What's new

Your top five soaps?

1. Arko stick
2. Vintage Williams, '70's (Cranford, NJ) era.

Those are the only two I've tried that don't irritate my skin, also make great lather.

Williams
VDH Deluxe
Boots

I really only use those three most of the time. Occasionally TOBS Sandalwood, but something in that irritates my skin a bit. Sometimes I use Priarie Creations, which I won in a contest. And if I'm in a hurry I'll use Arko creams, which are really excellent.

In avoiding homework for this evening, I've tallied up what folks have said so far. Here are the top five

MWF: 28
Cella: 23
Tabac: 21
MdC: 15
Arko: 10

Followed by AOS sandalwood, Harris Arlington, Palmolive Stick, and 7 people have said any flavor of Harris soaps so I've lumped those votes together as a group rather than doing individually.

The three soaps that provide consistently great lather for me:

Palmolive shave stick
QCS Old Spice type soap (the "croaps" are also great)
Williams

Honorable mentions:

Pre de Provence - love it, but I can't get consistently good lather with it; one day is great, the next is miserable
MWF - luxurious stuff, but something in it doesn't agree with my skin; thought it was lanolin, but QCS soap has lanolin and it doesn't affect my skin

At the moment.

1 Cella.
2 MWF.
3 Valobra.
4 Proraso.
5 Vacant position waiting to be filled.

Cella has a comfortable lead while the MWF and Valobra are locked in a battle for second place. Proraso is cruising in fourth.

Last edited:
I just tabulated it, using 66 respondents. I only counted brands, and only counted a brand once per person. So the guy who listed 5 Cellas, I only counted one of them. :) I did count every favourably mentioned brand, even if a person listed more than 5.

Below is the frequency graph. For every brand that was mentioned more than 5% of the time, I plotted the percent of how often it was mentioned. So 50% means that half of the people posting favourite soaps included this brand. There are probably a few errors, but this gives one an idea.

proxy.php

EDIT: Yeah, Williams made the list! And only one respondent actually said "vintage" so the other guys might have been talking about modern Williams. Every soap has its fans!

Last edited:
I just tabulated it, using 66 respondents. I only counted brands, and only counted a brand once per person. So the guy who listed 5 Cellas, I only counted one of them. :) I did count every favourably mentioned brand, even if a person listed more than 5.

Below is the frequency graph. For every brand that was mentioned more than 5% of the time, I plotted the percent of how often it was mentioned. So 50% means that half of the people posting favourite soaps included this brand. There are probably a few errors, but this gives one an idea.

proxy.php

EDIT: Yeah, Williams made the list! And only one respondent actually said "vintage" so the other guys might have been talking about modern Williams. Every soap has its fans!

Great work here! My MBA students could learn from you. In looking at the graph, I'm surprised by the numbers for the three T's.

My 5 favorites:

MWF
Cade
Tabac
La Toja Manantiales
MdC

I agonized over the last one. I can't put some soaps that I know will remain in my den ahead of the Martin de Candre, which will only get a place in my den if I happen to make it to France.

Five A is Trumper's Coconut (and I love this soap!!!).

And I am not surprised to see the Fat at the top of the list. Sure, there are some who don't like it for a variety of reasons, but the numbers don't lie - this is one great soap!

brucered

System Generated

SWEET..thanks for adding that. time to add DR HARRIS (arlington in bowl) and TABAC (with mug) for sure. i was going to add Pre De Provence and IK, but might put them off until the next purchase.

Uh... what I have and like

MWF
Tabac (it and MWF are first.)
and third Harris Marlborough.
I also have Ogallala bay rum. But so far I'm not to keen on it... the lather seams lacking... It may just become shower soap...

I want to try MdC (I have missed Garry's samples twice now) And some day I will...

No order

Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar
Provence Sante Verlain
Irisch Moos
Speick stick
Godrej Deluxe Cream (dang, I've been forgetting about this old friend)

Top Bottom