What's new

Zenith, A Horse of a Different Color!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just for the record I don't know anything about horsehair brushes. I know a little something about my one horsehair brush but maybe it's unusual.

5-28-19.Zenith.HorseHair.507N:BR XS.640.JPG

@Chan Eil Whiskers

What is your opinion on the horse brush? Do you see yourself getting other horse brushes? How does it compare to your boars?

Not too long ago I thought anyone using a horsehair brush was ignorant. Everybody said horsehair brushes tangle like crazy.

upload_2019-5-29_15-5-43-jpeg.985393

There's even a thread on how to untangle horsehair brushes.

I think the easiest way to untangle it is to put it in the trash can. I have never understood why people like a brush that can tangle up as one of its qualities.

This is my very favorite piece-of-advice posting because it sums up what seems to be generally believed about horsehair brushes.

The have limited appeal because they tangle, they shed, and they do nothing that a good badger brush can’t do better.

People say.
  • They're floppy.
  • They have no backbone.
  • They are worse than anything if you swirl on the puck, or swirl in a bowl, or face-lather.
  • They shed.
  • They tangle.
  • They get knots in the knot.
  • Worse, they smell bad!
  • They're sort of between boars and badgers but more floppy than either and not soft.
Why bother with a horsehair brush?

anthrax_cutaneous_high-cv.jpg

Not to mention Anthrax!

No, I'm not kidding about Anthrax.
Here's a link.

Pet Comb for shaving brushes. 480.png

The good thing was I already had a very nice pet comb for brushes. Tangles would flee when I carried this baby from China which cost me $1.67 including shipping. Stainless steel it is. Click it.

proxy.php

Sometime in May I read a post which convinced me the Zenith extra soft horsehair brush might be worth a spin. I've looked for the post, but can't find it, and apologize to the member for not crediting him here.

I ordered my Zenith from Spain after deciding on a handle shape I'd been wanting to try.

5-29-19.Kukri-off-DCA.Kit.HorseHair.640.JPG

The knot in real life is black and goes great with the beautiful ergonomic handle. It might be my favorite handle.

I've found the knot to be amazingly fun to use and loaded with paradox. It is floppy, but somehow it has a lot of scrub when I mash it into my face. Swirled on the puck it doesn't look like it's picking up much soap, but it lathers like crazy. It's great for painting, but it's also wonderful splayed to make lather foamy and creamy. It'll hold a lot of water, but releases water perfectly. It is very much a lather monster, but not a lather hog.

It also has a little bit of what I call good scritch, but that disappears when I mash the brush into my skin. I do not baby the brush at all. Actually, I'm hard on it like I am with all brushes; it is dried by mashing it into a towel in the same way I dry all brushes, etc.

Yes, my brush smelled a little funky before I washed it once or twice. Big deal? Not at all.

Zenith.Copper.boar.Manchurian.2.640.7-14-18.JPG

Will the Zenith extra soft horsehair brush replace my boars and badgers? No. It is simply another option, but it's an option I like a lot. In fact, I'm finding myself reaching for it much too often for the good of my rotation. In other words, it has very quickly found a place in the small group of brushes I most favor.

Perhaps I'll buy another horse, but why? It would be simply out of curiosity or to get a better handle. I don't think there is a better handle and I'm not curious about other horses. The one I have would be very hard to beat I think so why bother?

I might perhaps consider a Zenith horse in a copper handle to go with my boar and Manchurian, but that would not be because that's a favorite handle. It's not. I like the copper handle fine, but I like the black handle on the horse better.

6-26-19.Wade.Kit.Off-Pastes.640.JPG

Are all horsehair brushes as great as mine? I doubt it. Very seriously doubt it. Gentlemen writing negative things about horse brushes are not getting paid to badmouth them!

upload_2019-6-26_22-13-23.jpeg

I'm going to hold my breath until Zenith sends me a nice fat check for my review.

Once again, my entire experience with horsehair brushes is limited to one Zenith brush, but you asked a question. Perhaps other guys who know something about horsehair brushes, particularly these Zeniths, will chime in.

