What's new

Your Thoughts Gentleman...

I am fully convinced that a great DE shave (or any shave for that matter) is the product of the soap/cream you use... - the brush is the catalyst - important; yes, but not the do all or end all. The blade - a matter of preference. The razor, whatever you're comfortable with.

I am fully convinced that a great DE shave (or any shave for that matter) is the product of the soap/cream you use... - the brush is the catalyst - important; yes, but not the do all or end all. The blade - a matter of preference. The razor, whatever you're comfortable with.

You will find that your face tends to respond well to some blades and not so well to others. The preparation is the most important part of a great DE shave- or any shave for that matter.

Marty

I agree with preparation.

Best shaves come right after a hot shower. Even using a warm wash cloth for several minutes doesn't cut it. Helps, but not nearly as good.

I think it is technique. everything else is window dressing.

case in point-

I had a great dry shave from a straight razor in a barber shop. About a month ago. Followed by a facial massage, etc. , etc. I was BBS for 1.5 days. One of my best shaves ever.

Now, do I love good soaps and creams and brushes? You betcha. I too am luke warm on the razor, and the blade is completely a YMMV, too. I use a plastic handle/body gillette rubie (chinese made) and I get great shaves from it. Not ever gonna be a heirloom, but it gets the job done. The rest of the goods are great for the enjoyment factor.

I am not suggesting that I can perform a BBS shave without soap or cream, but it can be done.

Top Bottom