What's new

ZIP drives?

They are not allowed in the building where I work so slowly but surely I stopped using them at all.

Yes, I had never heard of a JAZ drive but I looked them up and they look the same as a ZIP drive, are these still popular? $images.jpeg

These have been pretty "old tech" since late 1990's and early 2000's... Other problems is limited storage for most people... www.carbonite.com
Cheap and VERY secure online backup and very easy to use... Also checks for duplicate files

I haven't used one in years. Flash drives and external hard drives are all I use. I used to use a ZIP drive years ago.

Ya... Used ZIP drives back in the days when a 400 meg hard drive was really, really big.

Now I carry 8 gig on my keychain.... I have no use for high capacity magnetic media.

Storage space is cheap these days. When Zip and Jazz drives were in use I had a 56k connection. Now I have something crazy and its nothing to download what would have filled up 20 zip drives.

Legion

Staff member
Burnable CD's killed them off. I use to have a bunch of my Uni projects on zip disks somewhere... No way to read them, though. They were expensive at the time, too. At least for a poor student.

Wow, I used to take these to the local computer flea market (First Saturday) and couldn't get rid of them. Eventually dumped a ton of them on one guy for almost nothing. Think I even threw some away.

I bought my first one to backup my 750MB hard drive (couldn't imagine why I'd ever use 1GB...LOL)

I used to have one of those when I was in high school but very soon after that the thumb drive came out and ZIP/JAZZ was dead. My mom still uses one I think for her old MAC but they are pretty obsolete technology.

They were big in the publishing industry and (nascent) GIS community 'round here. At one point I was the only seller in Adelaide and couldn't get disks or drives fast enough. Ah, the happy, innocent and lucrative days of the computer industry in the late 90s :001_smile

I've got a dozen or so discs on the workshop shelf along with a few drives (IDE, parallel and, possibly working a SCSI!), half dozen Jazz cartridges, a couple of Jazz drives (one not working, one maybe), three different SyQuest drives, a superfloppy or two and an 800Mb parallel port Back Pack drive (anyone else remember those ***?).

I think tomorrow I'll toss the lot. They were useful for a while 'cause people would turn up with cartridges with critical data and a dead drive and we charged them out the proverbial for recovery. The last time one got used was about 4 years ago to recover an enrolment database from a dead Power Mac. Please tell me you want them desperately :)lol:) and I'll ship them off to you ASAP.

Oh, and they were made by Iomega (the first instance of slapping an "i" in front of your name in an attempt to look high tech?). From memory, Imation bought the listing ship that was Syquest, the major competition, just before it sank without trace.

Were zip disks and zip drives considered to be fashionable at one point? I mean, why is this post in the haberdashery?

I suppose you could link a bunch of the disks together to make a natty vest or cummerbund if you will...

I remember once upon a time having a zip drive (early to mid 1990s?), but now tend to use flash drives (I think these are also called jump drives?) and external hard drives for portable storage.

The convenience of a flash drive being small and yet holding ~8GB of data makes it nice for students or other people on the go, and often seems to find its way on onto key chains, etc. External hard drives are also available quite small (some around the size of a blackberry or iPhone) and so they can still easily fit in a bag/briefcase or otherwise transported with ease for those larger storage needs.

I haven't yet embraced the cloud storage idea, as I feel hesitant when it comes to security and other such issues, but then again, maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Were zip disks and zip drives considered to be fashionable at one point? I mean, why is this post in the haberdashery?

I suppose you could link a bunch of the disks together to make a natty vest or cummerbund if you will...

Perhaps zip drives are the next great fashion accessory from yesteryear? lol

Yes, at one point if you didn't have a ZIP or JAZ drive you were double plus uncool.

Top Bottom