I'll be happy to tell you more, but I'm not sure what else there it. It's a good brush, but I'm not saying anyone needs one. You know me. I'm into brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

People used to say synthetics were bad especially those die hard badger fan boys. Now manufacturers probably sell more synthetics than animal brushes.

My experience with horse hair brushes is only with Vie Long 12705. It's a short stubby brush that I was real excited to get. Unfortunately, the horse hair was one of the scritchiest brush that I own. I hand lathered that beast more than 20 times and it just won't break in. It keeps that initial boar-like scritch everytime I shave with it.

That said, your Zenith horse hair brush looks a lot nicer and probably performs a lot better as well. Great looking brush you got there. Keep it untangled and it'll last for a long time!

Excellent review. I was ogling the M7 olive handle horse multiple times. It gives me those siren lure calls when I look at it. :ihih:

I believe it was @Polarbeard who advocated giving Zenith Stallion Extra Soft brushes a chance.

Just for the record I don't know anything about horsehair brushes. I know a little something about my one horsehair brush but maybe it's unusual.

View attachment 994121

Not too long ago I thought anyone using a horsehair brush was ignorant. Everybody said horsehair brushes tangle like crazy.

This is my very favorite piece-of-advice posting because it sums up what seems to be generally believed about horsehair brushes.

People say.
  • They're floppy.
  • They have no backbone.
  • They are worse than anything if you swirl on the puck, or swirl in a bowl, or face-lather.
  • They shed.
  • They tangle.
  • Worse, they smell bad!
  • They're sort of between boars and badgers but more floppy than either and not soft.

View attachment 994132

Not to mention Anthrax!

Here's a link.

View attachment 994145

The good thing was I already had a very nice pet comb for brushes. Tangles would flee when I carried this baby from China which cost me $1.67 including shipping. Stainless steel it is. Click it.

proxy.php

Sometime in May I read a post which convinced me the Zenith extra soft horsehair brush might be worth a spin. I've looked for the post, but can't find it, and apologize to the member for not crediting him here.

I ordered my Zenith from Spain after deciding on a handle shape I'd been wanting to try.

View attachment 994135

The knot in real life is black and goes great with the beautiful ergonomic handle. It might be my favorite handle.

I've found the knot to be amazingly fun to use and loaded with paradox. It is floppy, but somehow it has a lot of scrub when I mash it into my face. Swirled on the puck it doesn't look like it's picking up much soap, but it lathers like crazy. It's great for painting, but it's also wonderful splayed to make lather foamy and creamy. It'll hold a lot of water, but releases water perfectly. It is very much a lather monster, but not a lather hog.

It also has a little bit of what I call good scritch, but that disappears when I mash the brush into my skin. I do not baby the brush at all. Actually, I'm hard on it like I am with all brushes; it is dried by mashing it into a towel in the same way I dry all brushes, etc.

Yes, my brush smelled a little funky before I washed it once or twice. Big deal? Not at all.

View attachment 994137

Will the Zenith extra soft horsehair brush replace my boars and badgers? No. It is simply another option, but it's an option I like a lot. In fact, I'm finding myself reaching for it much too often for the good of my rotation. In other words, it has very quickly found a place in the small group of brushes I most favor.

Perhaps I'll buy another horse, but why? It would be simply out of curiosity or to get a better handle. I don't think there is a better handle and I'm not curious about other horses. The one I have would be very hard to beat I think so why bother?

I might perhaps consider a Zenith horse in a copper handle to go with my boar and Manchurian, but that would not be because that's a favorite handle. It's not. I like the copper handle fine, but I like the black handle on the horse better.

View attachment 994140

Are all horsehair brushes as great as mine? I doubt it. Very seriously doubt it. Gentlemen writing negative things about horse brushes are not getting paid to badmouth them!

View attachment 994144

I'm going to hold my breath until Zenith sends me a nice fat check for my review.

Once again, my entire experience with horsehair brushes is limited to one Zenith brush, but you asked a question. Perhaps other guys who know something about horsehair brushes, particularly these Zeniths, will chime in.

I'll be happy to tell you more, but I'm not sure what else there it. It's a good brush, but I'm not saying anyone needs one. You know me. I'm into brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Heya Jim, be happy if they offer you a small discount lol.

That's a great review and a really cool brush.

