What's new

YouTube Series Format?

YouTube Series Format?

• Old Man Teaching Young Man?

• Off-Camera Narration?

• Something Else (Specify)?

• You're Nuts, Forget It.

Results are only viewable after voting.
OK, I'm starting to get things together for my little project. I got a Firewire card for my PC and a cable for my camcorder and made some tests to be sure I could take reasonable close-ups and edit things with Windows Movie Maker. I'll start on some "B-Roll" footage this weekend and make some proof-of-concept files I can show y'all for comments.

For the folks here on B&B...am I potentially "stepping on anyone's toes" with this project because of the B&B DVD?

--Mark

Mark,

The main goal is to educate. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Now, that creaky tripod sound is copyrighted. If you try and incorporate that, then we're gonna have problems. :wink:

-Nick

In the nature of an experiment:

Cetaphil cleanser
Surrey Glycerin shave soap
Surrey Boar brush
Gillette Sensor Excel
generic witch hazel
Corn Huskers Lotion

I've been working on my YouTube "how to shave" video over the weekend, recording "B-rolls" and getting stock footage. Part of the video discusses what products can be found most widely, in places like grocery stores and drugstores, for that "immediate gratification" (or low cost experiment) kind of shave. So I tried the rig above for this morning's shave. I did a four-pass shave (with grain, across grain, across the opposite direction, and against grain) and while it certainly wasn't sensory delight of what I've been doing for the past two years, the shave was more than acceptable (a couple small rough patches but clean and comfortable over-all). I feel confident that if I can demonstrate this shave on the video, anyone who tries it will get results far superior to the usual Fusion-and-can-of-goo. :D

--Mark

Experiment #2:

KMF Virgin Forest shave cream
Surrey boar brush
Gillette Sensor Excel
generic witch hazel
Corn Huskers Lotion

I still can't whip up a lather anywhere near what I can get with even my Tweezerman badger brush, but it was adequate for three decent passes (one with-grain, two across-grain); I used some of the KMF "straight up" for my T&C. The results weren't too bad; pretty close--dare I say, almost "faceterbatable"--but I did get a bit of irritation on my neck.

--Mark

Experiment #3:

Cetaphil
Proraso cream
Surrey boar brush
M3
JASON Witchvera

I've pretty much convinced myself that I need to stress the use of a badger brush in my YouTube video and suggest a boar brush only as a last resort. I just can't get a decent lather going with the Surrey. Today's shave was just OK: smooth no irritation but not particularly comfortable with the M3. I like the JASON Witchvera--it feels a little like Skin Food, with a pleasant mild cooling effect.

--Mark

Experiment #4:

Showered so no pre-shave
KMF Virgin Forest moisture shave cream
Tweezerman badger brush
M3
JASON Witchvera

Finally. A decent shave. Actually, quite a good shave. And the difference was the brush. Even the Tweezerman, which isn't exactly top-shelf, lathers circles around the Surrey boar brush. I continue to be impressed with the JASON Witchvera: it feels like a combination of Proraso Pre/Post and Trumper's Skin Food. And just a drop on moistened fingertips massaged into the face is all thats needed.

--Mark

Gents-- I have completed my video! I had to break it into two parts for YouTube:

Part 1
Part 2

This is a proof-of-concept, so I'm looking for honest, critical feedback. I already know that the narration is a bit choppy and some of the lighting is off. :) Its aimed at the "newbie" just getting interested.

--Mark

Great Job!! I watched the entire thing and was hoping for more!
I don't even shave!! :w00t: :eek:

When are you going to move on to more advanced versions of this?

Bear Hugs!

Sue (Mama Bear)

Mama Bear said:
When are you going to move on to more advanced versions of this?
Thanks. I do want to do other "episodes" after I get some general feedback from the into, as to format, screen shots, and other suggestions.

--Mark

mantic said:
Is that good or bad? :eek: Yes, its me.

--Mark
That is good, it's relaxed and has humor interjected so it's not boring. You have a radio voice it sounds like too.

AACJ said:
That is good, it's relaxed and has humor interjected so it's not boring. You have a radio voice it sounds like too.
Thanks. I have a degree in broadcasting :blush: though I'm not in the industry anymore.

--Mark

Top Bottom