What's new

ZIP drives?

It was most about securing storage to be able to transfer it to another machine years ago... Usb flashdrives are also a good Idea.. But if you are backing up many gigs of data online secure backup might be a better Idea... Some usb drives tend to get bad sectors in them which renders them useless

QUOTE=DBlair;3563787]Perhaps zip drives are the next great fashion accessory from yesteryear? lol[/QUOTE]

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Zip drives? I keep mine in my shed, the one shingled with floppy disks.

Haha, just got a couple that someone gave me for free, they are still selling them on Amazon for $100, I was just curious.

Legion

Staff member
Haha, just got a couple that someone gave me for free, they are still selling them on Amazon for $100, I was just curious.

Hey, I've got a Commodore 64 floppy drive which I am going to stick on the bay when I get time. Keep the Zips for long enough, they will probably become collectable. Not quite yet, though.

Yeah right, I wish I still had my Tandy Color Computer II, total classic with tape drive and dial up modem, I was on the web before it was the web!

Yeah right, I wish I still had my Tandy Color Computer II, total classic with tape drive and dial up modem, I was on the web before it was the web!
Yup... Fidonet, UUCP, Compuserve....

I ran Colossus Galactica Fidonet 1:103/307, then after I moved I became 1:103/704

I think I might still have a copy of OS/2 Warp, if you need drivers to read. :lol:

But seriously unless you have old archives to recover I would not bother. But goes to show how quickly a long term storage format can become obsolete.

I think I might still have a copy of OS/2 Warp, if you need drivers to read. :lol:
Yikes.

My boss considered it when our server crashed.
He decided against it when I told him it wouldn't support Arcnet and he let me reinstall Netware.
BTW: I was a DOS guy and couldn't figure out why CNTs and CNEs got paid so much... I spent 2 hours scanning the manual and did the ground-up installation on my own.
We had to call Novelle because there was one print driver that we needed that was lost in the crash.
$400 for the guy to bring a floppy to our office and install it.

I never got into Zip drives when they were popular. I just kept using the tape drive until writeable CDs came along.

Haven't used a ZIP in years, I have a 16Gb thumbdrive, but with 32Gb in my phone, I just Bluetooth back and forth, don't even have to plug anything in.

My old computer still has a zip drive, and the computer still boots and is "usable" in a marginal sense that a dual Pentium pro 200mhz would have...no I have not checked if the drive still works, and no I am not aware of where any disks for it are.

Not quite sure why I still am holding onto the old beast of a machine...really.

Phil

Zip drives? I keep mine in my shed, the one shingled with floppy disks.

:lol: I would love to see that! My Dad gave the zip discs a try when they were popular. I remember each of our computers having the applicable cables so we could share it. I had one disc with essays/homework on it. I also got to use a university computer lab in highschool that was set up with a Jazz and Zip drive for each pc in the computer lab. Whoa, high tech! Who knows, maybe they will have a resurgence in the same way old Nintendo carts are popular again...

Top Bottom