What's new

Ysl m7

Wow, just received this - twas a blind buy...May have been a bad idea as I'm not sure I could wear it in public. After about 1/2 hr, it's still very powdery, almost seems like a female fragrance. Anyone else have experience with this one?

Oh well, live and learn, should have sampled before I bought...

Steve

It's a pretty well regarded men's frag, but if you don't like it, you don't like it.

It's theoretically the frag that introduced the use of oud wood as a note to "western" perfume.

I haven't used, but have given it a quick sniff. I didn't find it feminine.
But you have your own tastes.

I put a squirt on from duty free while waiting at the Paris Airport. Smelled like campfire smoke to me. not my cuppa

Hey Stylin, I definitely respect your opinion as you have much more experience than me with fragrances...I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and see how it wears on me at work. This is strong stuff, probably one spray will be more than enough..Thanks for the comments..

Steve

Well, depending on how I feel about it after tomorrow, this may be your chance :001_smile

Seems very powdery to me so far..been on for about 2 hrs now...This is definitely one that would be easy to overdo..one spray would be more than enough.

Steve

I have and am very fond of the M7 Fresh. Been itching to get a bottle of the regular M7.

I always need to wrangle a frag a bit. Especially have to watch out for the initial reaction. All frags have "top notes" that are the dominant smell when you first put it on that linger for a few minutes or a bit longer.

It takes wearing for awhile for the scent to "dry down" and reveal the true character you'll be left with for most of the day.

I can be guilty as any of "snap judging" based on top notes at times. But that's why there is such a "get a sample" mantra here and at Basenotes.

It usually takes me a couple of wearings to really "get" a fragrance.

But oud is kind of odd scent. You may not like it.

The first half hour of M7 makes me want to gag - it's like I'm covered in disgusting, thick cough syrup. After that, however, it dries down into a very warm, masculine base. I don't know that I'd wear it during the day, but it's a nice one for cold nights out on the town.

I haven't used it, but it does seem like an interesting fragrance. It looks like Tom Ford commissioned it as well as this (edited) ad, which i got a kick out of.

proxy.php

I don't find it powdery or feminine at all, for a minute there I almost thought you had it confused with Dior Homme as many people find that to be feminine and powdery.

I bought it early on in my collecting days because it was pretty unique and I thought I'd eventually take a liking to it. I think I actually bought it blind, now that I think about it.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but after establishing my own personal tastes in fragrance, this is something that I'd probably never wear. Worth a sniff.

Since then, the whole oud thing has been played to death (and is still going) and I've experienced quite a few other ouds. This one is among my least favorite. It's got tons of character, especially as far as designer scents go, but I guess it's just not my cup of tea. Or I suppose it smells quite a bit more like cough syrup.

I bought it blind too. I wear it occasionally in the winter.
It's not a go-to for me, I definately have to be in the mood for it. Quite strong. One spray is all I can handle.
Reminds me of potpourri.

Top Bottom