What's new

Muhle R41,The combined thread

What are you doing with the R41?

• I used it, I didnt like it, Im getting rid of it

• I used it, I liked it, Im keeping it

• I used it, it cut me and/or irritated me, but the jury is still out

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep, clear as mud. I think most are saying cutting edge flatter to skin, and my face dictated that angle as well- comb completely off skin.

So to get the blade flatter against the skin, the handle needs to be closer to 90 degrees to the face?

I asked this, as logic says the head doesn't curve the blade as much as other razors and therefore to get a shallow blade angle, the handle has to be further away from your face to do this.

Do you agree, or am i being thick?

So to get the blade flatter against the skin, the handle needs to be closer to 90 degrees to the face?

I asked this, as logic says the head doesn't curve the blade as much as other razors and therefore to get a shallow blade angle, the handle has to be further away from your face to do this.

Do you agree, or am i being thick?

You're exactly on point. Andreas Mülller, Mühle's General Manager said pretty much the same thing.

OK, I paid attention to what I was doing last night, and I think my average angle is about 30 degrees. In other words, in the diagram below, the vertical line OB is my face and the diagonal line OC is the blade. I say "average" because I noticed that I rock the razor a good deal, so that the actual angle may vary anywhere from 25 to 65 degrees or so, as a rough estimate.

I guess I'm using the R41 in a pretty aggressive way, yet my face must be used to it because it feels great afterwards. I typically do 2 passes plus touch-up with this razor, but the touch-up can get a little obsessive. When I go back to the MMOC or the Old Type, it's like I'm shaving with a teddy bear (well, almost).

full

Last edited by a moderator:
If the OB line represents the face surface, I think my average cutting angle (BOC) is about 25° or less. I keep it as small as practically possible.

UPDATE

For almost two months I have been shaving daily - testing blades - with the 2011 Muhle R41.
Here are the best performing blades in the R41:

Personna Med (Hospital Use)
Astra SP
Personna Lab
Perma Sharp (Russian)

Here is the list of the blades that I tried in the R41:
Personna RP
Feather
Derby Extra
Treet Durasharp (Yellow)
Perma Sharp (Turkish)
Timor
Schick Platinum Plus (vintage)
Crystal Super
ASCO Super Stainless
PermaSharp (Russian)
Personna Lab
Astra SP

I have used many DE razors, a few SE razors including injectors, carts and straights and the 2011 Muhle R41 has been the best razor that I have ever used. I've never had so many comfortable BBS shaves in my life. It has been awesome! :001_smile

In the future I might do further testing to determine the single best blade for the R41.

Last edited:
After having read most of noahpictures' 'shave off' thread in anticipation of the arrival of my new R41, I decided to go with the Astra SP, which like him, I have never had much luck with. Well it arrived today and I'm fresh out of the bathroom. I don't think it went as well as many have reported, but I'd put that down to lack of concentration. Despite the fact that I was bleeding more than any other time since I started DE shaving a year ago, I still couldn't stop smiling. I own/owned: futur, NEW improved, Feather AS, slim, rocket, EJ Barley Chrome, NEW long tooth OC (which I use currently), and a Valet SE (also in current use), and I have never achieved bbs due to my dense strong flat lying hairs, sensitive skin, and imperfect technique. Today I managed bbs in the easier places (and even on either side of my throat which I never even manage to get close) with only WTG and XTG passes. I've never had that even with a WTG, XTG, and 2 ATG passes with any other razor. It certainly does show up my weak points, but I think that's a good thing, and I'll be able to carry over my improved technique to my Gillette NEW. The sound it makes is unlike anything including my my SE and my memory of the futur.

While I don't think an aggressive razor for a beginner is such a bad idea, I would strongly warn against this particular razor as a first razor.

Absolutely love this razor (with feather blades). Cured my RAD! My vintage razors are now strictly for when I feel nostalgic.

Noah, try the 7 O'Clock yellows. I found them to be quite nice in the R41.

UPDATE

For almost two months I have been shaving daily - testing blades - with the 2011 Muhle R41.

Astra SP
Personna Lab
Perma Sharp (Russian)

Personna RP
Feather
Derby Extra
Treet Durasharp (Yellow)
Perma Sharp (Turkish)
Timor
Crystal Super
ASCO Super Stainless
PermaSharp (Russian)
Personna Lab
Astra SP

I have used many DE razors, a few SE razors including injectors, carts and straights and the 2011 Muhle R41 has been the best razor that I have ever used. I've never had so many comfortable BBS shaves in my life. It has been awesome! :001_smile

In the future I might do further testing to determine the single best blade for the R41.

UPDATE

Astra SP
Personna Lab
Perma Sharp (Russian)

Personna RP
Feather
Derby Extra
Treet Durasharp (Yellow)
Perma Sharp (Turkish)
Timor
Crystal Super
ASCO Super Stainless
PermaSharp (Russian)
Personna Lab
Astra SP

I presume since you listed them seperately you get different results with the Personna Med vs. Personna Lab. Correct?

So far the only blades I've tried with my new R41 are the Iridium Super (I had one gifted to me.) and the Permasharp. I can't begin to comment on the blades because the razor is just SO different from my previous tools (23c & 37c) that I have been suffering A LOT of weepers and even a few nicks that are most certainly due to incorrect razor head angle.

Probably a Zinc alloy, like the Merkur razors, though the Muhle razors are finished in a much better fashion.

Does someone know what is material (alloy) the razor is made of ? Brass, iron, or what ? Are those modern razors made of the same alloy like Gillette pre-WWII ?

This razor cured my RAD. Agressive, yes. But not overly so. It shaves so close that I actually wonder why I bother to make a second pass.

I do wish I could switch out the handle for something more substantial....

Contact Bob at bob's razor works. He can make you a handle as substantial as you could ever want.

I presume since you listed them seperately you get different results with the Personna Med vs. Personna Lab. Correct?

So far the only blades I've tried with my new R41 are the Iridium Super (I had one gifted to me.) and the Permasharp. I can't begin to comment on the blades because the razor is just SO different from my previous tools (23c & 37c) that I have been suffering A LOT of weepers and even a few nicks that are most certainly due to incorrect razor head angle.

The Personna Meds provided 9 shaves and felt smoother than the Lab which provided 6 shaves. The two blades didn't feel similar to me.
Use the least aggressive angle, and negative pressure. Needless to say good lather is essential.

So where is a good place to buy this in the US?

Bullgooseshaving and Westcoastshaving sells the razor.

Top Bottom