What's new

Your Favorite Tibam Handles? | Pictures Please | Why?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What are your favorite Tibam handles?

The ones I have are great. It's hard to tell as much about them as I'd like on the vendor's store. I'm interested in how they look, how they customize (meaning I like to order them at a length of ~80 mm), their grip, their ergonomics, etc.

Here are a couple of mine.

10-1-21.Blackbird.Tibam.NY.Custom.Stand.640.JPG

This one is a custom made to fit the Blackbird 80 mm New York handle. The neck is 8 mm and fits up into the baseplate just like the stock Blackbird handle. While I like the looks of the stock handle I prefer shorter handles and I also like fatter handles.

Used to be I was not a fan of the looks of the NY handle, but that's changed. It's an excellent handle. The stand is the NY stand.

I have at least one or two other NY handles.

12-6-21.ATT.CR1.Radiator.SS-NIL.Zenith.Unbleached.640.JPG12-2-21.Tibam.Radiator.Set.640.JPG

This is the Radiator handle. It is loaded with fins which looks cool according to me. (I was concerned it might look busy but it looks great to me in real life on a razor head.) It has very decent grip, too, although everything is smooth, probably due to the fins. This one, too, is ~80 mm, and was custom ordered.

The vendor does not up the price when you order custom variations of his standard offerings.

I'm interested in acquiring another Tibam titanium handle or two, maybe, and interested in which of the Tibam handles you have experience with and like (and don't like) and why.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I only have one Tibam, a sample 12 made to 85mm which is my personal preference for length. It's definitely my favorite DE handle out of all my other makes.

20210928_153300.jpg

As for why... for me the whole is greater than the sum of it's attributes. The weight, beauty and grip when paired with my Lupo 95 just seems perfect. I find myself reaching for thIs combo for more than 75% of my shaves. In fact, my last 5 shaves this week were Lupo/Tibam/Nacet.

The Tibam was one of the best shaving kit purchases I've made. I'm sure to pick up another eventually.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I only have one Tibam, a sample 12 made to 85mm which is my personal preference for length. It's definitely my favorite DE handle out of all my other makes.

View attachment 1376782

As for why... for me the whole is greater than the sum of it's attributes. The weight, beauty and grip when paired with my Lupo 95 just seems perfect. I find myself reaching for thIs combo for more than 75% of my shaves. In fact, my last 5 shaves this week were Lupo/Tibam/Nacet.

The Tibam was one of the best shaving kit purchases I've made. I'm sure to pick up another eventually.

Very nice.

It's one I've definitely considered if it would look good in the ~80 mm length. What do you think?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Very nice.

It's one I've definitely considered if it would look good in the ~80 mm length. What do you think?

Happy shaves,

Jim
I think it would look fine depending on his approach. On my 85mm, he recommended removing 2 of the rings at the bottom for a proper proportional look. I think the 100mm had 6 rings. For 80mm, would he take another ring or shorten the grip section? Perhaps it might be wise to inquire for his recommendation.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think it would look fine depending on his approach. On my 85mm, he recommended removing 2 of the rings at the bottom for a proper proportional look. I think the 100mm had 6 rings. For 80mm, would he take another ring or shorten the grip section? Perhaps it might be wise to inquire for his recommendation.

Great idea. Thanks.

There are other Tibam handles which look pretty good, too. I'm hoping to hear more about them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Two Tibam handles 12x75 (top)

Two rusdrunkbear handles 12x75 and 10x80 (bottom)

All are custom dimensions.

C009D734-F76E-416E-8359-66D4E4C1C183.jpeg

I like them all. The lightly diamond scored (third down) is the least grippy, but they are all plenty grippy for me. 12mm is as thick as I want. I have a variety of SS handles at 10mm and like them very well. The additional lightness of Ti seems unnecessary by the time the diameter drops to 10mm.

The looks of the top Tibam really appeal to me. In use it has a secure and comfortable grip. 75mm is an ideal length for me.

I have 3 of them, from left to right:

New York
Sample 12
Prague

Each of them is 14mm in diameter at the base and 80mm long (my preferred length). Weight varies, from left to right again, at 37g, 40g and 43g.

