What's new

Your shave den as conversation piece?

Just wondering how many of us has had a house guest, friend or family member, use your bathroom...only to emerge and inquire as to just what the heck is going on in there. And if this led to an animated discussion on the merits of wetshaving.

I get comments all the time about the “old timey” shave stuff in there and they think it’s just decor. I usually get a funny look when I tell them I actually use it.

I don’t have much visible, just a couple razors in a bar tool stand and a brush or two, maybe the MWF ceramic bowl for looks.

My stash resides in a cabinet in my basement Man Cave (theatre room) not my Shave Den (basement bathroom). When the guys are over watching a sports game on the big screen a few of them have opened the cabinet and ask a few questions. Mostly what year is this or that razor. For the most part they think it is really cool stuff.
shave den cabinet2.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My stash resides in a cabinet in my basement Man Cave (theatre room) not my Shave Den (basement bathroom). When the guys are over watching a sports game on the big screen a few of them have opened the cabinet and ask a few questions. Mostly what year is this or that razor. For the most part they think it is really cool stuff. View attachment 949615
You do have some really cool stuff. Congratulations.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not here. I don't "display" shaving gear. There's usually just one razor, brush and soap in the bathroom, and people who know me wouldn't be surprised to see a DE razor instead of some cartridge thing.

My stash resides in a cabinet in my basement Man Cave (theatre room) not my Shave Den (basement bathroom). When the guys are over watching a sports game on the big screen a few of them have opened the cabinet and ask a few questions. Mostly what year is this or that razor. For the most part they think it is really cool stuff. View attachment 949615

GREAT STASH!!

I recently sold a home and in that home had my collection of vintage razors/barberiana displayed. The realtors told me that they had many positive comments and interest in the display.

In my part of woods people wouldn't recognize DE stuff as shaving accessoiries. Once I got asked why am I using hard soap as there are canned gels available everywhere.
In my bathroom I have razor and brush on a stand, and soap with post shave next to it - that's all.

My stash resides in a cabinet in my basement Man Cave (theatre room) not my Shave Den (basement bathroom). When the guys are over watching a sports game on the big screen a few of them have opened the cabinet and ask a few questions. Mostly what year is this or that razor. For the most part they think it is really cool stuff. View attachment 949615[/QUOTE

Ho Lee Chit

That's Really nice!

This happens often to me. It has resulted in quite a few conversion stories, most notably my father. THOUGH, often enough, I have people tell me I'm NUTS!
263enxT.jpg

Dude.... this looks like my liquor selection in my basement bar. I'm envious!!

We have a house guest who is staying with us during Spring Training. On Saturday my wife mentioned to him that the stop in the bathroom he is using does not work properly. He learned that the sink top in my sink doesn't work at all and I took it out and replaced it with a rubber stop. On Sunday when we out to church, our guest started to repair our sinks. When we got home he asked to see my sink. We went up to my sink and he noticed the stand holding a DE and brush. Next he opened the vanity door and spotted all of my soaps, creams, scuttle, and other shaving paraphernalia. He uses an electric razor and was fascinated by the razor I had out (a RR Stealth Slant). He is only 32 years old and expressed some interest in the razor and brush. I then showed him my other razors and brushes and he was astounded. However, I could not get him to try traditional shaving. He said he might try it some time - but during the duration of Spring Training he has to leave for the ballpark at 4:30 a.m.

And this is what they see if they use the bathroom during the game.
Den Bathroom pic Feb 5 2019.jpg

Top Bottom