What's new

Yet another watch question.

I have been following some of the recent watch threads and have always wanted to be able to wear a watch. I kill battery operated watches, they just stop working after I wear them for about a week. I can take them off and they will start working again. I have been thinking about getting one of the automatic watches but have to spend over $100 on a watch that might work or not.

I have checked on some of the seiko 5, orient, or maybe one of the russian knock offs that are on ebay. I think that I can get one for under $100 but do not know anything about watches. Can anybody offer any advice on a cheap automatic?

Danny

They're a great deal for an inexpensive automatic watch. Seiko makes their own movements and the quality is good for the price. If you wanted to get something a little nicer, think about a a Seiko "Monster" or an SKX 007 divers watch.

I have been following some of the recent watch threads and have always wanted to be able to wear a watch. I kill battery operated watches, they just stop working after I wear them for about a week. I can take them off and they will start working again. I have been thinking about getting one of the automatic watches but have to spend over $100 on a watch that might work or not.

I have checked on some of the seiko 5, orient, or maybe one of the russian knock offs that are on ebay. I think that I can get one for under $100 but do not know anything about watches. Can anybody offer any advice on a cheap automatic?

Danny

I just bought a Seiko 5 SNK809 on ebay for about $70. Just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. If everything I read is true, its a damn fine watch for the money!

proxy.php

Take a look at the Invicta 8926. It's usually available under $100 shipped, and it has a bit of a cult following out there. Google it and you'll find some loving reviews.

All good selections. You might also look at Parnis and Alpha watches. They use Chinese movements that are good replicas of some of the Swiss movements. Many of the Parnis watches are homages to high-end brands.

So what watches appeal to you? Large? Round? With bezel? Dark face or light?

I think, for the money, the Orient Mako is a great watch although I don't own one. They usually have specials for as much as half off on their website.

But be careful getting advice around here. Some of these guys are watchaholics!

+100 on the Seiko 5's I have 4 different ones, from new to mid 70's model...great watch.

I have a great seller on e**y that I can tell you about. He has a Seiko 5 see through for 59.00 shipped on a buy it now.

The only other suggestion would be maybe some of the new autos at Wally world that I have been seeing. Armitrons...don't know if they are going to last like the Seiko's.

Marty

Are you looking into an automatic because of the battery issue? This same thing happens to my wife. I bought her a Citzen Eco-Drive which works fine. You might want to consider that option as well. Although I prefer automatic watches, unless you are wearing them every day, the battery will last about 48 hours between "charges" while the Eco-Drive can last much longer.

I just bought a Seiko 5 SNK809 on ebay for about $70. Just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. If everything I read is true, its a damn fine watch for the money!

proxy.php

+1 on the Seiko5 +1 on the snk809... Other option could be solar powered quartz, lots of solar/atomic Gshocks in that price range. Is there a name for your disorder?

The wife says the name for my disorder is "weird". I also have a problem with wearing gold, it breaks my skin out, so I just do not wear jewelry at all. I really would like to be able to wear a watch and hope that the automatic will work. I did see several of the Chinese knock offs and wondered about ordering from people in Singapore or the like, has anyone had any success?

Both Croton and Invicta make inexpensive automatic watches. I don't have any personal experience with Croton but I've got an Invicta and I'm happy with it.

I would recommend Orient. They are offering some great deals and free shipping and a fine product. Here is the multi eyes series I recently bought:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife says the name for my disorder is "weird". I also have a problem with wearing gold, it breaks my skin out, so I just do not wear jewelry at all. I really would like to be able to wear a watch and hope that the automatic will work. I did see several of the Chinese knock offs and wondered about ordering from people in Singapore or the like, has anyone had any success?

You don't have a problem with gold. Its hypoallergenic. You have problems with the nickel which is an alloy they use in typical gold mixes. If you wore 24K gold or Platinum you would not have a problem.

Top Bottom