What's new

Your favorite chronograph?

My favorite chrono depends on who your are.

If you have a job paying $100,000/yr, I'm sure the flashiest, most blinged-out Rolex chrono will be the ticket. A white gold Daytona complete with Pandora wrist dangles would be your best friend. Everybody will love your watch.

If you have a Wall Street job selling mortgage backed securities to retirement funds that only carry a 24% chance of default, then I'm sure you'll opt for the Audemars Piquet Royal Oak Offshore. Only 1% of the population will know what your watch is.

If you are a rock star, royalty, or have a eight figure trust fund burning a hole in your pocket, it's the A. Lange and Sohne Double Split in stainless steel you'll want. Only 1/10 of 1% has any idea who A. Lange and Sohne is.

Last edited:
My only chronograph is a Seiko quartz panda dial, like this one
$quartz_chrono-16.jpg
True story of how I got it: About a decade ago, I bought a $19.00 watch at Meijers. It was a calendar watch that has two sub-dials, one for day and one for month, plus a date window. The battery died within a month, so I took it back to Meijers to have them change the battery (this was back when they did that... they don't anymore). The associate put the watch in this vice like contraption that was supposed to pop the back of the watch off so the battery could be replaced. Instead, the whole watch just fell apart. The associate called the store manager, who then told me to pick out another watch. "Any watch?" I asked. "Any watch", the manager replyed. So, I picked the most expensive watch at the counter, the Seiko chronograph, which had a price tag of $150. I wore that watch every day for about 8 years, until I got tired of it, and like johnmrson said, the chronograph function was something I never used. I still have it, though I haven't worn it it a few years, and I'm toying with the idea of possibly selling it and using the money to buy a Seiko 5 series automatic.

Yes my next bike is a Ducati! My buddy just got a monster 1100 and that thing screams! And it's so comfortable with a pretty upright riding position. I want!

Great watch!

My favorite chrono depends on who your are.

If you have a job paying $100,000/yr, I'm sure the flashiest, most blinged-out Rolex chrono will be the ticket. A white gold Daytona complete with Pandora wrist dangles would be your best friend. Everybody will love your watch.

If you have a Wall Street job selling mortgage backed securities to retirement funds that only carry a 24% chance of default, then I'm sure you'll opt for the Audemars Piquet Royal Oak Offshore. Only 1% of the population will know what your watch is.

If you are a rock star, royalty, or have a eight figure trust fund burning a hole in my pocket, it's the A. Lange and Sohne Double Split in stainless steel you'll want. Only 1/10 or 1% has any idea who A. Lange and Sohne is.

I'm not exactly sure of the point of your post, but if you can find a Doppelsplit in Stainless Steel please let me know.

Last edited:
Mine is the Meistersinger Singular.

proxy.php

I have the original black dial, and I think it is beautiful.
The idea of such an understated 30 minute chrono is really Nice.

I've been drawn to Omega Speedmasters for some time now and always thought I would get one in the next year or two, then they went and released the Speedmaster '57 and now I have 2 problems....

1). The new '57 is looks amazing and it now has the Omega co-axial 9300 movement and I would have to buy that i.e. no other Speedmaster options would do!
2). Its probably going to be twice the price of the current Speedmaster variants being offered, ah well, better keep up my shave sabbatical to keep the bank balance heading in the right direction.

(Photo from the Omega website)

I've tried it on and next to my 9300 Speedy, it looks bigger even though it is 3mm smaller. In person it just doesn't flow as well as the bigger watch does. The Fiancee thought the same.

I want to pick up one of these Daytona Chronos to go along with the 9300:

proxy.php

$2014-02-03_19-01-18_167_zpsmnwhrwdb.jpg

Casio G-Shock DW-5000. The original G-Shock from 1983. It needs a bezel and band, but the OEM units aren't made any longer and are as rare as rocking horse poo. It's pretty nice though.

Top Bottom