What's new

Yixing 101

At home I use a gaiwan - its pretty easy to get the hang of and I got mine in Chinatown for $5. As mentioned above, its glazed, so can be used for different teas without any problems.

Yixings are unglazed and can take on the flavour of the teas brewed in them over time - so best to keep one for each type (as in cooked vs. raw pu'erh, oolong, etc...) of tea you use.

As mentioned above, the inexpensive yixings can be less than ideal, with problems ranging from outright fakery to poorly fitting lids, etc.

At work, I use a very cheap lidded mug with a removable strainer (not a tea ball). The strainer is quite large relative to the size of the mug and allows for very good water circulation. While purists may cringe, it works quite well and I've not noticed any impact on the flavour from the fine metal mesh strainer.

I use this for my daily tea. It makes a single cup and all I have to do is refill with water for another. I don't use the metal screen that came with it since there are grooves that work great. That way I don't get any metal taste at all. I love it. It's a little expensive but I am worth it. After all I do use it at work everyday.Also, it is glazed on the inside so you won't get a taste from the pot as with unglazed.Plus it fits right in the palm of your hand when caryying it. You just have to hold it a certain way when it has hot water in it.
http://www.rishi-tea.com/store/seiyu-shiboridashi.html

Someone should toss together and sticky a quick "Tea Tutorial." I do enjoy a good cup of tea, and while I'm sure none of these techniques are particularly complicated, it isn't exactly the same as throwing a bag of Lipton in a mug and letting it do its thing.

I pose a question to the Yixing experts that may have been already answered.

Is there much harm in leaving wet leaves in the pot overnight? I know if wet leaves are kept inside for extended periods you run the risk of growing undesirable bacteria.

Sometimes in a late afternoon tea tasting I do not finish infusing my pu-erh leaves, what am I to do with the partially use leaves?

What is the general concensus from the more informed tea crowd?

I pose a question to the Yixing experts that may have been already answered.

Is there much harm in leaving wet leaves in the pot overnight? I know if wet leaves are kept inside for extended periods you run the risk of growing undesirable bacteria.

Sometimes in a late afternoon tea tasting I do not finish infusing my pu-erh leaves, what am I to do with the partially use leaves?

What is the general concensus from the more informed tea crowd?

I've kept tea leaves in the teapot over a weekend before but have no problems using the teapot for tea :tongue_sm

I just rinse the pot like I do every time, with really hot water, swirling it around and "scrubbing" it a little with my finger. Doing this and discarding the first steeping (as is the norm, anyway) will probably do enough to prevent too much bacterial growth. Tea leaves are also quite Tannic, which I believe is an antiseptic of sorts..

In response to a previous poster's comments regarding using different tea leaves in the same Yi-Xing.. I commit to Oolongs, but use different types in the same teapot.. I think this actually helps season the teapot and gives the tea more of a complex flavor.. this will evolve as your choice of tea changes of course.

Regarding your signature.. I'm in total agreement unless you're drinking tea.. in which case try exhaling through the nose :001_smile
-\Visdom

While some may protest, I routinely leave my pu-erh tea leaves in the pot overnight if I have not finished using them.

Leaving them out is OK - there's nothing boiling water can't kill :)

Some pu'er gets a little bit sweeter, a little bit more vanilla-like, after being left out. No problem :ihih:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom