What's new

How to get a Barber Shop Level Lather

My dad used Barbasol, so I never saw the finer points of making a high quality lather from soap. I've been slowly experimenting using bath soap and lately shaving soaps and I see an improvement in my lather, but I would like to get the experiences you gentlemen are having every single morning.

Are there any recommended resources for learning? I know about the geofatboy videos on YouTube but was curious if there is a good B&B thread about it.

I have some Clubman Pinaud and Cella to play around with and some Vitos on the way.

Many resources are available. Some of the best:

And Al’s @AimlessWanderer Journal is an excellent resource too.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

Guido

I've been slowly experimenting using bath soap and lately shaving soaps and I see an improvement in my lather…

Are there any recommended resources for learning? I know about the geofatboy videos on YouTube but was curious if there is a good B&B thread about it.

I have some Clubman Pinaud and Cella to play around with

Stop playing around with bath soap and practice with proper shave soap. One of the best/easiest to lather is Cella which you already own, so stick with that. For myself, when I use Cella (red) I pour a little warm water on top of the soap to let it bloom for a few minutes. Then pour the excess water out. Then remove my brush (Omega 10049 Boar) from its soak, let the water drip put, then swirl on top of the soap for a minute or so to load. Then move to a shave bowl to work up the lather. It may need to quickly dip the brush tips in water for a second or two, here and there as I work up a rich creamy lather. I recommend starting with a bowl instead of face lather to be able to see the progression of lather building. it can take lots of practice to get the hang of it (it did for me). Also, new/different soap require practice as each can be different. Sterling soap has a nice short youtube video which is perfect. No need to buy more soaps since you already have Cella and it is one of the easier ones to lather.

Here is a link to Sterling soap video on how to lather

Last edited:
Do whatever works for you. Something that works for me is just using the tips of the brush to make the lather. I don’t have to mash the brush in the bowl like the YouTube “experts” but, if you do, try finishing it off with just the tips. You might find that it helps to get rid of the bubbles.

The best resource is doing....and paying attention.
Work with one decent brush and one good shaving soap.
It's literally add-water-and-stir; so don't complicate it.
Water, soap, agitation, and goooooooo......
Its like asking how to cook pasta al dente...you get fifty different answers and nearly a civil war breaks out...

As you said wet brush, swirl around...

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just had barbershop lather copiously applied to the back of my neck when my barber cleaned me up with a shavette:

You need to buy a hot lather machine from a barber supply house and some of the special liquid soap for it. The lather will be hot, but very wet and no where near as airy as a bowl lather.

Top Bottom