What's new

A Blackbird, Wolf and Bishop Walk Into A Bar...

I'm also a fan of my Brass'Bird. On Sundays I work early and use a one pass Atg shave to prepare. Today I used the Brass'Bird. It gave an acceptable shave with no issues, but not near as close as last Sunday with a WR1. But part of the equation here is blades. The Wolf had the advantage of a better blade. Very curious about that new CG lvl 2 razor. Spoiled for choice for sure.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Very curious about that new CG lvl 2 razor.
That is a very sweet razor. I have always loved the Level 2 and own a few in both Gen 1 and 2, and all the metals. But the smoothness of the Wolfman razors always trumped the Level 2. As the Wolfman is my very favorite razor, the Gen 1 and 2 Level 2’s run a close second. Everything else doesn’t manage to keep up in my den.

This new one, Gen 3 if you will, is approaching Wolfman smoothness, with no perceptible drop in efficiency. I am only a couple of shaves in, but I am loving it way more than I wanted to. After I get through the honeymoon period with this razor, I will have to do a head to head with all three generations of the Level 2 to more accurately determine how their efficiency relates to one another. But so far this new Level 2 has been providing amazing shaves.

67F79FFC-5503-4F5A-810F-BCDD0DCDB1BA.jpeg

C130FEF8-C36E-4A68-ADA2-17BA47C3A71B.jpeg

Thank you.

I thought you had that Wolfman group, but sometimes I confuse one person's collection with someone else's. Nice collection!

All of your Wolfman razors including the WR1 and the 1.55 are smoother than the Blackbird! Wow!

So, you're not saying the Blackbird is as smooth as the 1.25. Can you say how the Blackbird is comparable to the 1.25? In closeness of the shave? In blade feel? What?

I have the Blackbird SB and OC and also have the WR2 1.15 and 1.35. They're all good, but how they compare is beyond me.

Sometimes I think the WR2 razors to buy if you're going to have just two are the 0.95 and the 1.55, but of course I have neither of those. I like the ones I have just fine of course.

I'm not saying the 1.25 and the 'Bird don't compare, but just trying to figure it out better.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I would really like to know how you would compare the Blackbird SB &OC plates.

I have the Blackbird polished OC razor that gives me the closest shave of any razor I have used, and that includes my R41 GS. What I don't find is the smoothness so many talk about especially when using a steep angle. As I go steep the teeth seem to dig into my skin. Is this a result of the open comb teeth and the solid comb without teeth is smoother? To add I use very little pressure.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

I have the Blackbird polished OC razor that gives me the closest shave of any razor I have used, and that includes my R41 GS. What I don't find is the smoothness so many talk about especially when using a steep angle. As I go steep the teeth seem to dig into my skin. Is this a result of the open comb teeth and the solid comb without teeth is smoother? To add I use very little pressure.
Yes, the OC plate ‘feels’ sharper and more aggressive with a steep angle to me as well. The SB ‘feels’ smoother.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I don't find these baseplates to be much different.

Blackbird.WSC:CG Handle.640.JPG

BlackFriday2021.Z-Horse.BlackbirdOC.Braas.CK-6.640JPG.JPG

Everyone told me the OC had a lot more blade feel. Maybe it has more but I wouldn't say it's all that different.

There are OC razors with combs which I find bothersome and uncomfortable and kinda sharp, using them as I use all razors, steep, but I can't say the Blackbird OC seems to me to be in that category.

I'm certainly not an expert on anything about the Blackbird razors. Used to be I didn't like the Blackbird. Now, with a shorter and thicker handle, and with, I suppose, more experience and better technique, I like the BBB a good bit. It's not the razor I most reach for, but I like it when I use it, SB or OC.

That probably doesn't help.

You should buy or borrow the SB. That should help, right?

Happy shaves,

Jim

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

Yes, the OC plate ‘feels’ sharper and more aggressive with a steep angle to me as well. The SB ‘feels’ smoother.

