What's new

Your top five soaps?

updated again after Trying Talobts and it is a Clear Cut #1 for me!

1) Talbot Buttery Brook (by a wide margin)
2) Mike's Peppermint and Rosemary
3) Eufros Ylang Ylang
4) Holy Black Gunpowder and Spice
5) B&M Seville

I’m updating mine as well. I don’t expect much change for my list anytime soon, though I haven’t yet tried SV!

I’m all about hard soaps!

1. Valobra (AoS Sandalwood is my favorite iteration)
2. TOBS Sandalwood Herbal
3. DRH Arlington
4. MWF
5. PdP

Honorable mention for Haslinger. I’ve only tried the Schafmilch. It performs as good as anything, but I don’t care for the scent. I’ll try the Sandalwood next time.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
1. Saponificio Varesino
2. Wickham 1912
3. Proraso
4. Via Barberia
5. Tabac

It seems like people are putting creams in the list as well. I'll put two in here as honorable mentions: Cyril R. Salter French Vetiver and Proraso Wood and Spice.

I also have PannaCrema Nuavia Verde as yet untried on my shelf.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I have started keeping a database of all my soaps and evaluate each of them based on scent, ease of loading, ease of lathering, slickness, residual slickness, density/cushion/protection, and post shave moisturizing/conditioning. Based on these factors, my current list of top 6 soaps is:

1. Ariana and Evans new goat milk base - A+
2. Wholly Kaw donkey milk base - A+
3. Barrister and Mann Reserve base - A
4. Declaration Grooming bison tallow - A
5. Cold River Soap Works Glide formula - A-
6. Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Sheep Milk - A-

I am constantly evaluating new soaps, so this list is subject to change at any time.

A few weeks ago, I had not yet tried Ariana and Evans. Peter's goat milk base was released only a few months ago. It has now overtaken Wholly Kaw as my top soap base. Both are outstanding soaps.

Lisa only released her new sheep milk formula last month. This new soap base fares well in a competitive field. I might have rated it higher, but I just could not achieve the same level of lather density, cushion, and protection as I can with my top five soap bases. Lisa's soap base is unusual in that glycerin is the first named ingredient, yet it contains sheep milk and tallow as well.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Interesting thread. I have started keeping a database of all my soaps and evaluate each of them based on scent, ease of loading, ease of lathering, slickness, residual slickness, density/cushion/protection, and post shave moisturizing/conditioning. Based on these factors, my current list of top 6 soaps is:

1. Ariana and Evans new goat milk base - A+
2. Wholly Kaw donkey milk base - A+
3. Barrister and Mann Reserve base - A
4. Declaration Grooming bison tallow - A
5. Cold River Soap Works Glide formula - A-
6. Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Sheep Milk - A-

I am constantly evaluating new soaps, so this list is subject to change at any time.

A few weeks ago, I had not yet tried Ariana and Evans. Peter's goat milk base was released only a few months ago. It has now overtaken Wholly Kaw as my top soap base. Both are outstanding soaps.

Lisa only released her new sheep milk formula last month. This new soap base fares well in a competitive field. I might have rated it higher, but I just could not achieve the same level of lather density, cushion, and protection as I can with my top five soap bases. Lisa's soap base is unusual in that glycerin is the first named ingredient, yet it contains sheep milk and tallow as well.
I find this thread interesting as well. I factor in all the things you do as well. Right now, as far as well performing higher end soaps go, I also factor in wether the soap is triple milled or a croap. SV is a triple milled soap that hardly takes any product. PannaCrema Nuavia is a croap. It costs two times, if not more, than SV. If the ease of lathering is on par with SV it should last a long time, but will it last as long as SV enough to justify the price point? Most artisan soaps are mostly croaps, so I tend to factor in cost even though I have nothing against croaps. I'm more or less having fun experimenting. Figaro Monsieur Gold croap with Argan, for example, is super slick. At ten dollars a tub for Figaro Monsieur Gold does the price of PannaCrema Nuavia justify itself? I look forward to finding out if it does for me.

Last edited:
Update:

1) Tonka & Tobacco Flower
2) Oxford & Cambridge
3) 1805 (hard soap)
4) I Coloniali with Mango oil
5) SMN v3

Declaration Grooming Sweet Lemon is my #1 and pulling away from the pack (WK, Eufros, GD) not just because of performance but also because of the scent. I love the scent and the fact that I love it makes it hard for me to include the others in my rotation as much as I used to, especially since I'm not sacrificing anything in terms of performance, which is top tier, so quite the opposite. For today, I feel like I've been searching and have found the one. Of course, that may change. But that's where I am now.

