What's new

You don’t get what you pay for

Status
Not open for further replies.
A myth, all too commonly believed in the wet shaving community, is that you get what you pay for. In my experience, this is not true 90% of the time. The best shaving equipment that I have enjoyed has been among the least expensive available.
Vintage Gillettes are the best values, often available for free or for a few bucks. A Tech or SuperSpeed will last a lifetime and give a great shave everyday. Avoid Fatboys and rare twist-to -opens that command high prices. Any old Schick injector will beat any nine-blade plastic wonder on the shelves today.
I’ve sampled most blades on the market. For my money Lord Platinums at 100 for $10 are the best value. Similarly priced Personna Blues (not the med preps or labs) are a close second.
I’ve tried high-end soaps but I can get a fine lather w bar soap scraps from the shower. Williams is great too. It is a matter of technique and being satisfied w good enough v the ultimate.
My mantra is keep it cheap, keep it simple. Luxury is for schmucks

Last edited:
zfuOq2rFBE7Kg.gif

I'd agree with the OP to the extent that some very economically priced gear will do a great job. But then again, it's up to individual taste how much more anybody wants to spend for the sake of luxury, or what they perceive to be luxury. Same as with cars, clothing, watches, homes, mobile phones and just about everything else.

Wow, there's a narrow view point? "Luxury is for schmucks". Makes me wonder how you view automobiles?
Same thing. There are scores of modestly priced cars that will carry 4 people and their stuff for 150,000 miles w nothing but routine maintenance and then there are luxury cars that will do the same thing at 3 or 4 or 10 times the price.

I agree. That’s why I shower outside in the rain. Dry spells are tough.

On the side, in the 1860s a US soldier was required to bathe every 6 months, whether he needed it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing. There are scores of modestly priced cars that will carry 4 people and their stuff for 150,000 miles w nothing but routine maintenance and then there are luxury cars that will do the same thing at 3 or 4 or 10 times the price.
Oh I couldn’t just sit back and watch. To your point. I have a 2004 Toyota Camry with 430,000 miles on it. I also have a 2016 Shelby Mustang. Do they both get from point A to point B. Yes they do. It is so much more fun and pleasurable in the Mustang.

I say this because I read this and other shave sites and I’m appalled by the one-upmans hip, the connoisseur-ism, the snobbery and the gross consumerism that afflicts wet-shaving. It’s a lot like wine, or cigars or the craft beer craziness right now. Good enough is never good enough. There’s always this newer thing that comes along, it usually costs more and if you don’t have it you’re a loser. Will a razor come along that shaves better than that old Gillette that your grandpa used, that’s in a drawer somewhere? Maybe, but I doubt it. Is a $100 badger brush twenty times better than my $5 boar brush. No. We make this activity so much more expensive and complicated than we have to. It’s just shaving guys.

I think the points were all valid and then he blew it in the last sentence. Cheap can work for most anyone but, as others pointed out higher priced stuff can make things even better.

These blades are way cheaper. Save yourself some money.

Also, can't go wrong with $1.57

I say this because I read this and other shave sites and I’m appalled by the one-upmans hip, the connoisseur-ism, the snobbery and the gross consumerism that afflicts wet-shaving. It’s a lot like wine, or cigars or the craft beer craziness right now. Good enough is never good enough. There’s always this newer thing that comes along, it usually costs more and if you don’t have it you’re a loser. Will a razor come along that shaves better than that old Gillette that your grandpa used, that’s in a drawer somewhere? Maybe, but I doubt it. Is a $100 badger brush twenty times better than my $5 boar brush. No. We make this activity so much more expensive and complicated than we have to. It’s just shaving guys.

Then why are you here? If we all used the same cheapest blade and leftover bar soap there would be no point in having a forum.

If you dont wish to partake, dont. But leave us be if we choose to partake.

Enjoy your mad dog 2020, your swisher sweets, and your Natty Ice.

It's true that there is some elitism and snobbery in this hobby in the high price direction. But you are doing the same thing in the other direction. Just as snobbish.

and since this forum is for all kinds of aspects and degrees of shaving, and not just the one cheapest route , maybe this area of the Internet is just not for you.

the cheapest way is a valid way, and there are probably some who need to know that a great shave can be gotten with inexpensive gear, but it's poor form, and elitist, to sit and say that it is the only way.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

In the end it is the result (a comfortable clean shave) which counts. Idiot enough I started my de/se trip with a 300 euro oneblade genesis and a qshave futul of 8 euros.
The genesis was coming from a Gillette easier. But in the end I learned better shaving from the qshave.
and if I was on a budget (or was not rad infected) I would have sticked to that qshave. Buyers remorse on some stuff yes but it was a learning expedition that you can find cheap and good. And of course enjoy some luxury in the process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom