What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
And why Muhle r41? is it the best modern razor out there today? All I hear is R41 all the time, who has one and swear by it, I am about to buy one and don't want to have the same ole razor with a different name. R41 users please stand up!

For me, the R41 gives me the closest shaves with the least amount of irritation. I've tried the EJ DE89, and several various vintage Gillettes (adj and non-adj) and I have had some degree of irritation on each. I was even surprised that such an aggressive razor would give me such excellent results. I am and R41 owner and I wholeheartedly stand up for it!

I have one and swear by it.

I won't go as far as to say that I do not like or appreciate my other razors any more, but the new R41 certainly fits my style of shaving perfectly. Using a very light stroke after a good prep this razor provides very effective results. I do shave in the shower, do use a good soap and lather and certainly I do not recommend this razor for people who insist on 4 or 5 passes.

For the daily 2 pass shave, this razor is hard to beat.

I am one of those who regret that we do not seem to have a better word for it than 'aggressive'. Muhle themselves calls the shaving 'close' and 'direct' and that is how I would describe it also. I have never had nicks or weepers with a R41, which I found amazing. I used it for three weeks exclusively, no damage at all, and as soon as I went back to my beloved NEW I managed to nick myself in the first shave.

The design is quite unique, the razor does not look like any other in the collection. Nor does it sound like the others - this one is loud. It is in no way a regular design with another brand name, nor does it look like anything open comb I have seen before.

It is also Muhle quality, in other words flawlessly built. And in the same Muhle tradition, as with the R89, the type numbers over the years are pretty confusing.

Is it the best razor today? I don't know. What I can say it is probably my best razor. I haven't had a chance to see and test a Joris or a Pils myself. Those look stunning and very high quality also.
The new R41 may - as is often observed - not be a beginner's razor, but I think it deserves a place in many rotations.

I put my money where my mouth is and bought all three versions of it; chrome, black and white :001_smile

Last edited:
It's very PRECISE.

Definition of PRECISE from MW:
1: exactly or sharply defined or stated
2: minutely exact
3: strictly conforming to a pattern, standard, or convention
4: distinguished from every other <at just that precise moment>

"Precise" might be better description than "aggressive".

Thanks! That's a good way to coin the performance indeed.

It's very PRECISE.

Definition of PRECISE from MW:
1: exactly or sharply defined or stated
2: minutely exact
3: strictly conforming to a pattern, standard, or convention
4: distinguished from every other <at just that precise moment>

"Precise" might be better description than "aggressive".

If the price was right, I'd order it up. I'm probably not ready to use it and I am trying not to spend $$ right now, but a deal is a deal!

I got 6 Alex and I swear by them, been shaving for close to 40 years and tried just about every type style and make of one sort or another, the New R41 is my all time go to razor bar none.

I like aggressive razors and the 2011 Muhle R41 is the best razor I've owned, ever. I shave daily and I have never had so many comfortable BBS shaves. I had to test different blades in order to find the right one. The best blades were the Personna Med, Astra SP, Perma Sharps (Russian) and Personna Labs.

I got 6 Alex and I swear by them, been shaving for close to 40 years and tried just about every type style and make of one sort or another, the New R41 is my all time go to razor bar none.

speaking of KM-instructor, why did you buy six? I remember when you were snatching up all of them on the BST the other day lol. Just curious more than anything. What razor was your go to razor prior to the R41?

And yeah maxzoran, I know razorbladesandmore.com just got some white handled ones. Thinking about buying one myself.

speaking of KM-instructor, why did you buy six? I remember when you were snatching up all of them on the BST the other day lol. Just curious more than anything. What razor was your go to razor prior to the R41?

And yeah maxzoran, I know razorbladesandmore.com just got some white handled ones. Thinking about buying one myself.

Ruh Roh! Surely I don't need more than one right? Right?

2 houses and a girlfriends house, plus a boat, I like to have what i use in all places I live.

Never reall had a go to Razor before the R41, but I did use mainly open combs, Futur sometimes and a Vision still for my noggin.

I do not recommend this razor for people who insist on 4 or 5 passes....For the daily 2 pass shave, this razor is hard to beat.

I've been using mine every day for nearly three months now. I always do a four-pass shave, and marvel at how comfortable they can be with this razor.

I too have a "Tooth Comb" R41. I have a good assortment of safety bar & open comb razors but the R41 "Tooth Comb" is a very different animal. The R41 is not a replacement for my other razors but it is a welcome alternative and addition to them.

I've come to favor the short comb Gillette "New" as my daily razor and I'm wondering how the R41 compares to it, performance-wise? I like simplicity. Three piece razors fit the bill for me.

After buying and using the much ballyhooed Merkur Vision, I want something low maintenance; a razor that doesn't require an engineering degree to disassemble and clean with each blade change. :angry:

I use an R41 primarily because I wanted to experience a more "efficient" razor to compare to the only other DE razor I have ever used the DE89L... I also have to admit that when everyone on the board seems to say this razor isn't for beginners I took it on as a personal challenge being that I was a beginner.

Top Bottom