Dan is correct. The OC plate is sharper on the skin. However, I had a first run Blackbird originally, and those plates were much sharper. The newer ones were rounded off a bit for comfort. This was true for both the OC and the SB plates. So if you have a really old BB, that may be part of it. This was totally noticeable when I got my later Blackbird. Much easier on the face.

PS… if you want smooth and highly efficient, buy a Wolfman. 😎

Thanks Brad, at some point I will probably order a Wolfman. What I’m trying to understand right now is how I see so many say the BB is smooth at a steep angle and I don’t find that to be the case with the OC plate I am using. I just ordered a SB plate too see if it gives me a smoother shave than the OC I currently have.

My goal is not finding the one perfect razor it is enjoying the vast differences my many different razors offer. Such a great hobby.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My goal is not finding the one perfect razor it is enjoying the vast differences my many different razors offer. Such a great hobby.

Agree. I’ve had literally hundreds of razors, and I love so many of them. The Blackbird is certainly unique and has its charms. I sold my first one, and really missed it. So I bought this one I have now. It fits in with my top rotation very nicely. If I ever were to downsize my razor arsenal, I’d still probably keep at least 20 razors. I need to have at least that much variety to keep it interesting.

Thanks Brad, at some point I will probably order a Wolfman. What I’m trying to understand right now is how I see so many say the BB is smooth at a steep angle and I don’t find that to be the case with the OC plate I am using. I just ordered a SB plate too see if it gives me a smoother shave than the OC I currently have.

Don't forget to share your experience with us once you have had a few shaves with your new SB plate.
I'm highly interested in a Blackbird SB vs OC comparision in terms of efficiency and smoothness.

Don't forget to share your experience with us once you have had a few shaves with your new SB plate.
I'm highly interested in a Blackbird SB vs OC comparision in terms of efficiency and smoothness.
I am excited and will share the differences I find in both plates.

Blackbird is my favorite razor and bang for buck I would say rolls with the big dogs.
The first time I used it sang as i mowed the whiskers down. Glad you gave it another chance

Got my new SB base plate and did 2 shaves with it and 2 shaves with the OC plate using a new Personna I R. I noticed 2 things of note with the SB and neither is good:

1- The SB felt not smoother but rougher than the OC.

2- The SB did not glide very well like it was skipping or feeling sticky.

In looking at the leading edge of the SB plate, it feels sharp. I don’t have another razor that feels even close to this sharp. I’m guessing this sharpness makes the shave feel rough and also plows away the soap in front of the blade causing the skipping. The teeth on the OC plate are also sharp, but they allow some soap through so I don’t get the skipping.

I will work on the angle to go more shallow and see how that helps with both problems.

I do want to point out that the OC plate is very efficient, but not as smooth as I would like. I will work on the angle with both bases to see I can improve the shave.

Thank you @Cannon Cocker for sharing your impressions. That's a pity your results were subpar.

But maybe consider switching blades. I realised I'm getting smooth / excellent results with the Blackbird OC whenever I load a very sharp blade (say Feather, BIC Platinum Chrome). Whilst most users swear on a steep angle I prefer a more shallow/neutral angle. It's a YMMV thing but for me the different angle avoids any significant scratchiness from the comb's teeth.

The Personna Platinum Chrome blades didn't work for me in this razor. IMO the PIR is a super solid and smooth blade but in terms of sharpness it is a "middle of the road" one only. That's why many favour this blade. I do, too - but not when attached to the Blackbird.

Last edited:
Thank you @Cannon Cocker for sharing your impressions. That's a pity your results were subpar.

But maybe consider switching blades. I realised I'm getting smooth / excellent results with the Blackbird OC whenever I load a very sharp blade (say Feather, BIC Platinum Chrome). Whilst most users swear on a steep angle I prefer a more shallow/neutral angle. It's a YMMV thing but for me the different angle avoids any significant scratchiness from the comb's teeth.

The Personna Platinum Chrome blades didn't work for me in this razor. IMO the PIR is a super solid and smooth blade but in terms of sharpness it is a "middle of the road" one only. That's why many favour this blade. I do, too - but not when attached to the Blackbird.
realized... favor...
Sorry for the typos :rolleyes1

Last edited:
Top Bottom