluxe range might be clones of other aftershaves as well, No 13 might be a Proraso Green clone, and the No 11 (brown) and No 14 (red) might be clones of other Floid scents? It's all very unclear, and I can't find many reviews of the scents online.

Og floid blue rocks. I used it on my wedding day.

Epsilon blue gets very close on the scent.

That said, i think furbo, bm cool, and rr blue barbershop smell “better”, but not closer, if that makes any sense.

Nothing quite gets it perfectly, but most are similar.

I am getting to wonder, what is the "defining" characteristics of a "BLUE" aftershave ...?

Well, apart from the colour ...?

I'd say (but please pitch in...):

__ I'd expect its color to be blue (not a strict requirement, but close to...)

__ I'd expect some level of menthol (again not strict requirement)

__ As for the scent ....:
I am not sure what specific kinds of notes distinguish a "Blue" aftershave ...
I have a pretty good idea what I want a Blue aftershave to smell like, but I generally find it hard to put words on scents. But I'll give it a shot. Top notes, some version of citrus combined with menthol/mint-ish and floral (perhaps lilac and/or lavender, and/or lily of the valley, and/or crocus ...?? "blue-ish flowers ... ) middle notes, some of the floral keep lingering, perhaps together with some citrus, and some subtle version of wooden notes protrude more at this stage too, anything from patchouli, or pine/ceder-ish, even musky ...

But as said, I am not good at putting words on scents, perhaps I am way out to lunch here ....

So, over to you people ... what defines the "BLUE", ...??
What do "BLUE" aftershaves minimally have in common ..?

Last edited:
Myrsol Blue is, in my mind, the quintessential 'blue' aftershave. You are correct, the cologne is lasts much longer but does not have the skin care ingredients of the AS. They do make a wonderful pair .... and a full hat trick if you add their soap, which unfortunately, doesn't seem to get much love around here.

Suggesting a couple blue colored aftershaves, which, have scent similarities to other blue aftershaves being discussed here. Aspen, by Lucky Tiger...and, 4711, by Muehlins. Both of these are worthy of inclusion, IMO. Aspen, has citrus, woody, aquatic, and mild spice in the fold...a pleasure to wear, and smell, sort of like modern Aqua Velva Ice Blue, less the mint and menthol. 4711 has citrus, aquatic, and woody scents, and has close similarities to Floid and Myrsol Blue. Maybe the blue thing keeps going and going...

Top Bottom