What's new

Your rarest razor

The beautiful Eclipse gets seen around here now & then, but this one a rarely seen variant. I'd shared it when I first got it but not in this thread until now.

Attachments

• $rare-eclipse-0.jpg
    $rare-eclipse-0.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 436
  • $rare-eclipse-2.jpg
    $rare-eclipse-2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 439
  • $rare-eclipse-1.jpg
    $rare-eclipse-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 436
The beautiful Eclipse gets seen around here now & then, but this one a rarely seen variant. I'd shared it when I first got it but not in this thread until now.

Jake the razor is a beauty for sure, but what sets it apart from other red rings?

During WWII England continued to manufacture Aristocrat razors (perhaps for the aristocracy who had deferments and cash to purchase luxury items) and refine their high end models. Here's the rarely seen black nickel handle and rhodium plated head version of this model, the one Gillette chose to name the "Popular." Hard to imagine it ever really was.

Notice the note on the side of the box regarding saving paper for the war effort!

Attachments

• $rare-pop-3.jpg
    $rare-pop-3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 427
  • $rare-pop-4.jpg
    $rare-pop-4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 425
  • $rare-pop-2.jpg
    $rare-pop-2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 423
  • $rare-pop-1.jpg
    $rare-pop-1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 427
  • $rare-pop-0.jpg
    $rare-pop-0.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 427
One more group shoot for today. Rare birds and one is still in it's 1940 cellophane (is that what they used in 1940?) wrapper. Hard to know if Gillette was totally consistent in what you would find inside of a #45, #46, #47 set. But the 3 I have here are the black nickel handle with rhodium plated head, the all gold set, and the nickel (or is it rhodium?) plated razor. Very attractive. Strangely labeled "Popular" and among the more rare of the razors, probably due to them only being available during the 1930 and 1940 War year.

Nice to have found them still in their original shipper and with the Bakelite cases in pristine condition. I am displaying the 2 Populars that are out of their wrapper. By the way, although not obvious from these photos, the head design of the Populars is similar to the #15, with the solid base plate for balance & heft.

Attachments

• $rare-popular-1.jpg
    $rare-popular-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 422
  • $rare-popular-0.jpg
    $rare-popular-0.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 425
During WWII England continued to manufacture Aristocrat razors (perhaps for the aristocracy who had deferments and cash to purchase luxury items) and refine their high end models. Here's the rarely seen black nickel handle and rhodium plated head version of this model, the one Gillette chose to name the "Popular." Hard to imagine it ever really was.

Notice the note on the side of the box regarding saving paper for the war effort!

I remember when I first started collecting I would never consider looking at open comb razors. I passed on several razors that I thought were just not collectible and remember seeing this particular model. It was tucked away in a small store and I thought the handle was tarnished. I had no idea until several years later what I was missing and, it is a case of if I knew then what I know now.

I remember when I first started collecting I would never consider looking at open comb razors. I passed on several razors that I thought were just not collectible and remember seeing this particular model. It was tucked away in a small store and I thought the handle was tarnished. I had no idea until several years later what I was missing and, it is a case of if I knew then what I know now.

Agreed. Even if I was fortunate enough to have found something like that for $10 at a antique fair in my ignorance I would have attempted to try to polish it off or something. It's always an good idea to ask this crew here at B&B first with something you've acquired that's unknown to you FIRST.

one more group shoot for today. Rare birds and one is still in it's 1940 cellophane (is that what they used in 1940?) wrapper. Hard to know if gillette was totally consistent in what you would find inside of a #45, #46, #47 set. But the 3 i have here are the black nickel handle with rhodium plated head, the all gold set, and the nickel (or is it rhodium?) plated razor. Very attractive. Strangely labeled "popular" and among the more rare of the razors, probably due to them only being available during the 1930 and 1940 war year.

Nice to have found them still in their original shipper and with the bakelite cases in pristine condition. I am displaying the 2 populars that are out of their wrapper. By the way, although not obvious from these photos, the head design of the populars is similar to the #15, with the solid base plate for balance & heft.

fantastic!

Jake: Thanks for posting some of your beautiful razor collection. May I asked, how did you stumble onto such prestine treasures.

1957 Gillette Red Tipped Rocket. I'm not sure how rare they actually are but I haven't seen one on the Bay since I bought mine two years ago.

Jake: Thanks for posting some of your beautiful razor collection. May I asked, how did you stumble onto such prestine treasures.
I wish there were a time machine I could use, if so, I'd look for a number of things besides vintage razors. Seriously, the search is on and we're all so vigilant. I guess I may have begun the hunt earlier than you. That may be the biggest difference. No real magic. Although we could certainly create some mystique around our collecting habit.

I wish there were a time machine I could use, if so, I'd look for a number of things besides vintage razors. Seriously, the search is on and we're all so vigilant. I guess I may have begun the hunt earlier than you. That may be the biggest difference. No real magic. Although we could certainly create some mystique around our collecting habit.

Great info, I will have to remember when I give it a go for my first slant shave.

Thank you.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Pushing this back up.

I did not see a LeGrelot safety razor very often but I own one so I thought I should share. LeGrelot are well known for their straight razors but I got no clue when and how many safety razors they made...

Attachments

• $SANY6753 (800x545).jpg
    $SANY6753 (800x545).jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 256
  • $SANY6755 (800x585).jpg
    $SANY6755 (800x585).jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 259
  • $SANY6756 (800x599).jpg
    $SANY6756 (800x599).jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 260
  • $SANY6757 (800x591).jpg
    $SANY6757 (800x591).jpg