What's new

You have to give an open comb a shot!

I've been a lurker (and gung-ho DE shaver) for about a year and a half now. I've never really had to post any questions because I seemed to always find the answers (well, definitely an IMHO or two {along with the semi-mandatory YMMVs}) here somewhere. (Btw, thanks for your great help!) Though I definitely have succumbed to minor cases of SSAD, SCAD, RBAD, and to some extent ASAD, I have managed to avoid RAD as I felt my one and only Muhle R89 was a pretty fine razor.

Well, I finally broke down and purchased an OC - a Merkur 11C...

Just did my first shave with it and was really, really, happy with it. (Ran it with a "safe" Red IP, though I do prefer Feathers with my R89.) This, after a year and a half of fairly consistent DFSs, was my first near-BBS. Three passes - WTG, XTG, and GTX - and amazing results. Had one spot of minor razor burn, but nothing to cry about.

I now fear I may be looking into those old Gillette OCs that I have heard about while lurking...

So, if you have not yet tried an OC, I have to encourage you to give it a shot!

Recent Ikon acquisitions forced me to reacquaint myself with OC and I must admit I prefer OC. It is especially superior (for me) on the neck where my stubborn hairs refuse to stand up and where I often suffer razor burn and is the only place I ever draw blood. My favourite OC razors (at the moment) are the Goodfella and the Merkur 1904. (And I have an r41 en route!)

Attachments

• $Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 5.12.38 PM.jpg
    $Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 5.12.38 PM.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 231
  • $Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 5.11.57 PM.jpg
    $Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 5.11.57 PM.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 233
I also have just started shaving with an open comb and the difference is pretty amazing. I get a perfect, BBS shave in two (sometimes 2-1/2) careful passes, and that includes a perfect shave on my neck, which I was rarely able to achieve with a closed comb.. There's definitely a learning curve, but I think it's worth it. For the record, I have been using a Joris, tried a Gillette NEW (but prefer the Joris) and have a Muhle R41 on the way.

I own a Merkur 1904 OC and it did get those under the chin hairs easier than my DE89.

But recently, I purchased a GEM Micromatic OC and I was SHOCKED! BBS with my usual 3 passes- 2 passes would probably do!

So don't forget about SE OC razors!

Once I discovered an OC, all the solid guard razors in my collection just became trade stock. I love an OC, and agree with the sentiment that razor technology could have stopped at the NEW with not great loss to society.
Johnnie

Okay. I have a few Gillette OC razors: NEW bar handle both long and short combs, an OLD thin-cap with a ball end handle, and an OLD single ring. What I don't have are any modern OC razors. For March OC month I think I need a new one. Don't you agree? But which one? My budget is around $40, so Joris is out. The Merkur #41 (aka 1904) is pretty. And the 15C is just classic looking. Are there others that I ought to consider? The Muhle are a bit out of the price range, but they sure are tempting.

I use a Gillette Sheraton regularly and it gives a great shave. I hope I'm working that well when *I'm* 75 years old.

I have a short-comb OC that doesn't feel particularly good on my face, but Shanman sent me a long-comb OC and it feels much better - a very nice razor.

Well, I just spent more than a few hours entering the world of vintage razors and the bay known as e. An interesting world...

It looks like a long comb NEW is ready to debit the ol' paybuddy account.

I'm still learning, but also noticed there are Aristocrats that come with an OC. Hmmmm...

Thanks for the heads up regarding the March OC thread - need to get off the razor database and give it a read.

A Joris is next on my list!!!

Yes that is so tempting. When I first started traditional shaving I was hesitant about open combs, but these days I am really enjoying the whole experience of using an open comb.

Now I have two with a third on the way and often find myself wondering about a Joris.

I hate RAD.

OGG: The only open-comb I can compare my Joris to is a Gillette "New", and the Joris feels more aggressive to me. It is also a beautiful and beautifully-made razor. Mine is the lined barrel design with the Palladium finish.

I definitely endorse open combs. It's what I started with (mine is also an 11C), and I think the performance is terrific and mild, for me at least. Glad to see them getting some deserved recognition!

My Futur is what I am using primarily, but it takes more concentration to avoid mistakes. The 11C is a razor I can almost use blindfolded!

Can somebody tell me the practical difference between long and short comb OC razors (beyond the obvious)?

They really are quite different razors. I don't know the history, but Gillette had two completely different designs for the heads. The cap on the short comb is slightly flatter. And the base plates have a very different profile. As for the difference in the shave, I prefer my long comb over the short, but, as usual, YMMV.

UPDATE: One thought -- If you are going to try to find one or the other, I'd STRONGLY recommend you avoid the 'Bay and, instead, try to get one from the WTB. The sellers over on eBay mostly can't tell a Slim from a Fatboy. Telling a long comb from a short would be mission impossible.

UPDATE II: I thought that the only thing the two razors had in common was the bar handle. Becuase of this thread, I was playing with my two razors and noticed that even the handles are different. The very top of the short comb handle measures 8.4 mm while the long comb handle is 10.0 mm at the top. The 10 mm handle won't fit on the short comb razor as the hole in the bottom plate is too narrow.

Last edited:
Can somebody tell me the practical difference between long and short comb OC razors (beyond the obvious)?

When used to the maximum of the their ability (meaning, you have the blade angle high enough that you are relying on the cap of the razor and not the combs) there is no practical difference between the two. A long comb will give you more margin of error if you get sloppy, or try to use it like a newer Gillette, Merkur etc.

The best analogy I can give you is you must treat a Gillette OC razor like you do a Feather AS-D1 when it comes to blade angle. Consider the safety bar (Feather) or combs (Gillette OC) to only be there for when you mess up. When you do this, you'll get incredibly close shaves, and your blades will last longer too, since they are attacking the hair at an angle where they are slicing the hair straight-on, rather and bending the hair over and cutting (which damaged the edge of the blade quicker).

When used to the maximum of the their ability (meaning, you have the blade angle high enough that you are relying on the cap of the razor and not the combs) there is no practical difference between the two. A long comb will give you more margin of error if you get sloppy, or try to use it like a newer Gillette, Merkur etc.

The best analogy I can give you is you must treat a Gillette OC razor like you do a Feather AS-D1 when it comes to blade angle. Consider the safety bar (Feather) or combs (Gillette OC) to only be there for when you mess up. When you do this, you'll get incredibly close shaves, and your blades will last longer too, since they are attacking the hair at an angle where they are slicing the hair straight-on, rather and bending the hair over and cutting (which damaged the edge of the blade quicker).

This is a perfect explanation that not only answered my specific question, but others I have had in my head as well. I've only been using a DE for a month or so and have been using the advise of using an approximately 30 degree angle, but when I watch one of Mantic's videos, I note he is using something far closer to 45 degrees. I now understand that he is using his in a much more efficient manner than I am. I also learned that I probably need far more experience with my bar razors before attempting to use the long comb NEW I have on the way.

Thanks!

Top Bottom