What's new

ZIP drives?

There isn't much need for those, now that you can have 8 gigs on a keychain that fits into any USB outlet on any computer anywhere. That said, I've seen them in my office, so we must have a computer that uses them, somewhere.

There isn't much need for those, now that you can have 8 gigs on a keychain that fits into any USB outlet on any computer anywhere. That said, I've seen them in my office, so we must have a computer that uses them, somewhere.
Likely that old DOS machine that doesn't have a USB port :wink:

My first computer was a KayPro II. I was a junior in college and it was $2000.

proxy.php

:ohmy: I must be ancient. I remember when the Commodore VIC-20 was used in the first computer class in my high school my Senior Year!
I got that beat.

TRS-80 Model-1 in the electronics lab.
Math analysis was a Wang... no keyboard, no monitor.
It was a card reader and a printer. The entire system was the size of a sofa and love seat set.

Yeah right, I wish I still had my Tandy Color Computer II, total classic with tape drive and dial up modem, I was on the web before it was the web!

I never had the II... I had the color computer 1, took the 16K chips out, replaced the 4k chips in my Tandy Model 1 computer, put in a set of 32K chips in the Color Computer, then pigg-back soldered a 2nd bank of 32 K ram chips to the existing 32, ran a a daisy-chain of wire to the appropriate pin on the CPU, cut a couple of tracers on the motherboard and had a model 1 with 64K of RAM... the CC-2 only had 32K available as it came from Tandy... I also pieced together a monochrome video card from parts and soldered it into the color computer 1, and ran my monitor from my Tandy Model 1 computer on the color computer. You could get really nice 132 column display out of the color computer when running OS/9. (A unix-like enviroment - long before Linux was on the scene.) Under OS/9, I even had an old teletype terminal hooked up to the computer's serial port, and could log in under 2 separate sessions. Both my college roommate and I could write papers at at the same time on my computer in the dorm room, then use the teletype terminal to print out the final reports. All in 64K of ram, with an 8 bit CPU running at 1 Mhz... Those were the days!

I also had an after-market "Disk expansion interface" that allowed me to run 2 dobule-sided 80 track floppy drives, giving me around 1.4 MB of storage on the system... I was in hog-heaven when the color computer III came out and I was able to run a whole 512K RAM on the system!

I even wrote a BBS system in OS/9's BASIC/PASCAL hybrid, and ran a BBS when I lived in Louisiana, transferring messages via UUNET... I had about 40 or 50 people who would dial-up daily to send/receive "email"... I even remember the name of the BBS - and it was published in the phone book at the time - "The Wrong Number" LOL

I wish I still had the phone book with the entry "Wrong Number, The" in it... :(

Last edited:
My COCO II had been modified by it's original owner also it had 128K of ram which at the time was pretty badass, I think the only other 128K was the Commodore which at the time was my dream computer :001_rolle, my how times change :lol: I can still remember my favorite games for the COCO II it was a cartridge game called Dungeons of dragoth, I can still remember pounding the keyboard with a key sequence to kill the stone giants :lol: ahhh the good ol' days.

Top Bottom