What's new

Zamak- Should I care?

Whether I had a plated brass or a plated zamak razor, the truth be told is that I would toss it and get a new one if the plating were to deteriorate, given that replating is an expensive proposition. This of course assumes no manufacturing defect, in which case the manufacturer should stand by its product, and also that the razor is of the more standard production type, such as a Merkur, EJ, Muhle or Fatip, as opposed to a luxury razor, which would likely be stainless steel or some other unplated metal in any event. If I am not off on this, then the quality of the plating is far more important than the composition of the base metal. In which case, is zamak really something to focus on?

Only if you're a bit obsessive, and want to be absolutely confident your razor will probably last a lot longer than you do. Nobody on B&B like is like that, of course. :001_tt2:

I have several zamak razors including the Progress, 34C and two slants. Doesn't bother me in the least. That said, the vast majority of my shaves are with vintage razors, but that is not related to construction, but rather performance.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have too many zamak razors for one to have time to rot. That said, I have ONE razor stand - the same pot metal one from Amazon that 90% of everybody has. The stand started to rot after only 2 years of wet brushes and razors ... Looking for a wood or plastic one now.

AA

Only if you're a bit obsessive, and want to be absolutely confident your razor will probably last a lot longer than you do. Nobody on B&B like is like that, of course. :001_tt2:

Thanks CS. Obsession vs. practicality - I wouldn't keep a razor whose plating is detiorating in my regular rotation. :sod:

And seems to me that if legacy is an issue, a stainless razor would far better suit. I own two, so far. Ah, the wonders of RAD.

Last edited:
I have too many zamak razors for one to have time to rot. That said, I have ONE razor stand - the same pot metal one from Amazon that 90% of everybody has. The stand started to rot after only 2 years of wet brushes and razors ... Looking for a wood or plastic one now.

AA

Those stands are known for the quality of their plating!

I just recently got an unobtanium- Krect and won the bid primarily because a lot of the plating had flaked off and most was down to the zamak. In this case, it did matter, but what could I do since it hasn't been made in a while. I got it for what it was. I sent if off to be coated since no one would replate zamak. Hopefully with a layer of Gunkote on it, it'll last longer and look better.

Or if you're like me, a klutzy shower shaver. In the last eight months, I've dropped three razors. The brass Slim and the all-steel Fendrihan both survived the five foot drop to the tile floor of the shower. The zamak Merkur didn't. The post broke off the cap. OTOH, it might have survived a two foot fall to a Corian vanity.

Or if you're like me, a klutzy shower shaver. In the last eight months, I've dropped three razors. The brass Slim and the all-steel Fendrihan both survived the five foot drop to the tile floor of the shower. The zamak Merkur didn't. The post broke off the cap. OTOH, it might have survived a two foot fall to a Corian vanity.

The Fendrihan is a great razor, and stainless for the price of a 34C.

I just recently got an unobtanium- Krect and won the bid primarily because a lot of the plating had flaked off and most was down to the zamak. In this case, it did matter, but what could I do since it hasn't been made in a while. I got it for what it was. I sent if off to be coated since no one would replate zamak. Hopefully with a layer of Gunkote on it, it'll last longer and look better.

Curious, why can't zamak be replated?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Zamak-Schmamak! I don't care what a razor is made of if I like it. If I like it I want it to last at least as long as I do. When I'm dead I won't have a need for it. Once the chrome is compromised on a zamak the integrity of the razor itself becomes compromised. Once the plating wears off of brass the plating has simply worn off. The integrity of the razor has not been compromised and will function as intended. You just have to be smart about things to minimize ocd. Yes, you can simply order a new zamak, or you can keep spare heads lying about for a fraction of the cost. If a razor head goes south simply swap out the head with zero down time. If you wouldn't shave with a Fatip with worn plating make sure you get a nickel plated one. It will most likely last longer than chrome, or gunmetal, on brass. There are things we can do to minimize headaches, stress, and worry, about our tools. For me, on a zamak, I would toss the head and swap it out. If the plating wears off of brass I would just shave on. I wouldn't throw it away as it is still fully functional. I'm kind of old school about throwing stuff out that still works. That's just me, but we all have to do what we have to for peace of mind individually. :001_smile

Last edited:
I have never had a failure of a Zamak razor. I expect I would toss it if I did and replace it if I liked it well enough with the same item. Life is too short to obsess over what a company makes their razors out of. The performance is what sells the razor for me.

You're welcome.

This post has been very informative for me, especially about vintage Merkurs, though it hasn't changed my mind on this topic. On the other hand, all the anti-zamak enablers just spuured me to buy my first aluminum razor. Thanks a lot. :001_tt2: Btw, WCS has a pretty good special on for Standard Razors until April 11.

Just don't shave in the shower.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've got Merkurs, Apollos, many others from before WWII that are zamak and they haven't deteriorated, fell apart. Much ado about nothing IMHO.

Top Bottom