I like them all, but find the Prague noticeably heavier than I would like. If I can start all over, I would probably have requested for a 13mm thick handle for the Prague to take the weight down slightly. All are grippy enough and perfect for the stainless steel heads that I match them to: GC 84, Hawk A and Stando Polska Chors

Attachments

• image_67159041.JPG
    image_67159041.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Two Tibam handles 12x75 (top)

Two rusdrunkbear handles 12x75 and 10x80 (bottom)

All are custom dimensions.

View attachment 1376877

I like them all. The lightly diamond scored (third down) is the least grippy, but they are all plenty grippy for me. 12mm is as thick as I want. I have a variety of SS handles at 10mm and like them very well. The additional lightness of Ti seems unnecessary by the time the diameter drops to 10mm.

The looks of the top Tibam really appeal to me. In use it has a secure and comfortable grip. 75mm is an ideal length for me.

Thanks. I'd wondered about the grip on the top handle.

One thing I like about my Radiator handle is how the pattern is the same all the way down the handle. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a pattern which changes of course as I like those too sometimes.

I have 3 of them, from left to right:

New York
Sample 12
Prague

Each of them is 14mm in diameter at the base and 80mm long (my preferred length). Weight varies, from left to right again, at 37g, 40g and 43g.

I like them all, but find the Prague noticeably heavier than I would like. If I can start all over, I would probably have requested for a 13mm thick handle for the Prague to take the weight down slightly. All are grippy enough and perfect for the stainless steel heads that I match them to: GC 84, Hawk A and Stando Polska Chors

The Prague handle is new to me. Interesting how it looks visually fatter than the others. If you hadn't already given the handles's measurements I'd ask you to measure them. I agree that 13 mm might be better for that one.

Somewhere I've seen a post and photo concerning several handles all of which are in one of the Tibam patterns. Their lengths and diameters vary. One handle is super fat. I can't find the post though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks. I'd wondered about the grip on the top handle.

One thing I like about my Radiator handle is how the pattern is the same all the way down the handle. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a pattern which changes of course as I like those too sometimes.

The Prague handle is new to me. Interesting how it looks visually fatter than the others. If you hadn't already given the handles's measurements I'd ask you to measure them. I agree that 13 mm might be better for that one.

Somewhere I've seen a post and photo concerning several handles all of which are in one of the Tibam patterns. Their lengths and diameters vary. One handle is super fat. I can't find the post though.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It indeed is 14mm as I specifically requested for one in 14mm to fit the New York stand that I've gotten :) Probably a matter of my lack of photography skill.

Would definitely have gone with 13mm with a taper to 14mm to fit the stand instead (if that can be done even). Good excuse to get another handle from Tibam I guess. They are really great value!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It indeed is 14mm as I specifically requested for one in 14mm to fit the New York stand that I've gotten :) Probably a matter of my lack of photography skill.

Would definitely have gone with 13mm with a taper to 14mm to fit the stand instead (if that can be done even). Good excuse to get another handle from Tibam I guess. They are really great value!

I think it's just an optical delusion.

LOL, it took this thread to remind me that I've had a Sample 12 from TiBam since last March that I haven't even used. I simply have no razor head that "makes sense" to use with it as I have severely downsized my razor arsenal. I own only two razors, one single edge (polished Blackland Vector), one DE (H&SCo Z075-ti). I honestly have no desire to buy anything new until/unless we ever get a Rocnel Sailor in full titanium.

Very timely post, I need a shorter handle for my Yates. Looks like a handle that would fit a Yates will also fit the Blackbird I am getting for Christmas. Anyone have a brass Tibam New York model in brass 80-85mm length that could give me a weight on the handle?

Hey Jim, know you recently got a handle from Tibam, about how long did it take to receive?

Thanks fellas.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very timely post, I need a shorter handle for my Yates. Looks like a handle that would fit a Yates will also fit the Blackbird I am getting for Christmas. Anyone have a brass Tibam New York model in brass 80-85mm length that could give me a weight on the handle?

Hey Jim, know you recently got a handle from Tibam, about how long did it take to receive?

Thanks fellas.

