What's new

Your best money is no object shaving cream?

@Goatrope if you research SMN, there used to be discussions if it was the same base as Proraso, made by the same company. The old Omega cream in the tube was also rumoured to be identical.

Packaging/Branding goes a long way to elevate people's perception. For me, Proraso Blue stands above Pens BB and SMN and the metal tube is something not many tube cream makers are still doing.

@Chef455 NB is highly underrated and under discussed. It's a shame they no longer ship across the border. It can be used brushless but I always used a brush. Signature & Replenishing are both fantastic.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I am unable to disconnect from the reality that money will always be an object of consideration for me, even for daily things I can easily afford (like a $2 Timmies coffee). It stems from being VERY short of funds during my college years in the mid-80s.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I probably shouldn't have entered the discussion since I was putting in my 2 cents worth based on threads I've read and not personal experience.

I've heard so many good things about Proraso creams that I will probably buy a tube of it when I do some traveling. At home I just use soaps.

Last edited:
2 euro Proraso works so wonderfully that I got mad when I spent 30 on MWF.

Call me cheap, 10 euros is my limit. (Be careful Cella, you’re almost out)

Another suggestion for a splurge on a cream, a NOS Penhaligon's

PenhaligonBB.jpg

It’s all relative to your financial situation. There was a time that 50.00 for a cream would have not been in my budget. Now I wouldn’t do it all the time, but I don’t buy many shaving items these days.

It’s like paint, I have friends that complain about the cost. I will spend an extra 20.00 per gallon on something that I only do every 4 or 5 years.

I have tried a lot of expensive creams over the years. Did they perform better than my green tube Proraso? Hmmm... not really. That remains my money is no object cream.

Looking for something luxurious as a late bday gift to myself. I know aqua di parma is pricey but I’m not sure if it’s as good as it was years ago, so what else is out there that’s an absolute treat? I’m more keen on a cream over a soap these days FWIW.
When I think of outstanding shave creams most fall in the "budget" category. From my experience price doesn't seem to be a big factor with creams. Some of the best are very inexpensive. TOBS shaving creams and GFT creams are all excellent. And truthfully, Nivea shave cream is dirt cheap and an excellent cream.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Yeah I’m not sure why this became a discussion of people’s personal spending habits. I don’t mean to be rude in saying it and too direct , but I don’t care about your spending habits. Just looking to treat myself here.
Exactly! I don't criticize what anyone else spends on anything, either here or in real life. Everyone gets to make their own decisions.

How does this one stack against the British creams? I never heard of it.
I haven't used it in a while due to the shipping restrictions. I think they were getting scammed by people saying they didn't get it, when they in fact did.

But it held its own against GFT, TOBS and Harris. You can't really go wrong with any of those in my eyes. GFT Coconut and TOBS Avocado were my favorites.

What I liked about NB, besides the performance, was the small shop service, natural ingredients and the scent. It always flew under the radar and stayed out of drama unless someone took offense to the brand name/owners.

Top Bottom