I find this thread interesting as well. I factor in all the things you do as well. Right now, as far as well performing higher end soaps go, I also factor in wether the soap is triple milled or a croap. SV is a triple milled soap that hardly takes any product. PannaCrema Nuavia is a croap. It costs two times, if not more, than SV. If the ease of lathering is on par with SV it should last a long time, but will it last as long as SV enough to justify the price point? Most artisan soaps are mostly croaps, so I tend to factor in cost even though I have nothing against croaps. I'm more or less having fun experimenting. Figaro Monsieur Gold croap with Argan, for example, is super slick. At ten dollars a tub for Figaro Monsieur Gold does the price of PannaCrema Nuavia justify itself? I look forward to finding out if it does for me.

Since I have evaluated about 30 soap bases and over 70 soaps overall, I am not focused on the cost per shave. I probably have enough soap to last 10 years, if they don't spoil first. If I was trying to be frugal, I would not have that many soaps. I just enjoy the experience of using a variety of soaps.

I evaluate loading primarily based on load time. With some of the softer soaps/croaps, I can load the brush in about 15 seconds and have plenty for a three pass shave. In fact, with some soaps like Barrister Reserve, if you overload the brush, it is difficult to add enough water to get a great lather.

With hard soaps, I normally bloom them first and still have to load for about 30 seconds or longer. In the grand scheme of things, the 15 second difference is not critical, but it indicates that you have to work harder to load and lather the soap. So for me, that is a negative.

I am not quite sure why, but my personal experience with many hard soaps is that they often fall short on other factors like residual slickness, cushion, and post shave feel. One exception is MWF which has great cushion and post shave. However, with my water, it was just too much trouble trying to get a great lather. I PIFed my puck to a friend who won't use anything else.

1. Tabac
2. Chiseled Face (any scents but Banana and Ghost Town Barber are my favorite)
3. Black Ship Grooming (Captain Scurvy)
4. Proraso Red
5. Stirling Soap Co. (Red Delicious)

In that order! But Tabac is my ultimate favorite of all-time, both for scent and performance!!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Since I have evaluated about 30 soap bases and over 70 soaps overall, I am not focused on the cost per shave. I probably have enough soap to last 10 years, if they don't spoil first. If I was trying to be frugal, I would not have that many soaps. I just enjoy the experience of using a variety of soaps.

I evaluate loading primarily based on load time. With some of the softer soaps/croaps, I can load the brush in about 15 seconds and have plenty for a three pass shave. In fact, with some soaps like Barrister Reserve, if you overload the brush, it is difficult to add enough water to get a great lather.

With hard soaps, I normally bloom them first and still have to load for about 30 seconds or longer. In the grand scheme of things, the 15 second difference is not critical, but it indicates that you have to work harder to load and lather the soap. So for me, that is a negative.

I am not quite sure why, but my personal experience with many hard soaps is that they often fall short on other factors like residual slickness, cushion, and post shave feel. One exception is MWF which has great cushion and post shave. However, with my water, it was just too much trouble trying to get a great lather. I PIFed my puck to a friend who won't use anything else.
I have exactly half the amount of soaps that you do. Still 35 soaps is still quite a bit, so it's unlikely I'll ever personally answer my question of cost per shave basis between higher end hard soaps and croaps. I did have a puck of Valobra hard soap back in the day, and I burned through it rather quickly. Still my dad is a Hollander. That makes me a Hollander by default, so cost/value is some what ingrained lol. If you find blooming a time factor inconvenience, I take it you're probably not a big fan of boar brushes?

Last edited:
I have exactly half the amount of soaps that you do. Still 35 soaps is still quite a bit, so it's unlikely I'll ever personally answer my question of cost per shave basis between higher end hard soaps and croaps. I did have a puck of Valobra hard soap back in the day, and I burned through it rather quickly. Still my dad is a Hollander. That makes me a Hollander by default, so cost/value is some what ingrained lol. If you find blooming a time factor inconvenience, I take it you're probably not a big fan of boar brushes?

I have quite a few brushes in my den including a variety of badger brushes, boar brushes, horse hair brushes and synthetic brushes. I select a brush based on the soap selection. When lathering hard soaps, I pick a brush with plenty of backbone, such as a big Omega 10098 Professional boar brush.However, two-band badger, horse and some synthetics also work well with hard soaps. I have sensitive skin, so I bowl lather than then paint on the lather to minimize irritation.

Many soaps indicate you should be able to get about 90 shaves per puck or tub. However, if I just get half of that, I still have enough soap to last 8-10 years, even if I do not try another one, which is most unlikely.

My parents were both teenagers when the Great Depression began with the stock market crash of 1929. They both served in WWII. So they knew what it was to ration life's necessities. After the war, they tended to horde things like coffee that were hard to obtain during the Depression and war years. From my parents, I learned to be frugal; I packed a brown bag lunch throughout my career to avoid the cost of eating out. However, I also learned to horde things that bring me pleasure, like shaving soap.

