What's new

your go to de blade

Got a self-generated sampler pack of blades rated highest in sharpness and smoothness. Tried Derbys - so-so. Tried Feathers - very nice. Tried 7 O'Clock Yellows - very nice and smooth. Settled on Super Iridiums - very nice, sharp and smooth. May try a few others in the future.

1. Bluebirds - smoothest, but not sharpest
2. Kai - in between
3. Feathers - sharpest, can cause irritation

Those are my top three in order.

You know you're going to find supporters for just about all blades...except Merkurs of course ;-)

I prefer Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows, with DORCO ST-301s as my second choice. For me, the Gillette yellows are both sharp and smooth, the DORCOs aren't as sharp but are extremely smooth.

My personal no-gos are Derbys, Crystals, Astras, and DORCO ST-300 (contrary to a thread here's claims, they are not the same as the 301s). Haven't tried the rest...yet.

You know you're going to find supporters for just about all blades...except Merkurs of course ;-)

true true but i can get an idea of the betters i think im going to order 10 packs of each of the blades named and try them then go into bulk orders of 100

I suppose Derby will always be my go to blade. They work really well for me in all my razors. When I first started wet-shaving, a good friend of mine (member barcochris) and I split 200. Shortly after I joined Badger & Blade, member Homebrewer PIF'd my another 100. I have enough Derbys to last me a long time.

DL

Crystal (though I bought my 100 lot under the 'IP' guise) for open comb razors like the NEW or my beloved Tuckaway.

Feather or Kai for TTO's and the Slant-hammer.

With me it depends on the razor. I use Feathers in my Blue Tip and my Flare Tip, and either Red Pack IP or Gillette 7 o'clock greens in my Red Tip and my Slim. Once upon a time I thought Derby's were the best, but I just finished a 9 day run of Derby's with a couple of different razors, and they've fallen into the "use 'em if I don't have anything better" category...

Top Bottom