What's new

YMMV

We've all heard the term, "youre milage may vary" in that something that works well for others may not work well for you. Ive been reminded of this recently when I saw a couple videos that Youtuber Nick Shaves posted, one entitled, "choose a better blade!" where he said how he bought the Wilkinson Sword TTO razor and didnt like the Wilkinson Sword blades that it came with and how Personna Blues were better and another entitled, "are Feather blades the best?" where he tries to make the case for why Feather blades are the best DE blades on the market.
I kind of laughed at these videos because he fails to point out that those may be the best blades for him but that doesnt mean they are the best blades for everyone and you certainly couldnt say that brand x is better than brand y just beause you like it better or that brand x is hands down the best DE blade on the market.
Ive used German Wilkies and they are a good middle of the road blade. Ive also use Personna Blues and find that theyre just OK. I actually find those 2 blades to be very comparable.
That is why its so very difficult to answer what the best blade, razor, brush, soap or aftershave is because everything is so subjective and no one piece of gear is going to be the best for everyone.
Having said that, Id also like the say I normally really enjoy Nick's videos for the most part. Im just not a big fan of the way that he does his reviews sometimes.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I kind of laughed at these videos because he fails to point out that those may be the best blades for him but that doesnt mean they are the best blades for everyone and you certainly couldnt say that brand x is better than brand y just beause you like it better or that brand x is hands down the best DE blade on the market.

This is common knowledge on B&B and I agree with you 100%. We can all find the best blade(s) for us and make suggestions about which blades one might try, but we cant predict which might be the best blade(s) for anyone else.

That goes to every other aspect too. Brushes, razors, soaps, you name it. Its all based on an individual. The more we all learn, the better the advice we can give but its up to each of us to find the best things for us.

We've all heard the term, "youre milage may vary" in that something that works well for others may not work well for you. Ive been reminded of this recently when I saw a couple videos that Youtuber Nick Shaves posted, one entitled, "choose a better blade!" where he said how he bought the Wilkinson Sword TTO razor and didnt like the Wilkinson Sword blades that it came with and how Personna Blues were better and another entitled, "are Feather blades the best?" where he tries to make the case for why Feather blades are the best DE blades on the market.
Ive used German Wilkies and they are a good middle of the road blade. Ive also use Personna Blues and find that theyre just OK. I actually find those 2 blades to be very comparable.
That is why its so very difficult to answer what the best blade, razor, brush, soap or aftershave is because everything is so subjective and no one piece of gear is going to be the best for everyone.
Having said that, Id also like the say I normally really enjoy Nick's videos for the most part. Im just not a big fan of the way that he does his reviews sometimes.

Great points!! There is no ‘best’ for everyone.

My skin and beard are different from yours. We have different budgets and expectations. My tastes change over time, etc. Bottom line: it unrealistic to expect that your best and my best are precisely the same!!

I stopped watching his videos long time ago because he can shave his mug with just about anything at abnormal speed without any visible irritation, yet he b****es about his sensitive skin.

When I see him put his razor down after 2nd pass because it just hurts too much (happened to me more than once), then I will buy that he has "sensitive skin"

Reviews and opinions are only a guide to what you might like . Everyone has different skin, beard, times per week they shave. Brush, the quality of lather you might make etc. In a way, the reviews and comments on Amazon are as good as anything for seeing what might work for you.
You also need to read between the lines! Many times have I been about to buy a soap, until at the end of a review he says it is almost as good as Arko!!!!

Top Bottom