What's new

Your most pleasant surprise

After hearing all the scary stories about the Muhle R41, I was able to buy the head only from Maggards for $25. Put one of my handles on it and had a great shave. I liked it so much that I bought the R41GS (stainless steel).

I'm guessing you're looking for new razors? I've gotten some vintage razors for free or close to it that have provided some very pleasant surprises, too.

Schone OC for $21 with shipping included. Similar to Fatip Grande.

Razorock German 37 slant head for $8 plus Super Knurl handle on Scratch and Dent for $6 totals $14. Sweet razor. The handle looked fine to me.

Mine would be a '56 Gillette Flair Tip l purchased on the bay for $19.95. Bought it because it is my birth razor. I have a '53 forties style l find too mild for me so didnt expect much. Turns out its a good shaver and functions perfectly but still milder than my EJ razor.

Can you please tell me what are those scary stories? I didn't follow DE safety razor news for the past ~5 years and I am outdated, but I was thinking yesterday to buy a Muhle R41 to keep it next to my Muhle R89.
Reports of how aggressive the razor shaves. The R41 made prior to the 2013 model has a reputation of being more aggressive than the 2013 model, but is still considered very aggressive.

Reports of how aggressive the razor shaves. The R41 made prior to the 2013 model has a reputation of being more aggressive than the 2013 model, but is still considered very aggressive.
Ah, okay. Thank you for letting me know. The R89 was my first DE safety razor and now I don't use it anymore, I find it way too mild even for a daily driver, hence why I wanted to try the R41. But everyone will have a different opinion on this, depending on what they like and what works best for them.

Can you please tell me what are those scary stories? I didn't follow DE safety razor news for the past ~5 years and I am outdated, but I was thinking yesterday to buy a Muhle R41 to keep it next to my Muhle R89.
The R41 has a more "aggressive" head geometry than the R89, by which I mean something like "it gives you more access to the blade." As a result it is easier to get nicks or cuts using it. However, it is also very "efficient," by which I mean something like "you can get a closer shave in a shorter time."

My opinion is that the R41 is a great razor but it takes more attention to shave with than the R89. The R41 might be a better choice than the R89 if you don't shave daily. With that said, though, there are plenty of people who use the R41 daily and have no issues.

For me, the R41 has helped with my technique, particularly in regards to pressure. The R89 is a more "forgiving" design; when I used it initially, I got razor burn because I was accustomed to cartridge razors which need pressure for me to get a close shave. The R41 has more "blade feel" and as a result I was more careful and my technique actually improved.

Both are great razors!

It’s a razor that requires some skills. It’s not forgiving if you don’t have the right angles, control and pressure.
I owned the 2011 version, and even with years of experience I consider myself a poor skilled shaver (maybe I have poor fine motor skills), and my shaves were not great, resulting in nicks, weapers and irritation.

Thank you, guys. Now I am really curious to compare it with the Timeless 0.95 stainless steel razor, which has been the only DE razor I used since I acquired it some time ago.

I'm not home and couldn't get a picture of mine so I just got a screen grab online... anyhow, these little hex handled razors with stamped heads punch way above their weight class.....I prefer the weight of the brass handled one's but the aluminum handles are good shavers too. I believe they were sold mega cheap in vending machines way back.... you can often scoop one for sub $20 today.

If I want an effortless, efficient but not aggressive, guaranteed comfortable DE shave I reach for this. Same goes if I need to get a shave done fast and get on the road, im reaching for this. Honestly it's for sure in my top 5 DEs I've ever owned, maybe top 3...so good.
20230502_102239.jpg

Last edited:
1/Fatip Piccolo, so efficient yet still mild feeling (on sale for 15€ on AMZN).

2/The Yaqi Mercury head (very smooth and foolproof, not as efficient as the Fatip though) (on sale for 3,20€ shipped on Ali).

3/The ALDI Biocura MAN 2 blade disposables (black/green color, per 10 pack its now 1,59€, was less), work great and give me about 15 to 20 good shaves (lightweight and plastic though, im not always in that kind of mood to use these), weirdly good.

Some people find the R41 uncomfortable to shave with. Too much blade feel. Another common complaint is the razor tugs or pulls whiskers instead of cutting them cleanly. Some people complain they get nicked too easily.

If you practice with the R41 (especially the post 2011 version), you find with good lather, sharp blade and careful technique you can get extremely close shaves with just a couple of passes. It may not be as comfortable to use as others, but it can be very effective.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve been trying to come up with a surprise……something that was inexpensive. I finally came up with one. I’m pleasantly surprised I can buy top notch DE razor blades for 7-11 cents. My first purchase was 10 King C Gillette blades for $7: 70 cents a blade so you can understand my concern. I was wondering if I should have stayed with AC razors.

I’m really enjoying the DE razors I use routinely….. and they don’t cost me a small fortune for blades.

83ECA790-2117-4B72-8F40-70DCB74D50F9.jpeg

Hit the right place at the right time -- offered $5 for each and the lady charged me $5 for all of them. The Aristocrat was the biggest surprise; sure, it's missing an end cap and the plating is gone in a few places, but the large late '40s-early '60s head configuration fits me and provides an excellent autopilot shave. I packed all my razors except one into storage before a bathroom remodel and almost grabbed the Aristocrat, but chose a user grade C1 Red Tip (I have a nicer spare) to avoid the Aristocrat from getting knocked off the crowded sink in the tiny shared bathroom.

Top Bottom