What's new

Your favorite gillette super speed razor is?

My birth quarter C4 Flare Tip. Always special to have a birth year or relative’s razor. History adds to the experience. Needless to say, this is also a great shaving razor for me.

My ranking in order.
Red Tip: The thicker handle makes makes it the best of them, also possibly slightly more aggressive.
'50s Flare: Almost as good as the Red
40s style with date code all brass: Same head as the 50s flare handle not quite as good.
60s Flare: Same handle as 50s Head slightly milder.
40s Style NDC: Ever so slightly milder than the date code version.
80s Black handle: Feels cheaper than 70s, but somehow seems to shave better for me.
70s Black handle: Nothing wrong with this razor, just so many to choose from some have to come in at the bottom of the list.
Aluminum Black Tip: Nice shaver same head as date code 40s and a more head heavy design. Just loses a few points for possible corrosion of aluminum and usually some steel parts.
Steel Black Tip: Weighted and shaves almost almost exactly like the date code 40s just losses points for possible rusting.
Still haven't tried a Blue Tip or a no notch 47 so I can't rank them.
All and all I'm more than happy to shave with any Super Speed and can get a great easy shave from them. Even the worst of them are still great razors.

I used to think that I preferred the Blue Tip and the Red Tip over the '40s and Flare Tip. To test this I spent a couple of weeks shaving with all of them. If I have to shave every day I might as well keep it interesting. In the end I realized that I like all of them! Sure they all shave a little differently and require different techniques. In the end they all deliver when it counts.

Now if I had to pic a favorite it would be the Blue Tip. Its such an underrated razor and does a magnificent job, especially paired with a sharp blade.

Which one do you favor? These were made from the 1940's through the 1980's in several varieties. There was the 40's style, the black handle, the black tip, blue tip, red tip and flair

I favor a steel handle 40's style from 1951. Always gives a nice shave. Let's here your choice
I have a B-2 blue tip that I've found that I use more than the other Super Speeds that I own (flare and red). I'm certain that most people will say the red tip though.

I have always gotten great shaves from the 47' Milord and then I got a 47' SS this week and wow, even better. Same razor except one is gold plated but the regular SS did a better job. My 54' Flaretip is the next best shaver. Gotta love these vintage razors!

I was never a fan of the superspeed, i had a 50s era one that was to mild to shave with, in addition all the clones, weishi, vdh, mto were just as mild. Not to long ago I picked up a 76 (w1) black superspeed, birth year razor and it although mild is more efficient and I shave with it quite often, so the 76 superspeed is definately my favorite.

I have to be true to my shiny birth quarter TV special. And it twists as smooth as silk since I put a small drop of oil into the cap. I wish a drop of oil would make my knees as good as new.:001_07:

Gillette English Parat, the cousin of the 1947-1953 Super Speed. By the way, I don’t like to refer to the US version as so-called 40’s style. They are straight Tip Super Speeds. Of pre- flare tip.

Gillette English Parat, the cousin of the 1947-1953 Super Speed. By the way, I don’t like to refer to the US version as so-called 40’s style. They are straight Tip Super Speeds. Of pre- flare tip.
I prefer the 47-54 type handles. BTW, it was a very nice Krona that I bought from you, not a SS.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My favorite is the one I'm using at the moment ... Gillette got it so very right and mass produced millions of Super Speed razors for many generations to enjoy!

Top Bottom