What's new

YSL L'Homme Libre

Hey guys. I've been wet shaving for about 3 months. This journey has me now smelling everything. Well at my local Drug Emporium i was sampling EdT's. I fell in love with Libre immediately.

I was just curious what B&B thought about it, maybe comment on if you like this you might like _______.

I own the 100 ml EDT version, and it's a nice subtle, but IMHO boring release from YSL.
It lacks balls and the smell is IMHO too subtle and I get max 5-6 hours longevity from Libre and spotty projection.

Will NOT repruchase this.

I own YSL L'Homme, and it has the same poor longevity and projection, but IMHO the scent is FAR better made.
I also own YSL la Nuit de L'Homme EDT and EDP versions, and these have very good longevity and projection on my skin and are far more interesting daring scents.

L'Homme Libre is the perfect office scent - it's subtle, non offensive, boring and sort of characterless - it's a nice starter fragrance for a beginner or a person, who is allergic to strong fragrances.

Just my honest 2 cents on L'Homme Libre :a39:

Thanks for an honest reply! I was hoping someone would have something to say about it.

Alas, i am a newbie when it comes to decants/fragrances/EdT. I had ordered 3 samples on ebay for $8. But for some reason i wasnt comfortable buying more. My girlfriend likes it, but im pretty sure ill find something else she loves.

I just ordered a sample of Windsor EdT from Garry. Im excited for it, i love windsor.

I enjoyed L'Homme Libre quite a bit, except I also had longevity and projection issues with it so I can't justify a purchase. Good scent, though, IMHO

Well half of that was shipping. It wasn't so i could just smell it. I just wanted to wear it a handful of times.

I sniffed it at Sephora this past weekend and it smelled pretty good to me on paper. If you happen to have a Sephora nearby, they will happily make you some free samples of whatever they have in stock.

Look, maybe I was a bit harsh and too honest.

I'm very much into fragrances and as said, L'Homme Libre is a very nice starting out fragrance and probably also nice to people who digust strong spicy fragrances and just want something that smells nice, fresh while still having some soul to it.

It's just that I'm a huge YSL fragrance fan - that is fan of the old classics, Rive Gauche, Kouros, Body Kouros, Pour Homme Concenteée, Live Jazz, Opium and I also honestly think L'Homme is a very well made fragrance, but with longevity issues on most peoples skin.
La Nuit solver that problem, the darker flanker to L'Homme - but this is more of a night time fragrance according to some, where L'Homme is the perfect day time office fragrance.

So I would dump Libre and get the original instead - L'Homme.

With that said, L'Homme Libre is a nice ginger smelling fragrance, but it's no more than nice, it lacks some uuuummmppphhhhh and balls and courage.
Still as an office fragrance Libre will work well if you're the type of guy that just want to smell nice for the first 4-5 hours of a work day and after that is fine with only a skin scent of it........until it disappears completely after 6-7-8 hours......

I would rate it 6/10 overall - not bad, but only juuuust bottle worthy IMHO
I would rate L'Homme 8/10 and La Nuit 8.5/10

If I was to recommend you some alternatives to Libre, in the same genre, that IMHO smells FAR better, you could consider these:

1. Chanel Platinum Egoiste
2. Burberry For Men
3. Paco Rabanne XS
4. Creed Himalaya
5. Creed Green Irish Tweed
6. Creed Aventus
7. Bond No. 9 Chez Bond
8. Bleu de Chanel
9. Eau de Cartier Concentrée (Has to be the Concentrée version, it's very close to Libre, but better and far stronger)
10. Creed Silver Mountain Water
11. Dolce & Gabbana The One
12. Frapin 1270
13. Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
14. Frapin L'Humaniste
15. Dior Homme Sport

All these 15 frags are in the same genre as L'Homme Libre, but IMHO all FAR better made.

I appreciate your response man. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

Its funny you mentioned kouros. Its first on my decants to try list.

As far as longevity goes, whats the longest lasting scent youve encountered?

I wasnt too fond of the basic L'homme. My next favorite i smelled at that particular store was perry ellis 360 white.

I appreciate your response man. Thats exactly what i was looking for.

Its funny you mentioned kouros. Its first on my decants to try list.

As far as longevity goes, whats the longest lasting scent youve encountered?

I wasnt too fond of the basic L'homme. My next favorite i smelled at that particular store was perry ellis 360 white.

Longest lasting for me:

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille 14-18 hours
Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan 12-14 hours
YSL Kouros 12-14 hours
YSL La Nuit de L'Homme EDP 12-14 hours
YSL Opium EDT 10-12 hours
Dior Homme Intense 10-12 hours
Van Cleef & Arpel Midnight in Paris EDP 10-12 hours
Chanel Antaues 10-12 hours
JPG Le Male 10-12 hours
Dior Fahrenheit 10-12 hours
Paco Rabanne 1 Million 10-12 hours
Issey Miaki L'Eau 10-12 hours
Bogart Pour Homme 10-12 hours
Dior Fahrenheit Absolute 10-12 hours
Dior Fahrenheit 32 10-12 hours
Boucheron Jaipur Homme EDP 14-16 hours
Boucheron Pour Homme EDP 12-14 hours
Le Labo Santal 33 12-14 hours
Guerlain Heritage 10-12 hours
Zino Davidoff 10-12 hours
Givenchy Pi 10-12 hours

RE: Kouros - It is great stuff, but it's not for everyone. Definitely a must try for anyone with a frag hobby. I like it but I don't wear it often.

Top Bottom