Many people think nothing of stopping by the coffee shop to spend several dollars on a latte, so I don't feel bad spending $0.35 - 0.50 on shaving soap for the daily shave if it provides me a wonderful shaving experience and leaves my face feeling great afterwards.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have quite a few brushes in my den including a variety of badger brushes, boar brushes, horse hair brushes and synthetic brushes. I select a brush based on the soap selection. When lathering hard soaps, I pick a brush with plenty of backbone, such as a big Omega 10098 Professional boar brush.However, two-band badger, horse and some synthetics also work well with hard soaps. I have sensitive skin, so I bowl lather than then paint on the lather to minimize irritation.

Many soaps indicate you should be able to get about 90 shaves per puck or tub. However, if I just get half of that, I still have enough soap to last 8-10 years, even if I do not try another one, which is most unlikely.

My parents were both teenagers when the Great Depression began with the stock market crash of 1929. They both served in WWII. So they knew what it was to ration life's necessities. After the war, they tended to horde things like coffee that were hard to obtain during the Depression and war years. From my parents, I learned to be frugal; I packed a brown bag lunch throughout my career to avoid the cost of eating out. However, I also learned to horde things that bring me pleasure, like shaving soap.

Many people think nothing of stopping by the coffee shop to spend several dollars on a latte, so I don't feel bad spending $0.35 - 0.50 on shaving soap for the daily shave if it provides me a wonderful shaving experience and leaves my face feeling great afterwards.
:thumbup: Thanks for sharing. I still pack a brown bag lunch and horde Fatips and shaving soaps...blades...brushes...

I really enjoy this thread as I have just ventured into soaps after shaving exclusively with creams for the last 10 years. So thank you all for the input. I will post mine at some point ... hopefully soon. However, I have recently picked up a lot of new soaps and am intimidated to chime in until I try more. However, thank you again to everyone on the great soap recommendations because I am enjoying a lot them.

I have recently picked up a lot of new soaps and am intimidated to chime in until I try more.
Ah heck, join the rest of us, wandering about aimlessly in the wilderness. I refer to my own posts as "Ignorance on Parade" so don't be shy. OTOH, I notice my technique and knowledge improving greatly so there is that. I reckon that I learn from exposing my opinions to the critical scrutiny of others.

Still, I will stick with my list I set forth earlier in this thread:
1. Wholly Kaw Lav Sublime
2. Declaration Grooming Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli
3. Noble Otter The Noir et Vanille
4. Tallow & Steel Sicily
5. Eufros Zanzibar

That said, Mike's Natural, Talbot's, Lisa's NHC new formula, WCS new collaboration soaps, CRSW and Reef Point are potential top soaps as are Storybook Soapworks (Vision and Revisons), WCS (particularly Olympus), B&M and Ariana & Evans (Asian Plum). I have yet to try Talbots, Lisa's new formula, or the new WCS collaboration soaps so I have that fun ahead of me. Once I get off the road this Winter I think I will pick up a new soap or two from the soapmakers I have not tried. This thread really helps to focus new acquisitions.

With all the new and well-reviewed soaps coming out right now, I have a feeling things are going to change a lot for me. I've ordered Lisa's new formula (Irish Green Tweed and Smoked Black Tea), Noble Otter (Barr Barr and The Noir et Vanille), The Holy Black, and Ariana & Evans (Summer Fig), and will probably have a new order after trying all of those, which is really something to look forward to. Scents are becoming more important to me (I realized I don't like some of the DG scents that I used to like, and I have a hard time finding WK and GD scents that I like). Can't find Talbot's so far, but hopefully will someday... In the meantime, I've pared my top soaps down to 4:

1. Declaration Grooming Sweet Lemon.
2. Eufros Zanzibar.
3. Wholly Kaw Lav Sublime.
4. Sudsy Soapery Uplift.

Thanks to all the posters in this thread for bringing the new and well-regarded soaps to my attention, I can't wait to try them.

Using my Shave Buddy app, my top 5 most used:
Razorock What The Puck Lime Burst
Pre de Provence original
Tabac
Chisled Face Ghost Town Barber
Razorock Al Sapone

Top 5 best rated
Wild West Aces & Eights
Captains Choice Bay Rum
Crown King Atomic
Summer Break Picture Day
Uncle Jon's Pipe Smoke

Alright this is going to be a major work in progress, that I will have to revisit frequently. Again I am just getting into soaps after 10 years of creams. And I probably have 10 years worth of soaps I've bought to try. Ha Ha, maybe 3018, but I could never use one only until gone.

1. Wholly Kaw Padre Leone
2. Declaration Grooming Icarus Shore
3. Sudsy Soapery Tallow Uplift
4. Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
5. Oleo Soapworks Shiloh

I have a lot more to try and this is bound to change. Really looking forward to Declaration Grooming Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli (and the Wholly Kaw version) and Vide Poche. Sudsy Soapery Rose and Black Pepper almost made this list too. We'll see how it shakes out over time.

Top Bottom