What's new

Your Dream Straight Razor

Curious about Damascus Steel SRs. I wonder how they shave. Given that they have different steel all along the edge. It will dull faster in some parts than the other I would imagine. I also imagine some parts of the blade will dull faster than another. That is primarily why I have stayed away from them. They are gorgeous for sure. I'm not sure how practical they are though as a daily. Maybe those of you with damascus steel SRs can chime in on this and tell me if I am wrong?
Not sure, but you can get San Mai billets that have Damascus in the upper layers and a mono steel for the edge. I would recommend this if you wanted the look but were concerned about the edge. I have attached a picture of one of mine, for reference.
proxy.php

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Not sure, but you can get San Mai billets that have Damascus in the upper layers and a mono steel for the edge.
proxy.php

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
I have a vintage blade made of Damascus steel. Once honed, the Damascus pattern is not evident, I think it has to do with the fact that freshly polished steel in all the layers look the same.
So I suspect your blade is all Damascus, it just does not show on the edge.
If you were to buff the blade, I am pretty sure the whole Damascus thing would also become invisible.
Honed.jpg

That looks like a Dylan farnhan razor to me.

Bingo. I went searching his name after you posted that and found the razor, already sold with this description: 'STONE-AGE' COPPER & GOLD PLATED CUSTOM STRAIGHT RAZOR

And the price was $2,400. I could never afford his razors, let alone even justify one because I can't shave with a straight edge. But if I did, I'd want one just like it. He does do some pretty amazing work.

Bingo. I went searching his name after you posted that and found the razor, already sold with this description: 'STONE-AGE' COPPER & GOLD PLATED CUSTOM STRAIGHT RAZOR

And the price was $2,400. I could never afford his razors, let alone even justify one because I can't shave with a straight edge. But if I did, I'd want one just like it. He does do some pretty amazing work.
Wait, why can’t you shave with a straight edge?

Top Bottom