What's new

Your favorite gillette super speed razor is?

Tough call.

I really like my Red Tips but pre-datecode 40s are great and then there is my Rocket HD that I still consider a SuperSpeed.

I'd say those 3 are all tied up. :001_smile:

Which one do you favor? These were made from the 1940's through the 1980's in several varieties. There was the 40's style, the black handle, the black tip, blue tip, red tip and flair

I favor a steel handle 40's style from 1951. Always gives a nice shave. Let's here your choice

My 1960 Flare-Tip.. Smooth and easy...

From a collection of '47, '51 steel black tip, '54 Blue tip, '56 Red Tip and '62 Flair tip, I would have to give the edge to the 51 Black Tip followed by the red tip. All are highly valued however.

1940's hands down

Attachments

• $Newbie Razor (12).jpg
    $Newbie Razor (12).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 143
It is hard to go wrong with a Super Speed, but if pressed to chose just one, it would be a ‘46.5 or 1946 and a half. What is this you say? Well as it turns out there are really two 1947s. One with a1946 head on a 1947 handle and the other has the creased style head. Both sport the un-notched center bar.

1946.5 Super Speed
attachment.php

1947 Super Speed
attachment.php

I've only used one Gillette SS - my 1954 flare tip. The other DE razor I've used is c.1946 Gillette Milord. I love the '54 SS. It is not as agressive as the Milord but it is more forgiving. I'm going to try and get a blue tip and a red tip SS off of E-bay for comparison's sake and also just for kicks and giggles. It's gonna be hard to beat that '54 flare tip, though. It's my everyday razor and I've got a lot of trust built up in it after only 3 months or so of use.

Blue Tip is the only one I've tried so far that I remotely like, and I've tried several. The Krona kicks their butt IMO.

I just had to go look at my no notch Super Speed. Looks like I have the early style 1946 1/2 style head. And to think I was going to give that to my Stepson later this week after I got it cleaned up. I guess he will get the A4 flare tip SS instead.

I have 3 as you can see from my sig. The Black tip seems just a hair more aggressive (which in this case I like). I haven't got a lot of time with them apart from the '69 though. I just don't think Gillette made a bad razor period. Different sure, better.....maybe, or maybe just different. :wink2:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My birth year/quarter flare tip.

Attachments

• 470D8B09-C53D-4105-95CD-2EEC0E8F15F2.jpeg
    470D8B09-C53D-4105-95CD-2EEC0E8F15F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My favorite Super Speed is my W-2 Steel Tip Super Speed. The tip is actual nickel plated brass.
Pictured below next to a Black Tip Super Speed for comparison.
20180413_230004.jpg

Top Bottom