What's new

Your most pleasant surprise

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I hate to tell this.

Not that I knew what I was doing but I badly wanted a Schick E2 open-to-clean. I looked and looked and looked, for a good while, on eBay, BST, etc. Finally I discovered I already owned one.

E2.In Case.3-20.640.JPG

That's how little I knew, but, lucky me, it turned out to be a great razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have you ever acquired a modestly priced razor for which you didn't have high expectations, and ended up being very pleasantly surprised?

(In general this would exclude more expensive razors, as we tend to have higher expectations of performance for a higher purchase price.)

My example of this right now is the Parker Variant. I was able to acquire this razor at a discount on the BST from a fine B&B member here. I got it because I was interested in trying this style of adjustable. It was a very pleasant surprise indeed--excellent razor for me!

Anybody else very pleasantly surprised by modest razor acquisitions?
$4 GEM g-bar!!!!

I purchased a Fatip Piccolo intrigued by its legacy and the controversy concerning blade alignment, poor finish, but full brass construction and made-in-Italy intrigued enough to take a modest monetary risk. I was expecting a sloppy lackluster shaving experience but after that first pass, I was like "...WOW, that was really nice!" This experience spurred me to sell off most of my razors and buy the Grande gold version too.
Yes! I came here to say this. I use my GC .84 more often, but I'd be hard-pressed to say it's a better razor. The Piccolo is remarkable.

The best cheap razor for me (although it is vintage) is the Star 100. I find it superior to the Tech and is usually found for around $10 in the wild and on auction sites. The handle is well balanced and grippy, the head is mild yet efficient and the posts don't let the blade play much when loading.
This razor was a wonderful surprise for me too. In the hand it feels so light and frankly a little bit cheap. But when I shave with it this Star gives me excellent audio feedback and plenty of blade feel- not in a rough way but the sort of blade feel that allows you to really get a feel for the sweet spot angle. The handle is the grippiest in my herd too. It just feels like a really precise tool. Much more pleasurable for me to use this compared to a Tech.
Probably over paid for mine at $47 but it is in excellent condition and I don't have a bit of buyer's remorse.

This razor was a wonderful surprise for me too. In the hand it feels so light and frankly a little bit cheap. But when I shave with it this Star gives me excellent audio feedback and plenty of blade feel- not in a rough way but the sort of blade feel that allows you to really get a feel for the sweet spot angle. The handle is the grippiest in my herd too. It just feels like a really precise tool. Much more pleasurable for me to use this compared to a Tech.
Probably over paid for mine at $47 but it is in excellent condition and I don't have a bit of buyer's remorse.
it costs more for no warts and can cost a lot if it's boxed. mine isn't pretty but it sure works wonders

I have seen comments recently about razors being heavy as though it were an undesirable quality (not saying that's the case here; just an observation). Lighter razors seem to be trendy right now, but I like razors that have some heft. I've used a couple of aluminum razors, and they shave well enough, but they feel too much to me like a cheap plastic razor; probably a weird bias on my part. (I have never used a titanium razor; the cost/benefit is just not there IMO.) For me the Flexi is a great razor, so I would probably like the Hammer.

Pleasant surprises can also arise when revisiting razors you haven't used for a while.

I used a Mühle R89 this morning. I thought I didn't like "mild" razors as well, but it provided a nice shave. I am going to try a shim in it to increase the blade gap a bit and see how that works.

IMG_7705.jpeg

Very pleasant surprise on this little guy, 1970 Gillette super speed. My first DE bought from ebay decades ago when I was a lurker here. It also happens to be my birth year razor.
After the hobby took over, I proceeded to try different razors, brushes and soaps and this thing sat there in a corner unappreciated. I’m glad I never parted ways with it.
currently loaded with an old astra sp blade that was sitting somewhere, and providing smooth bbs shaves.
I abandoned DEs long time ago, feeling they weren’t for me.
First thing I bought, and it was all I needed

Although it's a bit heavy due to it being an all brass razor...the Pearl Hammer is a very close shaving razor. Comes with an SB and an OC base plate...all for the low price of $44. I'm keeping it in my stable for an occasional shave.
I got the same one not too long ago from Maggards but I have about 40 razors ahead of it in a queue.

Legion

Staff member
The only safety razor I keep in my bathroom is a gold Gillette aristocrat adjustable that I bought for peanuts because it was jammed on 5. I couldn't get it unjammed, but 5 is where I would have set it anyway.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have seen comments recently about razors being heavy as though it were an undesirable quality (not saying that's the case here; just an observation). Lighter razors seem to be trendy right now, but I like razors that have some heft. I've used a couple of aluminum razors, and they shave well enough, but they feel too much to me like a cheap plastic razor; probably a weird bias on my part. (I have never used a titanium razor; the cost/benefit is just not there IMO.) For me the Flexi is a great razor, so I would probably like the Hammer.

It's a good shaver. Most of my razors are stainless steel heads with titanium handles...so I'm a bit spoiled in the weight category. But the Pearl Hammer is a capable razor.

This was a shocker to me but the Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor for $5.99. The black plastic 2 piece. I have had some of my best shaves with it.

Attachments

• Wilkindon black plastic.jpg
    Wilkindon black plastic.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom