What's new

Your shave den as conversation piece?

FYi the razors mounted on the mirror are a 1938 Gillette Sheraton and 1946-47 Gillette Aristocrat. Both have new blades installed and are ready to go if needed in the middle of a pass (i.e. a bad blade ). On the Plastic blade case that contains 20 each of various top shelf blades are a Timeless .95 OC on a Stork Titanium Handle (wolf man replica handle) next to it is a Rockwell 6S, a Feather AS/D2 and a 1960 F1 Fatboy. The Barber figure is a Blade Bank.

No one uses our master bathroom so they don't see the razor and brush in there...but my wife does show her family all my stuff in the cupboard.
*jaws dropping* is the usual reaction I get from them!!

My younger sis in law just loves it and thinks it's so cool!

My own parents just don't give a hoot, they still just think I'm nuts!

My handlebar moustache is the best lead-in to shave related talks that I can think of, though the scuttle, shaving mugs, and that days brush and razor in the guest vanity area will bring it up if the 'stache didn't. :)

My stash resides in a cabinet in my basement Man Cave (theatre room) not my Shave Den (basement bathroom). When the guys are over watching a sports game on the big screen a few of them have opened the cabinet and ask a few questions. Mostly what year is this or that razor. For the most part they think it is really cool stuff. View attachment 949615
That's beautiful and very organized!

We have a house guest who is staying with us during Spring Training. On Saturday my wife mentioned to him that the stop in the bathroom he is using does not work properly. He learned that the sink top in my sink doesn't work at all and I took it out and replaced it with a rubber stop. On Sunday when we out to church, our guest started to repair our sinks. When we got home he asked to see my sink. We went up to my sink and he noticed the stand holding a DE and brush. Next he opened the vanity door and spotted all of my soaps, creams, scuttle, and other shaving paraphernalia. He uses an electric razor and was fascinated by the razor I had out (a RR Stealth Slant). He is only 32 years old and expressed some interest in the razor and brush. I then showed him my other razors and brushes and he was astounded. However, I could not get him to try traditional shaving. He said he might try it some time - but during the duration of Spring Training he has to leave for the ballpark at 4:30 a.m.

I know how you feel. Pete Rose and Johnny Bench are constantly barging in to use my bathroom. And I loaned Joe Morgan my lawnmower last summer and never saw it again!

Kidding, of course.

The notion that DE wetshaving is a more time-consuming process than a cartridge razor is something I dismiss out of hand. Actually, I enjoy shaving now so much that I will MAKE time for it.

Lol.. I hide most of my collection. I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to explain why I have this much soaps..

Lol.. I hide most of my collection. I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to explain why I have this much soaps..

Thankfully, shaving is of the manly arts. Just one degree removed from the martial arts!

You can merely answer that if you don't already understand, then it is beyond my power to explain. Back, back into the abyss of shaving in the shower with a single edge disposable!

One of my friends came out of the den saying he smelled fabulous. On another occasion a different friend sat down in the living room and started peering at his forearm, my wife asked what was wrong and he had ran one of my razors down his arm lol his words... "man those things are sharp".

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

My mother in law has commented on me using classic shave gear, thinking that its cool. Mostly though its because he husband uses one and because her husband before that used a straight.
Most people though, Im sure just think its a weird hobby and wonder why I dont just use a Fusion.

I have a friend. His name is Dave.Dave has no sense of smell. He saw my den and was intrigued. I spent the better part of two hours trying to get him to smell soaps. poor guy...
proxy.php

Last edited:
Yes, surprisingly, to me. I have the bare minimum out on my sink*: a Fatboy, a vintage brush, a shaving bowl, 4 soaps, 2 creams, 10 or so after-shaves. Several times people have expressed interest, but it's difficult to explain traditional shaving to anyone. A couple of women commented on the nice aromas.

*The embarrassing stash of soaps and creams is well-hidden.

My stash resides in a cabinet in my basement Man Cave (theatre room) not my Shave Den (basement bathroom). When the guys are over watching a sports game on the big screen a few of them have opened the cabinet and ask a few questions. Mostly what year is this or that razor. For the most part they think it is really cool stuff. View attachment 949615

Is it just me or is there a slight bow to the glass shelf holding your aftershaves? Do you have anything bracing the centre of that shelf?

I just think I’d cry if that shelf gave way - imagine cleaning that up!

Yeah...

"What's all that stuff clogging up the bathroom shelves? It's pointless talking to you because in the end you always do what you want to do. But seriously, get a grip....."

Holy Mackerel! That's some great stuff you have there.

Nice!

Top Bottom