What's new

When you absolutely, positively must have the best… (Warning: 60+ Pics)

Who really needs a watch that is water resistant 1,000 feet? Who really needs a car that can go over 240 miles per hour? Who really needs a boot that can withstand both fire and water? Who needs such durable items, built to withstand – and achieve such amazing feats?

Answer: The fine members of Badger & Blade – as we need a brush that is no shedshiester, isn’t going to crack down the handle, can withstand a few accidental drops, good performance with all types of products, a little bit of rough handling, a vigorous method shave every now and again, being boiled in water for say… oh…. 30 minutes – then plunged in cold water, being blasted with a 5,301 degree F MAPP gas torch, being frozen for several hours (wet so as to allow the knot to radically expand within the handle as the water turns to ice), and of course….. run over by a 3 ton 2007 GMC Yukon Denali.

Gentlemen… lets get ready to ruuuuuummmmmmbllllleee!

Test set #1 - Basic bristle/knot rigidity. A good brush should be able to take a good thrashing so in this set of tests, firstly - I firmly grab the bristle and twist it (both clockwise and counter-clockwise and pull on it as hard as I can so as to dislodge the knot from the handle, then I mash the hell out of it into the palm of my hand a few hundred times, then step on it with all of my weight to really squash the $%^$% out of the bristles.

full

full

full

full

Test Set #2 - Drop test. Every once in a blue moon, not matter how careful you are... you are going to drop your brush. Well.... not only do I drop it a few dozen times on concrete, I also throw it down (as you would spike a football) half a dozen times into the concrete...

full

full

But Joel! - What if you step on the brush multiple times, and really grind your foot into it - with shoes on when you happen to be shaving over concrete? Well fellas... I got ya covered...
full

full

full

full

full

full

Test set #3 - The Boil. Take brush... boil it for 30 minutes, then run cold water on it (so as to induce a crack in the handle or loosen the knot) Lastly grab hold of the hair and pull/twist the hell out of it - to attempt to rip the knot out....
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Test Set #4 - The freeze. Take wet brush - insert in freezer - water expands when it turns to ice = best way to pop the knot outta a brush and show weakness. Once out of the freezer - if the knot isn't popped out, pull like hell and see if you can rip it out....
full

full

full

The SOB is frozen solid - notice NO splaying when it is sitting on its bristles on hard granite?
full

full

full

full

full

Test Set #5 - So this brush is taking all of these beatings in stride... time to step it up a notch...

3 Ton 2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL (Notice the speck under the back right tire?)
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Nick and I pulled like all bloody hell - and not even a hair popped out....
full

Ahh - what the hell... this calls for a shave....
full

full

Test Set #6 - 5,301 degrees of love for several minutes :biggrin:
full

full

full

full

The Money Shot....
full

full

full

full

full

full

Hmmm.... looks too sexy not to use... just needs to be washed a little...
full

full

full

full

full

full

Still works/feels great...
full

full

All things considered... the damn thing still looks mighty damn good...
full

So there you have it....a good looking brush you KNOW can take an absurdly stupid amount of abuse, and still function beautifully - a brush you can comfortably method shave with, scrub the hell out of your face with, and all in all just beat the dickens out of... because you KNOW it can take much, MUCH worse with barely a hiccup. Sure - we know you don't live in Antarctica, and we know you aren't going to use your brush and leave it outside in the snow, and sure we know you don't plan on having your brush run over by the wifes kiddy wagon... but isn't it nice to know all of that - and a HELL of a lot more COULD happen and your beloved B&B brush(es) will still be truckin' along?

Any other brand of brush would have bowed out after the first few sets of tests.... where as with the B&B brush.... you KNOW you are getting quality and durability that even with unreasonable use... with outlive your grandkids.

Gentlemen.... enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy **** Joel... if I ever decide to get married, I want him to meet you first.... :w00t:

Um, I don't shave, but can I buy one of these.... holy moley... that is SEXY!

Excuse my english please.. ...

Oh yeah... and when joe blow talks about how great his new whiz bang brush is.... you can cooly say "Yeah - but can you run it over with a 3 ton truck and have it still work like new?" :lol:

Bad... ***..... Built B&B tough :biggrin:

Holy **** Joel... if I ever decide to get married, I want him to meet you first.... :w00t:

Um, I don't shave, but can I buy one of these.... holy moley... that is SEXY!

Excuse my english please.. ...

Funny you should ask.... i've got one for sale I can make you a great deal on... but I forewarn you... its got a little chip in it :biggrin:

Oh yeah... and when joe blow talks about how great his new whiz bang brush is.... you can cooly say "Yeah - but can you run it over with a 3 ton truck and have it still work like new?" :lol:

Bad... ***..... Built B&B tough :biggrin:

Well, I think that takes care of it... I will not date again without your prior approval.. I know nothing about trucks and blow torches and getting booted.... :thumbup1:

Wow Joel... If I can find a man that would live through your testing, I will marry him.

Funny you should ask.... i've got one for sale I can make you a great deal on... but I forewarn you... its got a little chip in it :biggrin:

The chinese say a masterpiece will always have at least one flaw.... :closedeye

Confucious say, Super Glue Womans best friend...

Wow, I was planning to get two; one for myself and one tucked away for my son (who should be shaving in about 15 years), but now that I know they are so durable, I'll just use both of them for myself until he's ready!

Sure, the brush works just fine, but now there's a clunking noise coming from the back right side of the Yukon. :blink:

:biggrin:

-Nick

Awesome brush. I'll have fond memories of my Shavemac....

But those pictures are going to suck some huge bandwidth. 250-300kb a pop and this thread will probably be viewed a few thousand times by Christmas. I converted one and got it from 278kb to 23kb. Quality is still good. Might save you guys a few gigabytes of throughput.

Awesome brush. I'll have fond memories of my Shavemac....

But those pictures are going to suck some huge bandwidth. 250-300kb a pop and this thread will probably be viewed a few thousand times by Christmas. I converted one and got it from 278kb to 23kb. Quality is still good. Might save you guys a few gigabytes of throughput.

SA,

While we do already use over a hundred gigs a month, believe me, since we have our own server, we get quite a bit more than what we're using. Our bandwidth ain't like some fancy Cingular rollover minutes either. If we don't use it, we lose it. :wink:

-Nick

ETA: On the other hand, shrinking the file size might be more friendly for our bretheren stuck in the 1990s with dial up. :biggrin:

-Nick

We'll give the "Finest Silvertip" one more chance (with its decreased loft and radically increased density) and if it doesn't "walk the walk" so to speak - we'll switch it to the standard silvertip, as regardless of the silly name/title thus far the "Silvertip" has outshined the "Finest Silvertip" - so apparently it isn't so fine

I may have missed it somewhere but were those test pictures of the reworked Finest or the Standard silvertip?

Joel,

This brush aint worth a penny if it doesn't survive a bath in sulfuric acid; why didn't you test this??

Peter

Top Bottom