What's new

Applying lather to your face

Good morning. I am still trying to figure out all the intricacies of the shaving process.
What would you consider the best way to apply shaving lather to your face? I have read several different thoughts on this subject and would appreciate your opinions.
Once you create the lather with the brush, is it better to put the lather on your face (choose as many as you think are appropriate):
1) with a circular motion
2) with an upward motion
3) paint it on
4) doesn't really matter
5) don't overthinking the process

Thanks

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I say number 5. There are no intricacies of the shaving process, at least not for me; in fact it could hardly be more straightforward. Some B&B members, including myself at times, seem to feel the need to hugely overcomplicate every part of shaving, as well as most other subjects. Perhaps that is the nature of a hobby. My advice is to experiment a bit for yourself, do whatever you prefer, and ignore the naysayers.

6. Build the lather directly on the face before shaving (aka face lathering). This has several advantages: 1) Simplifies the process 2) Faster 3) Prepares the beard better for shaving 4) Less to clean up.

FWIW, I generally use horizontal, vertical, diagonal back-and-forth motions while pressing the brush slightly against the face. I try to avoid moving in circles because I think circular motions can lead to doughnut holes or shedding later in the brush's life.

I've only been doing it for a few weeks, but I'd suggest a combination of #1 and #5. Number one because it works the lather all around your beard making sure there aren't any dry spots and number five because there's really not much about it to think about.

I am all for number 5.

I use Arco stick, just rub it on my stubble and then lather it up on my face with a wet brush. I am sure many purists would puke all over this "method" but it works just fine. Proper prep is what matters, not how you apply the lather as long as it's applied where it needs to be.

Number 5. Having said that, and thinking about it as I began to type, as a face latherer I do make sure that after roughly smushing the brush around my face, a good number of my painting strokes are against the grain, as I try and work lather into all of the crevices of my old, lined face.

But yeah, don't overthink it. :p

Thank you so much for all of your opinions and advise.
Guess I should adopt a variation on the old adage: "Keep Calm and Shave On".

Top Bottom