What's new

Discussion Thread: TGQ Desert Ironwood

One can get an idea of the different scents she offers here[PDF warning].

Didn't get this particular one but the 6 I got all performed equally well. The cream($13.95 now) as well.

This thread is for discussing the review of The Gentlemens Quarter Desert Ironwood Soap.

I received a nice chunk of the Desert Ironwood *bath soap* in my recent purchase from Colleen of her "Leatherneck" and "Cavendish Black" shaving soaps. "Desert Ironwood" is an Essential Oil-only soap, while the other two are Fragrance Oil-only soaps.

The "Desert Ironwood" bath soap has a wonderful smell -- it fills my bathroom with a palpable scent; and on my face, as pre-shave prep, it was wonderful (first use, this evening, followed by shaving with "Leatherneck").

I look forward to purchasing some of Colleen's EO-only shaving soaps in the not-too-distant future, and I recommend all of them for the lather and lubrication they provide.

The desert ironwood is a great fall/winter scent. You can't go wrong with Colleen's soaps and creams. :thumbup:

Jordan

The NEW pricelist is available here. As good as Colleen's products are, the fact that the new year has brought about a 50% price increase is hardly welcome news and makes me less eager to recommend others to her - she's simply not the value that she used to be, though I'm quite sure the quality remains.

Ouch. That is quite an increase on the soaps. Glad I got my 7 pucks when I did.

I'd still buy the cream though. At $13.95 it is 12.3¢/gram. Middle of the road...50% more than the Taylor/Vulfix/Salter but comparable to Trumper's.

The NEW pricelist is available here. As good as Colleen's products are, the fact that the new year has brought about a 50% price increase is hardly welcome news and makes me less eager to recommend others to her - she's simply not the value that she used to be, though I'm quite sure the quality remains.

In advance, please forgive my implicit assumption that you haven't tried the comparable glycerin-based shaving soaps from, say, "Em's Place". For my money (and I've purchased and used shaving soaps from both "Em's Place" and "TGC"), the quality of the lather, and most important, the lubricity of Colleen's shaving soaps, is head-and-shoulders above those from "Em's Place". WRT to the fragrances; here, too, Colleen's soaps are several "cuts above" those from "Em's Place".

At $8.95 for a 3" soap-round from Colleen (as opposed to $5.75 in the 2006 TGC price list), yes, it's a 50% price increase... one which reflects a one-person operation that includes research into scents and other ingredients, how those components work/don't-work together, development, testing, and packaging. What's more, Colleen Hurley and TGC are a solely shaving soap/cream-based enterprise, with no extra income generated via the reselling of other items purchased at wholesale prices, but sold to you and me at retail prices.

I spend perhaps too much time reading the excellent and informative postings on the B&B forums -- yeah, I'm working on "getting a life" -- but in the meantime, I cannot help but notice the relative ease with which my fellow wet-shavers discuss and purchase shaving soaps and creams which are (to this reader's budget-sense) "stratospheric" in amount. Never mind the hundreds-of-dollars spent for shaving brushes, razors, and other "must haves".

Colleen's shaving soaps are powerful... not only do they make-ready my beard and face for the miracles of the SE or DE razor, but they also transport me to a place, be it geographic or imaginary, where shaving can be done as it has always been meant to be done... with a sense of calmness and serenity... for everything else, there's MasterCard.

In advance, please forgive my implicit assumption that you haven't tried the comparable glycerin-based shaving soaps from, say, "Em's Place". For my money (and I've purchased and used shaving soaps from both "Em's Place" and "TGC"), the quality of the lather, and most important, the lubricity of Colleen's shaving soaps, is head-and-shoulders above those from "Em's Place". WRT to the fragrances; here, too, Colleen's soaps are several "cuts above" those from "Em's Place".

At $8.95 for a 3" soap-round from Colleen (as opposed to $5.75 in the 2006 TGC price list), yes, it's a 50% price increase... one which reflects a one-person operation that includes research into scents and other ingredients, how those components work/don't-work together, development, testing, and packaging. What's more, Colleen Hurley and TGC are a solely shaving soap/cream-based enterprise, with no extra income generated via the reselling of other items purchased at wholesale prices, but sold to you and me at retail prices.

I spend perhaps too much time reading the excellent and informative postings on the B&B forums -- yeah, I'm working on "getting a life" -- but in the meantime, I cannot help but notice the relative ease with which my fellow wet-shavers discuss and purchase shaving soaps and creams which are (to this reader's budget-sense) "stratospheric" in amount. Never mind the hundreds-of-dollars spent for shaving brushes, razors, and other "must haves".

Colleen's shaving soaps are powerful... not only do they make-ready my beard and face for the miracles of the SE or DE razor, but they also transport me to a place, be it geographic or imaginary, where shaving can be done as it has always been meant to be done... with a sense of calmness and serenity... for everything else, there's MasterCard.

No forgiveness is necessary at all - you're quire right that I haven't tried Em's soaps (and felt no particular desire to, truth be told) and I agree wholeheartedly with you as to the unquestionable quality of Colleen's. They are absolutely fantastic and I regularly enjoy my own three rounds. My only dissatisfaction is with the disappearance of the bang-for-your-buck value that her soaps so tremendously provided.