My only horse has 75% porcupine needle hairs and only suitable for bowl lathering lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

View attachment 994121

People say.
  • They're floppy.
  • They have no backbone.
  • They shed.
  • They tangle.
  • Worse, they smell bad!

View attachment 994132

Not to mention Anthrax!

Here's a link.

View attachment 994145

proxy.php

View attachment 994135

View attachment 994137

View attachment 994140

View attachment 994144

Happy shaves,

Jim

Great review!! :a29::a29:

You, Sir, have an open mind!! After listing all the horse hair cons, you tried the brush to find the pros!!

People used to say synthetics were bad especially those die hard badger fan boys. Now manufacturers probably sell more synthetics than animal brushes.
synthetics used to be really bad. They've improved dramatically over the past few years. The old ones were like trying to build up lather with a toothbrush.

%+2wOSPXQZe+vA8Mz2Qz9Q.jpg
Four horsehair brushes, three Zeniths and one Vie Long. While Vie Long is viewed as the benchmark for horse hair brushes, in my opinion Zeniths are superior by far. If you order from the factory, they will put horse hair on any of their multiple handles. I have never experienced tangling or shedding with my Zeniths. Check my avatar.

I got mine;
Did a first test lather twice off of an Arko puck. I'm not going to lie, the lather was a dark brown the first lather. The immediate second lather was nice, white, and silky in the bowl. It's different. I like it and it is in my rotation.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I got mine;
Did a first test lather twice off of an Arko puck. I'm not going to lie, the lather was a dark brown the first lather. The immediate second lather was nice, white, and silky in the bowl. It's different. I like it and it is in my rotation.

I washed mine a time or three before using it. That got rid of most of the horse smell and probably whatever made the lather brown.

I'm glad you like yours. The photo doesn't show the copper color but the box says yours is copper. It will tarnish (which I like) or can be easily kept tarnish free with minimal polishing.

It's definitely different.

I washed mine a time or three before using it. That got rid of most of the horse smell and probably whatever made the lather brown.

I'm glad you like yours. The photo doesn't show the copper color but the box says yours is copper. It will tarnish (which I like) or can be easily kept tarnish free with minimal polishing.

It's definitely different.
As you can tell I am not a photography expert. In fact, I'm pretty sure I suck at photography. I'll take about four photos before I finally get something in focus. Anyway, yeah, it's starting to tarnish and it looks gorgeous.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As you can tell I am not a photography expert. In fact, I'm pretty sure I suck at photography. I'll take about four photos before I finally get something in focus. Anyway, yeah, it's starting to tarnish and it looks gorgeous.

I'm a terrible photographer, but bought a cheap light box which made a huge difference.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
PhotoLightBox.3-18.JPG

LightBoxSide.JPG LightBoxTop.3-18.JPG

It's big enough for a SOTD picture and really makes things go much better for me, but many guys are simply more artistic than me. There's not much help for my lack of talent, but I try to compensate enough to get by.

Excellent review. I was ogling the M7 olive handle horse multiple times. It gives me those siren lure calls when I look at it. :ihih:

I believe it was @Polarbeard who advocated giving Zenith Stallion Extra Soft brushes a chance.
Guilty as charged.
Comparing a Zenith horse brush with one made by Vie Long its like comparing a Mercedes Benz with a rusty moped. I find my Vie Long brushes to be an insult to horses.

I have two Vie Long brushes. They do require detangling from time to time. I have posted about ways to do this, so I won't repeat it hear.

There are generally two types of horsehair brushes: those made with 50% mane hair and 50% tail hair and those that are 35% mane/65% tail. The 50/50 brushes are softer.

I have not tried a Zenith brush, but based on the strength of your review, I might have to try one, even though my brush shelves are already overcrowded.

For those concerned about anthrax, do not be. That issue dates back to World WAR I when brushes were not sanitized. About 250 US and British soldiers were affected. It will not be an issue today. Back then, there were no antibiotics that could be used to treat anthrax. Penicillin can be used to treat anthrax; even penicillin resistant strains can be treated with ciprofloxacin. I understand that the US government stockpiles cipro in the event of an anthrax bio terrorism event.

Top Bottom