What's new

Yintal Bronze: first look

The R41 is no more a rigid design than the typical EJ head. They both support the blade in the same way and the same amount.>>

Mike - I'm not entirely sure this is correct, not the R41 with the Yintal cap. I don't have massive magnification, but with the magnifying glass I have the blade appears to sit on the top of the combs which would make it very rigid. That is, the blade is either sitting on the combs or fractionally above them - it's very close and I can't really see. The razor feels pretty solid in operation - no complaints about wavering blades with this top cap. It's a different geometry. You'll probably say that if it touched the combs it wouldn't cut, but it's actually very efficient - and also smooth.

The R41 is no more a rigid design than the typical EJ head. They both support the blade in the same way and the same amount.>>

Mike - I'm not entirely sure this is correct, not the R41 with the Yintal cap. I don't have massive magnification, but with the magnifying glass I have the blade appears to sit on the top of the combs which would make it very rigid. That is, the blade is either sitting on the combs or fractionally above them - it's very close and I can't really see. The razor feels pretty solid in operation - no complaints about wavering blades with this top cap. It's a different geometry. You'll probably say that if it touched the combs it wouldn't cut, but it's actually very efficient - and also smooth.
I believe Mike is correct, the difference in the two designs is the area between the rails and comb/safety bar, the blade on the R41 is supported there, on the 89 it is not, at least that's how it looks to me .
proxy.php

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
and comb/safety bar, the blade on the R41 is supported there

I believe the hybrid design of the comb on the R41 should support the blade, and it very well may on some, but mine may not be typical.

I believe razors of this design are copied by so many because the original design patent has worn off so its open to the free market. I have no idea who first designed it. Thats a job for @jmudrick the patent bloodhound. :tongue_sm

I believe the hybrid design of the comb on the R41 should support the blade, and it very well may on some, but mine may not be typical.

I believe razors of this design are copied by so many because the original design patent has worn off so its open to the free market. I have no idea who first designed it. Thats a job for @jmudrick the patent bloodhound. :tongue_sm
I don't know of any recent patents. European razors of the 30s were already incorporating rails on platform with lather channel designs.

Looks nice, like a Maggard V3A/Razorock Mentor head on a Feather AS-D2 knock-off handle. If the head is made of brass that would be a step up over the V3A/Mentor.

Last edited:
Nice review. I just took delivery of mine a couple days ago but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. To be honest I also got it as a doner razor as I've heard good things about this top cap with a fatip oc base plate (of which I also just received two)

Looking forward to mixing and matching.

Wow, that's ironic, I just got the same razor in the mail yesterday! I will also be doing a review once I use it. The only difference is that I didn't see the pack of blades in my package. xD

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After two uses, will say it's a great shaver as-is. Handle is heavy enough, though, to detract from the feel.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hacksawed - rather neatly, for me - the last centimeter or so segment off the end.

Now it handles much nicer, though it may still be a little heavy.

Can take some off the top/ threaded end if I want - it's drilled and threaded almistan inch.

The stock is buttery soft brass, though the finish may be electroplated bronze.

AA

Is this razor Magard V3A aggressive or Ikon Tech aggressive? Or something else entirely?

I've got the V3A and it's not aggressive enough for my taste.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Is this razor Magard V3A aggressive or Ikon Tech aggressive? Or something else entirely?

I've got the V3A and it's not aggressive enough for my taste.

Hm, don't have either, but it's a smooth shave. Not mild, imho.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm calling this the Weeper King. Switching to a milder razor tomorrow to rest my face.

Think the handle weight is numbing my ability to not feel pressure ... still, it looks great.

AA

Think the handle weight is numbing my ability to not feel pressure

The not being able to feel pressure due to the handle weight is about the same experience I had the first time out. I didn't have any weepers or irritation or anything though.
We shall see how I get on with it in the morning though.

Top Bottom