So far, my experience with Colleen's soaps tell me that these shaving rounds will last longer than those of Mama Bears and Honeybee Sue's soaps (remember, I was an original test subject, so I've been using them for a while!). And would therefore be worth a bit more investment. I enjoy all of these soaps, and would also suggest that each one has their own list of pros and cons. I'll continue to use products from all three, and to enjoy them for their own benefits.

Randy

Good Morning Gentlemen,

It is a rare occassion when I cruise any other forums but have recently been encouraged to do so and I'm glad I did. I can see that the price increase of my shaving soaps has created a bit of a stir.

I will apologize for this as the fault lay with me. I should have spent more time here to discuss who I am, what I'm about and the quality of my soaps.

"Thank you" Randy for posting your review about the Desert Ironwood and JB...Thank you for your kind words.

Gentlemen, first off I'll say that the price increase was not taken lightly by me and was done after careful consideration of what I felt my product actually has to offer and based against the prices of my Fellow Soapmakers.

TGQ soaps are more expensive than some....but still less than others and this is the reason why.....

I started this endeavor well over a year ago so I can speak with great confidence about my shaving soaps and the shaving creams. There are many who know that I have sent out "endless" rounds of shaving soap "free of charge"...in most cases "free shipping" to boot. In exchange for advice from fellow shavers on what they wanted to see in a quality shaving soap and shaving cream. Over the course of time I have been stringent in my guidelines of what would be acceptable to ME in my soapmaking. The capital "me" may seem a bit odd, as shaving soap is all about YOU....:wink:

In the world of mass production, surfactants, chelators, synthetic foam enhancers, zero customer service and being nothing more than a number in a sea of numbers it was important to me to have a business that could offer some of the best quality shaving products available, priced competitively "within my market" and exceptional customer service. I am not the cheapest kid on the block anymore, I don't want to be. I believe there has been a misconception of my product due to the low price. (aka learning as I go...)

I kept my prices intentionally low as I did not feel it was ethically correct to charge a top shelf price for a product that was still under "review". This solved two problems for me, it generated an enormous amount of detailed conversations regarding what was necessary to put forth a Top Shelf product and kept the soaps very affordable for all to try them....time and again. Tested and used by Gents such as yourself who tell me, TGQ products are the best they've ever used.

I can say with complete confidence that I use the best quality shaving base available on the market today. You may rest assured that only the best "Aromatherapy" grade essential oils are used. Only the best Top Shelf cosmetic grade fragrance oils are used. You may rest assured that I use NO surfactants, chelators or synthetic foam enhancers, ....and no parabens.

You may also be assured that your 3" dia. X .75 inch thick round of shaving soap weighing a minimum of 3 oz. (most weigh at 3.2 - 3.5 oz. ) will last far longer than most shaving soaps currently available. So you get "More Bang for your Buck".....

For those of you who cannot afford a 3 oz. round, I have always made a 1 oz. size. I'm told they last about a month! and they're the perfect size for those of you who have scuttles. These are 2" dia. X .5 inch thick

To the practical end of things Quality ingredients are not cheap Gentlemen. Ha, Shipping costs! I have paid as much as $150.00 to have a case of material shipped to me :eek: but I paid it, because they assured me it was the best available. Pure essential oils are very expensive...a bottle of real Bay Pimento racemosa is over $38 for 4 oz. That's a half a cup..."choke" but I buy it because its the best.

It was important to ME in this venture to be able to step forward and say with Confidence that when you purchase something from me, it is the best I have to offer....because I wanted to be able to offer YOU the best at affordable competitive prices.

It would be my Pleasure to offer the first 10 Gentlemen who contact me at [email protected] and I'll send you samples "on the house" and I will include free shipping. (please be sure to note that you are from B&B)

This way you may compare my soaps to what you currently use and see for yourself.....

I appreciate your time in reading this lengthy novel and I await your consideration.

Warm Regards, Colleen
aka Soapmistress

Wayne, Thank you for the kind words.

Gentlemen there are 7 offers still open, you may contact me at my email address or send me a PM here. I'm busy working at the computer this morning so I'm close by.

I'll give an update as we go along and approach number 10.

Colleen

Good Afternoon Gents!

There are still 4 more openings for the offer of free samples, free shipping.

Each person will receive 2 small samples of shaving soap and one small sample tub of shaving cream.

The samples of shaving soap are 2" dia. X .25 thick....doesn't seem very big, but you'll get several shaves nontheless. Certainly enough to form a good opinion of the quality of shave provided.

The shaving creams come in a small .25 oz. pot & are enough to get 2 or 3 shaves.

At your Service, Gentlemen
Soapmistress

I would but I already have 3 creams and 1 soap lying around that were made by Colleen. The samples are top notch. You'll enjoy them.

Evenin Gents!

All the requests have now been filled.

I wanted to Thank Everyone who contacted me. I really appreciate your Interest and the opportunity to offer samples. I hope you will be pleased.

As always, I am open to suggestions or comments on improving the shaving soaps and creams, so after you've had a chance to use them for a few shaves.....everyone please feel free to post your comments.

XXWarm Regards, Colleen

Hi Colleen,
I'd seen quite a few discussions and descriptions of your soaps in other forums, and I'm glad to be a participant in your nice offer. Some of your scent selections really intrigue me, and the many reviews have all been very positive. So, looking forward to trying some new toys to feed my hab........oops, I mean "hobby".
Type at you soon, and thanks,
Martin

Top Bottom