What's new

Your favourite Merkur Progress settings

Hello folks,

I'm interested to know what you Progress shavers set this razor to. I will be coming to mine later from a 39C Slant or Tradere Open Comb and use a Futur at 3 so that is my usual aggressiveness level. I'm interested to know if the Progress will be around this or maybe milder.

What are your settings for the Progress and do you change it at all during passes?

Thanks,

Mark

Dial the Progress at 1 and you get a setting similar to a Super Adjustable at 2. Dial it up to 6 and it puts a lot of aggressive razors to shame. It's pretty versatile, hefty, and has some nice balance. You'll like it.
I usually start at 3-4, dial down to 2 and blade buff with 1.

Thank you both.

It's interesting to hear various ideas for settings. I usually shave in two passes, with and across the grain, so I'll try adjusting it in-between these to see how that works out.

Cheers,

Mark

almost always between 2 and 3. The Progress is my favorite razor. Does any other razor curve blades like the Progress does?

Last edited:
2. My first shave began set at 3 and it was too much. I backed it off to 2 and it's just right. It's been there ever since.

It's wonderful to read the variety of setting and changes people enjoy during their shaves.

Thanks for the advice, folks - it's appreciated and I look forward to trying out my Progress later. It certainly appears to be a very popular razor :001_cool:

Mark

I use a 1 for the first pass then a 3 for the second pass. Am i doing it right?

That's the fun thing about it all. As well as those who stay with the same setting, I see folk who turn it to more aggressiveness during their shave and others who go milder.

If it's working for you, and enjoyable, then surely it's right!

To test mine out, later, I'm going to try just about every combination I can come up with :laugh:

Mark

Three shaves in with the Progress....

Usually, I am a two-pass wet shaver going with and across the grain so these are my own personal (very early) thoughts;

The Progress is an excellent razor. Although they're different and maybe don't stand up to a square comparison, I prefer it to the Futur for the head size being easier worked around my sideburns and hooter. In this longer version, it also seems to have a cosier grip and balance. For me!

First one, I was getting my feet and stayed with the same setting for both passes - at number 3. No irritation and a close enough shave here.

Second time out, a number 3 finishing off by going up to a 4. Not for me as I got a little of the infamous red irritation on my right neck side. I never have any bother on the left but my right side is an excellent test-bed for any errors! I knew it was coming during the shave as it felt different.

This morning, a number 3 finishing off by going down to a 2. Went alright too, with no irritation of fuss but the finish is not as clean everywhere. A little too mild for my liking.

Early plans are to stay with 3 for my finishing, across the grain, pass. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong, and this wouldn't be the first time, but now I will experiment with the first pass to see if a more aggressive approach helps there. All being well tomorrow's shave will be a 4-3 or maybe a 5-3. Anyway, the main thing is that the Progress is a super razor and I enjoy the feel of it.

Mark

Top Bottom