I think it was a lot longer than the last handle I ordered (which wasn't very long ago). I think maybe the last Tibam took close to a month to reach me. The one before was maybe a couple of weeks. Don't hold me to the exact time, but I'm close enough for government work.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Will Tibam do a Radiator in brass instead of Ti, and make it in 75mm length as that shorter length is more appealing than 100mm. Also what is the largest diameter they’d do 15mm? I like short fat and heavy handles.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Will Tibam do a Radiator in brass instead of Ti, and make it in 75mm length as that shorter length is more appealing than 100mm. Also what is the largest diameter they’d do 15mm? I like short fat and heavy handles.

I don't know, but probably.

10-1-21.tibamFor.B3.NY.640.Base:Stand..JPG
10-1-21.Blackbird.Tibam.NY.Custom.Stand.640.JPG

This is an ~80 mm NY handle with a custom 8 mm neck to fit my Blackbird.​

Ask the vendor on eBay. He will get back with you.

Tibam Radiator Handle and Stand.480.jpg

I think he'll do anything reasonable with his standard designs. Length, width, etc. I've had him do a couple of custom modifications - length & neck - without incurring any up-charges. He's very accommodating.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't know, but probably.

View attachment 1380847View attachment 1380848

This is an ~80 mm NY handle with a custom 8 mm neck to fit my Blackbird.​

Ask the vendor on eBay. He will get back with you.

View attachment 1380846

I think he'll do anything reasonable with his standard designs. Length, width, etc. I've had him do a couple of custom modifications - length & neck - without incurring any up-charges. He's very accommodating.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I didn’t realize the Blackland Blackbird used a proprietary size handle. I know when I got mine last year it fit in several razors I tried which surprised me as Shane? from Blackland mentions on his website about his handles only being compatible with his own brand of razors. I was also surprised when I did a handle swap from a bunch of my razors that were compatible 100% with Fatip which usually uses a weird thread size. The Blackbird and Dart handle fit it perfectly which surprised me.

Was there a reason for the 8mm neck modification to fit the Blackbird? What is the standard size most manufacturers use?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I didn’t realize the Blackland Blackbird used a proprietary size handle.
It doesn’t. But there is a recess on the baseplate, where a thinner tip on the BB handle fits. You can use any standard handle, but it has to work with the baseplate. If it’s wider than the hole it will work fine as well. No different than using a modern stainless handle with a NEW LC.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I didn’t realize the Blackland Blackbird used a proprietary size handle. I know when I got mine last year it fit in several razors I tried which surprised me as Shane? from Blackland mentions on his website about his handles only being compatible with his own brand of razors. I was also surprised when I did a handle swap from a bunch of my razors that were compatible 100% with Fatip which usually uses a weird thread size. The Blackbird and Dart handle fit it perfectly which surprised me.

Was there a reason for the 8mm neck modification to fit the Blackbird? What is the standard size most manufacturers use?

As far as I know the Blackbird handles will work with most razors, maybe all razors, other than non-standard sized threads like Fatip uses.

Handles.Blackbird.WRA2.WSC:CG.Aluminum.RR-Ti.640.JPG

If you look at the neck of a Blackbird handle you'll see how it is narrower than many handles.

Some other handles will fit into and secure the BB baseplate as well as the BB.

From Left to Right these - 1,3,5 - will work. The others won't fit down into the baseplate's hole. Perhaps wide necked handles will secure the baseplate, too, but I don't have experience with that. Ask Shane if you want to know exactly how it works.
  1. The Blackbird (of course)
  2. Wolfman
  3. WCS CG
  4. A custom aluminum
  5. The RR titanium halo.
Don't go thinking I know anything. There may be other ways of securing the Blackbird baseplate. I only know about how to duplicate the neck of the original Blackbird, and had that custom NY Tibam handle made to suit my needs for a fat and short dedicated BB handle.

7-14-21.CH3.Best.Blackbird-on-HALO.Vitos.640.JPG
See how the Halo handle works?

It's just too long for my tastes.​
BlackbirdBaseplate.RR-Ti-HALO.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
The Blackbird baseplate has a rather deep hole for the handle, the upper ends of many handles are too thick or too short for it.
Yeah I’ve tried the Blackbird and Dart handle on other razor heads, but I never tried other handles on the Blackland razor heads.

Top Bottom