What's new

Your favourite Merkur Progress settings

Hi Mark,

I use my progress the same as a futur. On 3, set and forget.

Sometimes I set them down to 2.5 but only sometimes

Well, I went for a more aggressive opening pass this morning.

Yes!

It felt great shaving with the grain at 5 (I decided to make the jump rather than going from 3 to 4) and the Progress seems to cut smoother for me at this higher number. Same smoothness again with the final, across the grain pass, this time going down to my favourite setting of 3 there.

Earlier I compared it with the Futur and another advantage this razor has over the Futur (for me!) is that I find it easier around the nose. I mentioned this yesterday evening to Claus, but I have to hold my nose tip up and to the side in order to get that awkward area shaved with the Futur and I can sometimes give myself a little nick there as the larger head has to be pushed around. Although I stopped the nicks by lowering the Futur to 1 on the setting just for here, I don't have to do anything with the Progress - no nose holding or adjusting and a clean shave. The smaller head is much more manoeuvrable.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help. The Progress is a very enjoyable razor and I think I've found my best set-up with it at 5-3 :w00t:

Mark

What's the logic behind turning it up for the last passes? For me, I need it mild for ATG. I start whacking the stubble on a higher setting and dial it down.

Top Bottom