What's new

“Yogurt’y lather”

Shannons and Stirling are my go-to soaps for creamy, slick and excellent lathers. Sure WK, A&E, Declaration etc. are all fantastic soaps, and I love those too. If you haven't tried Shannons, grab one. I don't know what magic she puts in her soaps, but that stuff is so dense and slick, and at $12 bucks a tub to boot!
I agree that Shannon's and Stirling are the best 2 soaps out there for a smoother & more comfortable shave. whannon's background is in Chemistry, so she has a little better insight into balancing her recipes than many other soap stirrers. Stirling is about as good, but, IMO, my Cremogena beats them both.

Yogurt is overrated and just slows down the razor IME.

Yeah, why would you want it? In my experience it has little to do with shave performance.

The best lathers tend to look a bit snotty, not like Santa Claus.

Lol, for sure!

Tabac is an amazing performer, probably one of the best....but the scent just puts me off. And my wife also cant handle it.

I love SV soaps!! They are also top performers . but ive since opted for unscented soaps now.

Only recently after about 4 years of wet shaving are scented soaps starting to irritate my skin a little. Strange...never had an issue until now.

I have to start giving some stuff away soon...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sensitivity to products can develop over time due to the nature of shaving- I've had it happen at least twice. Best to avoid strong scents in the first place. A soap's scent shouldn't be detectable hours after you shave.

Stirling sells a "Naked and Smooth" soap that's unscented, and Van Der Hagen's soaps are all mildly scented. Beyond that, anything marketted for sensitive skin is generally OK.

Yeah, why would you want it? In my experience it has little to do with shave performance.

The best lathers tend to look a bit snotty, not like Santa Claus.

Sensitivity to products can develop over time due to the nature of shaving- I've had it happen at least twice. Best to avoid strong scents in the first place. A soap's scent shouldn't be detectable hours after you shave.

Stirling sells a "Naked and Smooth" soap that's unscented, and Van Der Hagen's soaps are all mildly scented. Beyond that, anything marketted for sensitive skin is generally OK.

I found out what actually caused the sensitivity and has since eliminated it.

Its not the shaving products.

However, i used my new wholly kaw last night and it certainly has the yogurty lather i love.

Got some declaration grooming arriving today which i know has the same type of lather.

Happy shaves!

You can try some Soap Commander Integrity (unscented). It is a "veggie" soap but I can get some great "yogurt" lather out of it!!

In the truly yogurty lather category, I think the following are the top choices:

- Grooming Dept Lusso
- Declaration Grooming Milksteak
- Ariana and Evans Goat Milk Formula
- Australian Private Reserve "Raconteur" (this new LE scent came in the F2 base, but the F2 base now is MUCH more yogurt-like than was the case in the past...older F2 soaps are not as yogurty).

Grooming Dept Fortis formulae

Odd, that's the only Grooming Department soap I have that won't give me a yogurt'y lather. Must be a technique thing... All the other recent GD soaps have been super yogurty for me, along with Declaration Grooming, Wholly Kaw and Barrister and Mann excelsior.

Declaration grooming is defo the best yogurty lather! Slickness and post shave is amazing.

I've just got the Grooming Dept Aion soap and it is not giving me a thick lather, although it's thin and slick with a great post shave. Is this what others are getting from this one?

Any recommendations on soaps thats provide a thick yogurt’y lather?

Soaps ive used that provide a lather like this are.

Declaration grooming
Wholly Kaw
Phoenix and beau

So would like to add to the den.

Any recommendations?

Also unscented if possible.

I think this is what you're looking for:
ADC097D0-C72B-4E5A-A9A5-9BF907C98788.jpeg

This was from DG (old Bison tallow base). Others that also do this from my experience are:
-A&E (goat milk & lanolin base)
-Wholly Kaw (Bufala base)
-Shannon's Soaps
-B&M (Reserve base)
-Midnight & Two
-Grooming Department
-to a lesser degree: Tabac, Fine, Sudsy Soapery, Stirling,

Haven't tried the following, but I think these also provide low structure lather:
-Murphy & McNeil
-Tallow & Steel
-APR

I think this is what you're looking for:
View attachment 1047072

This was from DG (old Bison tallow base). Others that also do this from my experience are:
-A&E (goat milk & lanolin base)
-Wholly Kaw (Bufala base)
-Shannon's Soaps
-B&M (Reserve base)
-Midnight & Two
-Grooming Department
-to a lesser degree: Tabac, Fine, Sudsy Soapery, Stirling,

Haven't tried the following, but I think these also provide low structure lather:
-Murphy & McNeil
-Tallow & Steel
-APR
I thought that was Elmer's glue.lol
Just kidding but sometimes I wonder about the sour cream , Elmer's glue or yogurt etc. Comparisons. I think some yogurt looks like sour cream, which is all good until you taste it and it's actually Elmer's glue.lol.
Seriously that does look like a good mix on your hand. Hope you're doing okay shave pastor

I thought that was Elmer's glue.lol
Just kidding but sometimes I wonder about the sour cream , Elmer's glue or yogurt etc. Comparisons. I think some yogurt looks like sour cream, which is all good until you taste it and it's actually Elmer's glue.lol.
Seriously that does look like a good mix on your hand. Hope you're doing okay shave pastor

Yes sir, doing great! Been super busy this year & haven't been as active on here as I used to. I'm still enjoying the great art of shaving!

If you really like Yogurt'y, you could try Lusso by Grooming Dept. It is a little too "over-the-top" for me regarding how dense it is for my taste, but it was pretty striking.

Top Bottom